Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLVED (hope :p) FF / noscript problem :p

HIMNL9

Just finished 2 days of backup right now (1,7 Tb on 2 different external disks), and going in "Format C:" mode (being more precise, format C:, D:, E:, F: and G:, and the last 4 are 500GB disks :p) ..... need to clean-up a year of mess from the work PC .....

Last time i had to do this, i realized i lost part of the backup data only when i ended the reinstallation of anything :oops: , so, say me "good luck" for this time :angel:

Last edited:

daguin

Re: Format C: mode :p

Buona Fortuna!

Possa la strada salire fino a incontrare te e il vento sempre in poppa
(Gaelic translated through English so it may not make much sense, but it is good :) )

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

Thanks to all :beer:

Back online (more or less :p) ..... perhaps this time i've lost only the Firefox bookmarks (til now ..... damn backup not worked correctly, but at least it seem saved the PWs :p), and the functionality of the "api.recaptcha.net" site, and consequently from all the sites that uses it (but this can be a bug from the 3.5.7 version of Firefox, i'm not sure ..... must check on some Mozilla forum)

Now starts the (looooooooooong) process to replace all the contents in the archive disks, discarding the mess and keeping the goods ..... but, at least, PC and internet restarted to work (almost) regularly :D

Well here is to some good luck!
Speri che abbiate buona fortuna questo volta. :)

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... still having problems with Firefox ..... noscript plugin don't work correctly, and block half of the sites, ALSO if i place them in the "safe list" .....

Anyone had similar problems, and if yes, knows if there's a solution ?

BTW, FF rev 3.5.7 and noscript rev 2.0.2.1 (appears as 2.0.1)

Re: After Format C: mode - FF / noscript problem :p

This was probably caused by you backing up the contents of the application data folder... Sounds like you either used a different version of the program, or maybe you used a different username for your login this time, changing the path to the profile folder... I dunno.

What I'd suggest is write down your saved passwords (go to preferences, security, saved passwords), then uninstall firefox, then delete your profile directory. In windows XP, it's in C:\documents and settings\username\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\... in vista/win7 it's in C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\xxxxxxx.default... in linux it's in ~/.mozilla/.

This will destroy all configuration information for firefox and all its addons. You may want to grab the bookmarks.html out of that folder before you delete it, it may or may not contain your favorites.

HIMNL9

Uhm, no, i started with a new installation, just backed up passwords, and they works ..... is the scripts management in the pages made from noscript plugin, that don't work.

I mean, when i try to use any site that need third-part authentication routines, like all the ones that uses api.recaptcha.net, as example (hotfile, tinypic, fileserve, and so on), if i left noscript turned on, none of them works, always gives "wrong code" or "invalid captcha" errors (and never shows the captcha boxes) ..... if i turn noscript off, or set it on "permit scripts globally" (that is the same that if i turn it off), these sites works correctly .....

I tried to place both the sites, domains and subdomains in the "trusted" list, both the captcha one and the served ones (as example, for fileserve, i placed in the "trusted" list fileserve.com, Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe, recaptcha.net and api.recaptcha.net, and also the complete http..... addresses), but there is nothing to do, they still don't work if the noscript plugin is turned on ..... sane for tinypic, and all the others.

It's really strange ..... i wrote also to the software house that made noscript, signaling the bug, but i don't really expect they reply me .....

How did you back up the passwords then? Firefox has no way to import or export its saved passwords. You MUST have copied files out of your profile directory. There's no other way to do it, and I'm pretty sure that's the cause of your problems. You are having javascript problems, caused by a faulty config file in noscript's directory. This would probably be caused by either changing the path to the config file, or copying a config file from an older version on top of a newer one.
Delete your profile directory and it'll solve all your problems. You will lose your passwords though. Write them down.

I don't mean to be rude, but I do know quite a lot about firefox, I've been using it as my primary browser since it was called phoenix. I compiled a version of netscape 5.0 long before the firefox project existed. I remember running pre-alpha releases of the gecko rendering engine with no UI chrome at all.

HIMNL9

How did you back up the passwords then? Firefox has no way to import or export its saved passwords. You MUST have copied files out of your profile directory. There's no other way to do it, and I'm pretty sure that's the cause of your problems. You are having javascript problems, caused by a faulty config file in noscript's directory. This would probably be caused by either changing the path to the config file, or copying a config file from an older version on top of a newer one.
Delete your profile directory and it'll solve all your problems. You will lose your passwords though. Write them down.

I don't mean to be rude, but I do know quite a lot about firefox, I've been using it as my primary browser since it was called phoenix. I compiled a version of netscape 5.0 long before the firefox project existed. I remember running pre-alpha releases of the gecko rendering engine with no UI chrome at all.

Yes, ofcourse i have copied the password files ..... sorry, probably i explained it in the wrong way ..... and no, you are not rude, i understand what you mean ..... but please, also consider that i'm a PC user from something like 25 years (more, probably ..... i lost the count :p), assemble and sell them, and started to use FF when explorer gone to rev 6 :p, so, normally before ask for help, you can be sure that i already have tried to find possible solutions or similar problems on the net and mozilla forums, and tried all that what come me in mind ;) .... when i start to ask around for solutions, it usually mean that my wall is starting to creek, for so much times i banged my head on it, not finding other solutions :banghead: :D .

Anyway ..... i copied from my profile directory the files key3.db / signons.sqlite for the passwords, permissions.sqlite for the settings, places.sqlite for the chronology, cookies.sqlite for the site cookies and bookmarks.html for the bookmarks ..... then, after the reinstallation of Firefox, reinstalled (NOT copied) the few plugins i use (noscript, adblock plus, cookiesafe and skipscreen, i don't use any other plugin, cause i only install the things that i judge useful), then copied back the files (except bookmarks, that was damaged), and tried it, and the problem was here.

Now i got a reply from the programmer of noscript, and i'm trying some tests for see if i can find the problem ..... already tried to uninstall Firefox, clean all the old files and registry entries, reinstall the last version of Firefox (3.6.8), reinstall the plugins (and not copying the old files), and the problem is still here ..... trying to uninstall the other plugins one by one and trying different combinations, for see if there's an incompatibility between different plugins, but this requires time and continuous restarts .....

Anyway, i can say you one thing for sure: until i had Firefox rev 3.5.5, there was no problems with this thing, it started when i updated FF to the 3.5.6, for the first time, but that time was enough make a new profile and reimport the pw files for solve it ..... now, instead, til now nothing to do ..... so i can say you only one thing for sure: from 3.5.6 version, something prevent some of the plugins to work correctly, and the problem becomed worse with the earlier updates.

EDIT: i decided to go in the "brutal way" :p :D

Uninstalled all, cleaned registry and files/folders, reinstalled all, one by one (except cookiesafe, that anyway was not too myuch helpful) ..... and the problem disappeared :confused:

Now, i have the suspect that, from the rev 3.5.6 (that was the first one that gave me this problem), Firefox have some bug somewhere, that record "wrong" or "bad" informations somewhere, that causes this problem, and these records remains also if you uninstall the non working programs and plugins, keeping the problem on.

I say this cause, when i've tried all the previous tests, disabling an uninstalling all the other plugins, for check compatibility, the problem was still here (also uninstalling all, except noscript, there was no way for make it work) ..... now instead, uninstalling and reinstalling ALL, included Firefox, the problem (til now, at least) is NOT reappeared ..... and this IS strange .....

I also tried to report this to mozilla organization, but i never received any reply from them, from the first time i done this, so i don't hope they take my reports too much in consideration :p

Anyway, at least til now, it's solved ..... *crossing all 20 fingers, and also the ..... nose :p*

Last edited: