Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Soldering

Andrew124C41

The Chinese soldering station I purchased on Amazon finally started giving me problems. The soldering pencil replacement is no longer available.
Anway, I have spent a lot of time researching different stations. All of them have complaints of one sort or another.

I would like to know what you guys are using.....what you are happy with.

Thanks

paul1598419

I have several, but my favorite is called the SMD Rework 852D+ Station. It has an iron with six different size tips plus hot air and is completely thermostatically controlled from 0 degrees C to 500 degrees C. I got it on eBay several years ago for ~$65. Not bad at all for what it can do.

Shmackitup

I have several, but my favorite is called the SMD Rework 852D+ Station. It has an iron with six different size tips plus hot air and is completely thermostatically controlled from 0 degrees C to 500 degrees C. I got it on eBay several years ago for ~$65. Not bad at all for what it can do.
How fast does the hot air heat up? I use a heat gun a lot for heat-shrink tubing but I'd like something faster than the 3 to 5 seconds it takes to heat up.

paul1598419

It heats up in a couple of seconds. It is made for reflow work, so it gets much hotter than you'd need for heat shrink work. But, it is totally adjustable.

paul1598419

The hot air gun also comes with several tips to accommodate whatever item you are trying to remove.

paul1598419

I used Weller stations for many years in my career. Sorry to hear they are no longer made here.

paul1598419

They had temperature controlled station back in the 1960s. Every place I've ever worked had them. They also had a gun style soldering iron for larger jobs. The tip was a long piece of copper. I doubt those are still available.

RedCowboy

I have a bunch of them, any temp controlled iron and a heat gun will do all you need, skill comes with time, use 63/37 rosin core, brace your hands, use a helping hand if needed and use plenty of light and/or a magnifier to see if needed.

Last edited:

Andrew124C41

I have a bunch of them, any temp controlled iron and a heat gun will do all you need, skill comes with time, use 63/37 rosin core, brace your hands, use a helping hand if needed and use plenty of light and/or a magnifier to see if needed.

Funny. I just pmd you about this. I have been soldering since I was a kid. Age makes it harder. I never bought into silver tin mix solder. I only solder with the same stuff you have. I have different diameters.

I have the usual metal mesh cleaner, sponge, tin of tinning compound, and an amoniac block I use for cleaning the tip.

I built an air cleaner from a bunch of fans I got from DTR, Charcoal, and an air filter. It is about 12 in square.

The soldering replacement pen is no longer available on Amazon. It is a Chinese 752D... something like that.

Have you ever seen this unit... very differentThermtronics