Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SolarForce L2P 445 Maxed - The Blue Blaster...

jayrob

I took a day off from building kits today...

It gave me a chance to build my SolarForce L2P 445 laser. :)

L2P%2015.jpg

This bad boy has a massive heatsink that starts with a 2" long piece of 6061 aluminum 1 1/8" in diameter!

L2P%2010.jpg

L2P%2011.jpg

I set a V5 FlexDrive at max current, and used a 1/2" round aluminum heatsink for the driver. (Arctic Silver thermal adhesive to the 5 pin chip - and also the 6 pin chip for more support)

L2P%2012.jpg

L2P%208.jpg

L2P%2013.jpg

L2P%2014.jpg

Of course you don't have to max it out like I did, but a Micro Boost at 1075mA's would be nice in there without a special driver heatsink...

Power Measurements:

* A-140 diode from Dave - See here!
* Set at 1470mA's...
* Battery current draw - 2200mA's

Recommended battery:
AW 18650 Protected 2600 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery - New Version

This puts out 1450mW's with a 405-G-1.

But I have an AixiZ 445 lens in there which starts out at 1250mW's...

During the 1 minute test for stability, it slowly drops in power. (as expected - these diodes are very temperature sensitive)

It settles at 1150mW's (AixiZ 445 lens) after about 40 seconds and stays there for the rest of the 1 minute test.

The driver is stable with this set up at least for 1 minute run times. (would probably go longer yes... but I did not test for longer)

I have always been used to 1 minute duty cycles just like your supposed to do with green pointers...

This is one mean fire starting bad to the bone blue blaster! :cool:

SolarForce L2P Kit available!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-solarforce-l2p-kit-18650-host-massive-heatsink-53746.html

Last edited:

Kevlar

Wow. :drool: That is sweet Jay!! I have two 445nm diodes just waiting for homes. Hmmmmm.

shark

Nice Laser Jayrob!

I like the position of the focus knob!

Kinda recessed a bit. :)

jayrob

Thanks for the props guys...

shark, yes that EzFocus position (which was your idea that you requested for the first kit) is a very nice look! :cool:

I don't do much focusing anyway. I like to leave it in the best visible dot at 40' focal point.

But with the face being nearly 1" in diameter, it can still be focused even with the laser on if your very careful and use the index fingers. (both hands)

P.S. If you want a custom 'Hot' option for this kit, with a heatsinked (V5 FlexDrive) as shown here, I will set it up that way for an extra $15 bucks. But since it is not something that is really recommended in the documentation for a 4+ volt diode, it will be at your own risk.

That said, the driver seems to work good with this set up! Hope these V5 FlexDrives stay around!

Last edited:

shark

I don't do much focusing anyway. I like to leave it in the best visible dot at 40' focal point.

In fact, I might use some thread lock on mine... I do not want it to move... I've focused it to about 75 yds.. lock it down and leave it be. The stainless bezel looks nice with the bare aluminium focus ring. I anodized my focus ring black to match the rest of the build... both look nice and clean...

My final build is ~500mw.

Aesthetics were important, which is why I had requested it to be recessed... makes it look clean... indistinguishable from a regular flashlight as well, unless your looking at the lens...

I am impressed with the 1450mw! Holy crap. Might want another now with that setup and a 405-G-1...

jayrob

You anodized the EzFocus adapter? That's cool...

Please show a picture of your final assembly! :cool:

About the focusing. I would recommend some thick Teflon tape. If you get it just right (about 1 1/2 wraps depending on how thick your Teflon is), then it can be nice and 'snug'...

This is the stuff I use:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=991000156

Last edited:
I don't quite understand how you can actually focus it with the adapter set back like that? It's easy enough you can literally just push and turn with the top of your index finger?

That is one Good looking build. :gj: Jay I also like the stainless steel bezal too.;) Gives it a nice touch.

jayrob

I don't quite understand how you can actually focus it with the adapter set back like that? It's easy enough you can literally just push and turn with the top of your index finger?

It's not a design for a lot of focusing...

But still focusable. The diameter is nearly 1", so there is room for using two index fingers to turn it. (both hands)

That is one Good looking build. :gj: Jay I also like the stainless steel bezal too. :cool: Gives it a nice touch.

Thanks! I love it!

It's a monster... Top quality host too! :)

Last edited:

shark

Also note, I believe Jayrob is offering this with a focus knob that protrudes from the face as an option for those that desire to have a readily accessible focus.

I can't say I am familiar with all the DX hosts and the such, but I can say this L2P host is absolutely top notch - way beyond the normal junk that proliferates the market. You won't find a better quality host. If you look around you can find the L2P in a few different finishes.

jayrob

Yes that's correct...

I can have the heatsink finish at that same level as the pictures of the EzFocus position if desired...

Then you could use one of my Custom Focus Knobs on your lens if you wanted to use a dust cap. (that's one option)

Also yes, this host is top quality! :cool:

Jay -- Nice build and you appear to have stopped in a somewhat safe current range. You got a good diode -- kiss it daily !!!!

HMike

DTR

Nice build Jay. May have to get one of those hosts two. I think it is neat to see a heatsink like the one you designed for me being put in one of your personal units and offered to the community.

I now have three hot kits from Jay with heatsinked drivers that are set to 1460mA. They are all live and well. They are used quite frequently and thus far I have not seen any problems with running at this level. For a setting that is not recommended it seems to work very well(of course only time will tell). Please keep in mind if your thinking about doing this that my projects were done at my request for experimental reasons and was not recommended by him for liability purposes since it was outside of the documented capabilities of this driver.

The two newer ones I have can do over 60 seconds runs stable. The first one Jay did for me has a thin aluminum heatsink and will run for 45 seconds stable before the driver gets hot enough to kick in the overheat protection(which makes the driver cycle on and off fast like a pulsing mode). Jay thought that a larger heat-sink would take care of it and it does for the later versions. I have not seen the drivers go into overheat protection on the new ones but the longest I have been willing to leave them on has been 90 seconds as of yet. Here is a video of one burning wood for 60 seconds with my 3405.LINK

When my LPM from Lasersbee gets here I will put up some power readings.

Jay great work as always.:beer:

Last edited:

jayrob

Yeah there is quite a difference in mass between the first driver heatsink I did for you, and the 1/2" round ones that I am using now...

That first one would probably be fine if turned down to about an Amp instead of over 1400mA's...

But you would need to disconnect the diode and use a test load to adjust it...