Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So you thought Chinese lasers were safe?

Hey guys,

Just tonight I decided to conduct a test to prove all eBay pens do not have an IR Filter for all of you who are still suspicious, and yes I used a glass of RED WINE.

PS: I apologize for the horrible quality, my Android wouldn't pick up the IR for some reason, please bare with me.

I compared my cheap 50mW eBay to my 3.8mW(blah blah yes I like to go into details) Anser from LaserGlow. Enjoy :)

eBay Pen

eBay Pen Label
8816-imag0208.jpg

Yea....it's not even close to being 50mW, I would rate it at 1mW as you will see below.

eBay Pen Dot

8815-imag0209.jpg

:thinking: It's 50mW really....

IR Filtered?

8813-snapshot-20131207-5.jpg

Ok...now that we're done with that lying garbage let's move on to the good stuff shall we?

Anser

LaserGlow Anser Label

8814-imag0210.jpg

Looks a lot better, look at that...even has a company name.

LaserGlow Anser Dot

8818-imag0211.jpg

Wow..this is embarrassing, the dot is nearly twice as bright as the "50mW" pen. :D

IR Filtered?

8812-snapshot-20131207-6.jpg

Looks like it to me.

Guys, please do not buy any of that eBay Military Grade/ Pointer crap.
It's always over-spec, not IR filtered and will last you if you are lucky 10 minutes.

Keep yourself and the others safe, buy from a reliable source. This will also make sure you are getting your money's worth :na:

Thanks once again and I hope you can still see what I am focusing on with the pictures even with the completely horrid quality that my HP PC offers to me :cryyy:

Tmack

What are the dark pictures of? Can't see anything.

yea, just looks like dark blur. Also, kinda common knowledge that ebay pens aren't filtered...theres always the debate on "Yea they are powerful, but dangerous because of the IR."

Just because they aren't IR filtered doesn't mean the cost/benefit is bad.

All cheap green lasers I've metered leak <10mW of IR. Considering they are usually in the 20mW-150mW range the IR leak does not make them much more dangerous.

To me it certainly does not justify paying 10 times more for a brand name laser unless you absolutely need a <5mW laser to shine around muggles (that's a nice term for non-laserists). In this case it might be a better idea to get a direct diode laser, which will be far more stable and not leak any IR at all.

In the Chinese ebayers defense the only reason they are almost always overspec is because feebay removes listings for >5mW handheld lasers.

ixfd64

Or you could buy an IR filter and add it to the laser yourself. :)

Roam

You're right they're not properly IR filtered. With these chinese greens I've noticed sometimes a faint red-ish light emanating at its output. I personally avoid chinese crap as much as I can but even the Laserglow products you buy are china by CNI.

You're right they're not properly IR filtered. With these chinese greens I've noticed sometimes a faint red-ish light emanating at its output. I personally avoid chinese crap as much as I can but even the Laserglow products you buy are china by CNI.

Only Laserglow's diode are from CNI. Some of their hosts are from CNI as well, but when compared to "common" eBay pens CNI is by far of much greater quality.

I've bought a ton of cheap ebay 5 mW 532's and they've all been pretty weak. Just ordered a new one today though since my last one broke, maybe this time I'll get an over spec pen...

I do have a 405 ebay pen thats definitely more than 5 mW because I can see the beam in the dark, but its not powerful enough to burn anything.

Depends on where you get them from but they arnt all the same by far .As far as lasting ten minutes I've had mine for ages used nearly every day ,are 10 to 20 times overspec and never killed one yet .luck of the draw, for the money eBay pens the 90% that are way overspec are great value and as stated in my case with dozens I haven't killed one yet with lithium ion batteries instead of standard AAA batteries and you get about 10 to 15% more output .

I've bought a ton of cheap ebay 5 mW 532's and they've all been pretty weak. Just ordered a new one today though since my last one broke, maybe this time I'll get an over spec pen...

I do have a 405 ebay pen thats definitely more than 5 mW because I can see the beam in the dark, but its not powerful enough to burn anything.

I totally agree. Ebay lasers are good value. At 5$ each with free shipping, the worst you can get is one thats 5 mW and at best it can be in the hundreds of mW.

And they last well too. I've gone through 2 532's in the past 4 years and the only reason they broke was because I tried to take them apart :p

and will last you if you are lucky 10 minutes.
my "5mw" green laser is a trooper. It works warm or cold. It been dropped several feet on to concrete and its just fine.