Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Something I whipped up today

Well actually I started it yesterday and finished it today.

The host is a Sipik HK21 18650 flashlight (Tank007 HC-128 clone) That's had the nose shortened. Excluding the focus ring, the host + heatsink is about the same length the original flashlight was.

I made this particular one to work with the NJG-18 LED driver but it's long enough that a typical micro flexdrive or microboost could be used with a standard aixiz module.

Anyway.. pictures. I haven't decided what i'll load it out with. All I have are LPC-815 diodes on hand. This driver will supposedly buck as well as boost, so I might just sacrifice one to experiment.

100_0671.JPG

100_0673.JPG

100_0674.JPG

100_0675.JPG

100_0676.JPG

Pretty cool, i like the ghost Fins :beer:

They were already on the host. I just machined the anodizing off of them to expose the aluminum, and tried (and failed, got carried away shorting the host and got the joining gap too narrow) to match the spacing when I cut the fins in my heatsink.

Here's a blurry iphone WIP pic.. I had just cut the threads and was making sure the host screwed on correctly before I did any more.

IMG_0073.JPG

Last edited:
Thats a pretty tight looking set-up there.
The heat-silk is great and I also like the tripod mount!:beer:

The tripod is actually off a tank007. These particular flashlights.. while exact clones of the tank007's, and therefor have the tripod mount.. don't actually come with the tripods. heh.

One thing I think is funny though, is that the tank007.. which is almost 3x the price of these.. the tripod thread on the light is some metric thread, and the tripods they come with are standard 1/4-20. These cheap lights are actually correctly threaded for 1/4-20, but don't come with tripods. Go figure.

Just out of curiosity qumefox, what sorts of lathe are you using?

I like machine tools :D

DTR

That host looks really sweet.:beer: Is that just a momentary switch or possibly a forward clicky?

It's a clicky. It started life as a flashlight heh. Don't see too many flashlights with momentary switches. At least I don't.

DTR

It seems to have a very nice grip and looks pretty well made.

I have also been building a lot of units with those drivers as well. They seem to work great with the 445 diodes and fit into most hosts replacing their existing drivers. I have not tried them with a red diode yet.

I did a 1250mW pocket mini the other day with full 5 modes.
I actually really enjoy having the different modes.
With an Aixiz lens it gives 50mW on low, 450mW on medium and peaks @ 1250mW on high.:evil:

Driver fits like a charm:yh:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/d...fications-compilation-60258-2.html#post859430
p1014890.jpg

Well this was pretty much the final prototype for this one. So from here on out all I make of these will most likely be for sale. I just need to see how long it takes me to machine a batch so I can decide on a price. Though the microboost/microflex versions will probably end up being cheaper. A lot quicker to drill a 12mm hole than it is to do the boring to make the pocket for the NJG-18.

I think the production versions will probably be one fin longer though. I'd like for aixiz modules to be able to fit unmodified. This one is just a touch short.

Last edited:
qumefox, What are the lathe teeth actually holding onto? Did you make something that attaches to the aluminum rod?

If you mean the one with the host screwed to it, that's the same hunk of aluminum. That end was just knurled from a previous project.

Yea... that is what I was talking about. It almost looks like they are separate pieces. I thought you might have found some kind of easy way to mount a piece onto another so that you don't get teeth marks on the piece :).

Generally I don't have a problem with teeth marks. So long as you don't get carried away with the jaw pressure, then usually all I have to deal with are shiny spots. And some 1000grit sand paper fixes those.

If your really worried about it, just bore your center hole and cut the piece to length first, then mount the piece on a mandrel and chuck that in the lathe to do your OD work.