Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Soldering leads to diodes

Also.. you'll want the diode already pressed into a heatsink. If it's just floating free, it 1) makes it a lot harder to deal with as far as keeping it still, and 2) makes it a lot more likely you'll kill it from excess temperature.

You hardly ever use flux :crackup: then you don't know what you are missing !

I know most solder has rosin flux in the center, it's the cheapest type of flux there is that is why
you find it there because it didn't cost the mfr very much to put it in there.

I use a RMA type flux on every solder joint I make and ALL of my solder joints are shinny and tight.

this is the type of flux that is used on expensive assemblies like satellites and pace makers.

if any one is interested here is a link with some of the best solder flux I have found to date> http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/solder-flux-68199.html#post983856

FYI, I hardly ever use flux. Most diodes we deal with are harvested, and thusly pre-tinned. Most solder available already has flux in it anyway. You actually have to actively look to find non-rosin core solder these days. You should however pre-tin your wires.. and also USE THE PROPER SIZE WIRE. heh.

Thanks guys, great close up video!

Can you use plumbers flux?
NO!!!! NEVER USE PLUMBERS FLUX !!!

Plumbers Flux has acid in it not rosin... If you solder an electrical
joint with acid flux your solder joint will corrode over time and
even more so with current running through that joint...

I learned that the hard way over 25 years ago...:cryyy:

BTW... the easiest way of cleaning off excess Rosin flux is with high
percentage rubbing alcohol...

Jerry

Last edited:
751733.jpg

This is what i picked up for soldering although this is what i used the first time it didnt work to well with out a flux paste. BUT it could have been my technique.

What flux should i buy?

LaZeRz

Get some of the flux flaminpyro sells. Also pick up some of his silicone wire while your at it :) Its really cheap and will save you the trouble of breaking your laser diode pins. Its also extremely flexible.

Also, to actually make use of the rosin you have in your solder. You have to heat your wires up and then touch the solder to your iron. It should start spreading around your wire. If it doesn't completely cover your wire, leave your iron on it and touch your solder onto the rest of the wire.

When soldering the leads of a Laser Diode it is CRITICAL
not to leave your iron on the pin for too long.
The heat from your Iron can damage your LD by heat alone
if the LD is overheated.

A nice quick 1 second solder joint can easily be made with
practice....

You can use any Rosin Flux in Paste or Liquid form. The best
is to buy small diameter Rosin Core Flux. The flux will be
applied at the right amount as you make a joint.

FP sells some good Flux in a syringe when additional flux may
be required...

Jerry

Last edited:
As seen on one of the videos on THIS page, you gotta have a well heated, clean tipped, well tinned and fluxed joint to solder quickly and with style.

Use some sort of flux. My personal favorite is the flux syringe and/or flux pen. They happen to be pretty darn useful when it comes to soldering on the small scale. Keep the iron tip well coated with the solder and grab a large blob of solder onto the tip. Then simply touch (less than 2 seconds) the fluxed joint, with the two wires and the solder will flow right into it. Hold it steady for about 5 seconds and you have your well formed joint. Clean it up with some rubbing alcohol and then put some heatshrink over it to protect it from bends and other stuff.

Overall the stuff I mentioned should cost no more than 20$ for a good beginner's soldering set complete with decent liquid flux, solder, iron, sponge, alcohol, heatshrink. With this set, you can do all sorts of SMD mods and stuff. Perform all the things you need in the laser world.

Enough said. Or put up a cool new video....

Until I saw Foulmist's video, I had no idea of the small scale soldering involved with the diodes.

I can solder wires together, but this clearly requires some additional level of skill than that.:bowdown:

Thanks for this string, very helpful.

D

Deleted member 22482

I'm bumping this thread to ask a question, is 0.4mm more suitable then 0.8mm? (Wire)

I'm bumping this thread to ask a question, is 0.4mm more suitable then 0.8mm? (Wire)

I am currently using 0.4mm soldering wire. It's pretty easy with that ;) 0.8mm is a little fatter I don't like it. I always use 0.4mm but that's my choice :) :beer: