Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some rare lasers for sale!

SOSDD

Re: Some rare lab lasers for sale!

I haven't heard back from sta yet. I'm actually surprised so many people are asking for these this time around. They're very nice, they're quite stable for their power, and are very easy to maintenance. The driver is connected with a connector making it easy to remove the module with less hassle.

I only have two of these but since I have two spare hosts and I know of someone who has more of these I can make some more if they're popular. They don't really help my situation much $ wise, but I'd be happy to make them if you guys want them.

I'm definitely interested, let me know,

Thanks!!

Ok, guess that means my 675's are sold probably. I have two built, and I have access to a third diode, so I'll make one more. I however do not know if I have anymore 9 mm modules so may have a delay on one as I'll probably have to go on buy one for it. Think I only have 5.6mms left, but I'll check when I get home. It's been a quite a long time since I've built one of these! It's been quite a while since I've started diving in the professional lab lasers!

Sta, Bowtieguy, and SOSDD would be all 3 of those.

Last edited:

What was the source for the 675nm diodes?

I don't remember exactly but I think they came out of some fancy laser levels I found on eBay. I dug through my closet and found that I did have one more that was in foam. It probably still works.

SOSDD

So since I was the third wheel if you will wanting the 675 I'm assuming that I will have to wait untill that last laser is built. Please let me know when it's ready,

Thanks!!

Sta

Hey kaiser, have you got any update on the 612 yet? :)

So since I was the third wheel if you will wanting the 675 I'm assuming that I will have to wait untill that last laser is built. Please let me know when it's ready,

Thanks!!

I will. I tested it, and the diode works fine. Its driver however doesn't have the removable plug, the leads are soldered on, unlike the other two for some reason, although that isn't a big deal really. I will need to get another 9mm module for it however, as the only two I have left are 3.8 and 5.6mm. I am of course missing the one that I need. murphy's law. Time to hit up DTR.

The other two are tested, and I have them hand set, and they are doing 20.5 (silver host)and 20.2mW (Black host) respectively. They're not at max current however and will easily do more, but I set them that way for the sake of a long life, and to help with trying to keep the wavelength correct. Beautiful deep fire engine red color, though not as dark and flat as the ruby 690nm region.

Hey kaiser, have you got any update on the 612 yet? :)

Yes, actually. I tested it last night and just hadn't gotten around to posting the results. I did end up digging it out and while the supply's leads are short, it works fine. If you have some HV rated wire it wouldn't be hard to just make them longer again. (Short supplies don't usually have aldens as they usually have leads going to a pcb and mounts inside of equipment or enclosures or something.) not sure who trimmed the supply, it was given to me this way, but since I already have another supply for this power region, it's always been reserved as a backup. a nice low noise 12VDC in (preferrably fused) will spit out probably 1-1.5kVDC @ 4mA out. It says 1250V on the supply label, but that's probably because it was likely matched to a tube that was rated that long ago. I'm not sure what the current draw is, but it's probably under an amp. I didn't test that. I added solder clips to it so that you don't have to wrap bare leads around the tube, and cleaned it up a bit so it's a bit neater too.

I'll take $550 if you're ok with that. (500 for the tube, and the supply is 50)

Sta

Thanks for the reply, Kaiser. I think $550 would be great!
One thing, though - would you be able to permanently attach the supply to the tube for me? I wouldn't like to be shocked by the PSU due to an error made from lack of experience.

Edit: I'd also like the silver host 675!

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply, Kaiser. I think $550 would be great!
One thing, though - would you be able to permanently attach the supply to the tube for me? I wouldn't like to be shocked by the PSU due to an error made from lack of experience.

Edit: I'd also like the silver host 675!

Sadly no, and that's not really how it works my friend. The hazard will always be there, no matter what you do. Although you could put it inside of a box of some kind. I've done that before. get a wooden base, and screw mounts into it, then mount the power supply in next to it and wire it up with a jack and switch for power input and boom. instant DIY tabletop lab hene laser. If you're not comfortable working with HV maybe this isn't the toy for you though. I don't feel good about sending a rare tube like this to someone with no experience. No offense meant, but it's too valueble to just send out to someone who doesn't understand it. Maybe you should start with a red one, and then get the orange later...

Sta

Sadly no, and that's not really how it works my friend. The hazard will always be there, no matter what you do. Although you could put it inside of a box of some kind. I've done that before. get a wooden base, and screw mounts into it, then mount the power supply in next to it and wire it up with a jack and switch for power input and boom. instant DIY tabletop lab hene laser. If you're not comfortable working with HV maybe this isn't the toy for you though. I don't feel good about sending a rare tube like this to someone with no experience. No offense meant, but it's too valueble to just send out to someone who doesn't understand it. Maybe you should start with a red one, and then get the orange later...

Well, if you could build it into this box for $600 or so total, would you be willing to send it to me like that?

Probably, but I have no idea what the cost would be. machining acrylic and wood isn't expensive, but it isn't cheap either. I'd have to do some research.

Realistically, I'd just suggest familiarizing yourself with how to use them safely. It's still good information to know, and learning electricity and how it works is useful for pretty much all walks of life. in this case, don't touch while running, and if it is recently shut off, then discharge before taking it apart. all you really need a resistor to remove the start/remaining voltage after you turn it off really. its quite simple.

Sta

Probably, but I have no idea what the cost would be. machining acrylic and wood isn't expensive, but it isn't cheap either. I'd have to do some research.

Realistically, I'd just suggest familiarizing yourself with how to use them safely. It's still good information to know, and learning electricity and how it works is useful for pretty much all walks of life. in this case, don't touch while running, and if it is recently shut off, then discharge before taking it apart. all you really need a resistor to remove the start/remaining voltage after you turn it off really. its quite simple.

I think I can deal with that - doing the research should not be too hard.
In the worst case scenario, you will get a painful shock, correct?

Pretty much. I've had it happen a couple times. small tubes it's not bad, like a strong static shock. Bigger ones are more dangerous, but small tubes like this don't really hurt that much. most HeNe stuff isn't lethal, but it is potentially dangerous under the wrong circumstances. I wouldn't warrant touching it on purpose, but for a gas laser, they're pretty benign. compared to a HeCd or an Ion laser, or similar, which consume far more power and most definitely can roast you like a burnt crepe! :tinfoil: If you'd like, I can hold the orange for now, or send you a red tube with it or something to practice on. I have a couple small 5-6" reds left. I usually let them go for around $35 ish. The danger is more not from killing yourself, but more concerning that a jerk reflex could cause you to drop or smack the tube and cause it to break. I've seen more than one get nudged off a table or dang close.

Sta

Pretty much. I've had it happen a couple times. small tubes it's not bad, like a strong static shock. Bigger ones are more dangerous, but small tubes like this don't really hurt that much. most HeNe stuff isn't lethal, but it is potentially dangerous under the wrong circumstances. I wouldn't warrant touching it on purpose, but for a gas laser, they're pretty benign. compared to a HeCd or an Ion laser, or similar, which consume far more power and most definitely can roast you like a burnt crepe! :tinfoil: If you'd like, I can hold the orange for now, or send you a red tube with it or something to practice on. I have a couple small 5-6" reds left. I usually let them go for around $35 ish. The danger is more not from killing yourself, but more concerning that a jerk reflex could cause you to drop or smack the tube and cause it to break. I've seen more than one get nudged off a table or dang close.

I typically keep my HeNes on the floor anyways, so the risk of damage from dropping the tube is fairly low. Also, I've been shocked by a 19 inch HeNe before, so this one shouldn't be too bad even in the worst case.

I'm definitely still up for the orange!

ah, I do see you have a larger lasos in your sig. yeah I've been shocked by a 3200V hene supply. yow! took all my willpower not to drop the tube i was holding. felt like someone had kicked me in the gut HARD. these little ones aren't bad. it's like bad static. I accidentally brushed my pinky over an 098-1 uniphase barcode scanner back in the day causing it to buzz as it restarted over and over against my finger. it just kinda gave me a glorified tingle on my finger. not fun. complete heads aren't bad since they're contained, but bare tubes are just so pretty to look at :) I love my 127, which is about a meter long.

Largest HeNe I ever worked on was a SP-125A with the extender. over twice as long and it weighs over 100 lbs. took a team of guys to carry it down the stairs. and another guy to carry the psu. big ass thing!

Unfortunately no but I do have a supply I could let go of, that should work with it. It was running the green one fine, and it's far more picky than the orange is. I'll try it out and let you know. I think I have some spare solder clips laying around too.

As for the price that's at least reasonable ... but it is a little lower than I'd like. I'll definitely consider it though.

Just thought I'd pipe in "I love my 612." :)

But getting hold of one is the trick.
Laserman121 got an unbelieveable price on his, but I think what you are asking is fair. Just my .02

Last edited: