Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLD: Non-Working CNI GLP-589nm

Re: FS: Non-Working CNI GLP-589nm

And Lens? It has New?

It was very kind of rhd to include it for free.

The other thing I can contribute is that when this was sold to me, it was sold as having a damaged lens (it had come off, and in the process of trying to reattach it, Dr.Laser got glue on the optics). So before receiving it, I also ordered a replacement lens. The replacement lens is here, and I didn't even install it (since it was apparent that no yellow was coming out of the unit).

I'm happy to include the lens for whomever buys this from Dr.Laser.

To clarify though, I'm not party to this sale. I just happen to still have the laser here with me, since it made more sense for me not to ship it back to Dr.Laser in the UAE. But I am happy to help this process out by shipping it to whomever Dr.Laser directs me to ship it to.

If anyone feels that they can fix a green module, they should be able to fix this one using the same process.

This type of 589nm unit either uses a doubled DPSS process like a greenie, or using the frequency summation method. Both methods of getting 589 requires patience and a steady hand, but yellow can be had again if this is only an alignment problem.

One problem though, is that IR ouput cannot be tested with a webcam like with an ordinary greenie. So the buyer should have the problem narrowed down to only to issues:

1. Non-linear optics alignment
2. Pump source fizzled

DJNY

Can´t see what you´re doing here.

Pm´d you.

DJZ

So, did I win?

I wish people luck with this. With the rash of GPL 589 deaths of late.. mine included. I'm starting to think there may be a issue with moisture absorption in the LBO in these. Aryntha's was working fine after all. And he let it sit for a while, then it wouldn't lase. In my experiments with trying to get mine to lase again, pump wasn't the problem. and the cavity alignment didn't seem to be the issue either. That pretty much just left the LBO.

Last edited:

DJZ

Paypal sent, thanks! I'll PM my shipping address to rhd.

I'm starting to think there may be a issue with moisture absorption in the LBO in these.

You're probably right, it may be a lost cause, but I'll give it a shot anyway. If all else fails, I'll stick a 445nm diode in there so I haven't completely wasted $65.

Last edited:

Paypal sent, thanks! I'll PM my shipping address to rhd.

You're probably right, it may be a lost cause, but I'll give it a shot anyway. If all else fails, I'll stick a 445nm diode in there so I haven't completely wasted $65.

Got it, Hopefully you can get something out of it.

:thanks:

rhd

I'm good to ship now?

Everyone giving me the go-ahead?

Have you tried drying it in a oven to drive out excess moisture or put it in a sealed container with some silica jell to pull the moisture out if there is any.

I wish people luck with this. With the rash of GPL 589 deaths of late.. mine included. I'm starting to think there may be a issue with moisture absorption in the LBO in these. Aryntha's was working fine after all. And he let it sit for a while, then it wouldn't lase. In my experiments with trying to get mine to lase again, pump wasn't the problem. and the cavity alignment didn't seem to be the issue either. That pretty much just left the LBO.

I don't think LBO can be 'dried out' once it absorbs enough moisture to not functuin properly. These are actually fairly well sealed.. At least just from looks, but who knows. They die for some reason, and it doesn't appear to be due to pump failure. The pump on mine was working just fine when I pulled it apart. Even after I accidentally ripped the lead off the cmount getting it apart.

And DJZ. Let me know if you need any tips on disassembling it. I don't think it's possible to get them a part and the housing still be in good cosmetic condition, but I can at least tell you what to watch out for so you don't destroy the driver/diode. I'm honestly not sure how CNI gets these things apart to 'fix' them unless they just destroy the housing and use a new one, and just reuse the module and driver.

Last edited: