Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony Announces new 405mn 100W laser

I don't see physical media surviving 10 years. Mark my words, 2020 everything will be streamed.

I read in PC magazine they have had a 350 gig disk for about 10 years now. So no worries with upcoming technology. In a couple of years the Blu-Ray will be coasters when they are unavailing Ultra High Def.

The broadband infrastructure of the United States, as it exists now, can't replace physical media. It's too much data, and we don't have the infrastructure for it.

Maybe there'll be a huge change in the next 10 years, but I REALLY don't see it happening to the point that physical media will be useless. Heck, current stats say that between 14 and 24 million people in the US can't even get broadband at all right now, much less enough to replace all physical media.

Broadband will become dominant, but physical media will stick around.

DTR

All data has to be stored physically somewhere. Storage clouds and streaming data are nice but I will never give up having a server or storage device of some type to store my personal data. For personal, safety, convince, legal, etc reasons.

They are working on multi terabyte bluray. Like when they change the angle of the diode for dual layer they can have 50 angles making it a fifty layer disk which would be 50x 25GB=1TB.

These guys are talking about a 200+ layer disk.
Want a 1TB optical drive? Call/Recall me ? The Register

Here is a article about the sony diode.
Blu-ray successor already in development? - AfterDawn

I already stream 100% of my media, no DVDs for me. I store a limited amount of music on my computer, but movies and TV stay in the RAM and leave when I'm done with them :p And if we're lucky when everyone moves to IPv6 and swaps hardware or they install a smart grid or something we can finally get GB/sec level broadband around the US.

Aside from multi-layer and multi-angle discs, 3D optical matrix storage that has no moving parts save maybe a DLP to steer the beam or beams is a holy grail of the storage community.

Systems with a thereoretical density of 1TB per cm^3 have been demonstrated as far back as the 90's. Although it took an entire lab's worth of equipment to do it.

So long term, a very powerful diode, even if only in pulse mode would be desirable because you're going to be splitting up beams on X, Y, and Z axes, and probably many times after that so it can do several parallel read/writes on the dye molecules at once.

What you'd have is a little cube of transparent plastic, with something like the photo-reactive properties of those changing eyeglasses, except it only changes back only when the "erase" beam hits it instead of fading on it's own. And the lasers can scan the cube focusing at any depth to reach a dot at any row or column desired. It would be like having the data surface of hundreds of Blu-Ray discs crushed up into a little cube.