Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So I fried my 4850...

After installing the used Accelero S1 Rev. 2 I bought for a ridiculously high price (since I couldn't even purchase it new... no shop in Buenos Aires had it) I put my card in and start the PC...

[Goes into BIOS--> Looks at temps: "Hmm, ok, no problems here" --> Boots up.....no....doesn't boot...suddenly BLUE LINES, BLUE VERTICAL LINES EVERYWHERE].

Chuckdamnit my precious 4850 I bought from newegg with the help of rkcstr is now dead. Ugly polygons and dots were abundant when I got the PC to actually boot and reach Windows.

What happened? I don't know. All I know is I threw $800 to the trash (conversion rates suck).

As far as I know, the problem was the VRAM... maybe I pressed too hard on the VRAMs when installing the ramsinks?

Some guy on an Argentinean forum said it could've been static... I remember getting a small shock when touching the stock heatsink (should've used an anti-static wristband... but I don't have one... I'll improvise one with some copper wire next time :p).

Anyway, I followed some advice I read on US forums to BAKE the card (yes, bake, like GLaDOS tried to do with many of us)... aaaaaaand what do you know? The card doesn't even let the PC boot up anymore.

Seems like Murphy's law at its best :cryyy:

What now? I'll probably get a used 9800GT Ultimate to put the Accelero on...

Sorry for the loss :(

Yes, most likely it was the static. These things are more sensitive than LDs.

Either that, or the GPU was damaged during installation. The die of the GPU is very sensitive, and improper installation can easily crush a corner on the die.

The baking trick only works on nVidia cards with cold solder links which fall apart. Even then it's a very crude fix for a chronic problem.

An ESD wristband isn't always necessary, and you can work without one. Be sure to ground yourself on a grounded metal object before touching static senstive components. Leave your computer switched off at the power supply, but still plugged in. Brush the back of your hand against exposed metal to ground yourself and discharge any static.

Hope this helps for next time

Sorry for the loss :(

Yes, most likely it was the static. These things are more sensitive than LDs.

Either that, or the GPU was damaged during installation. The die of the GPU is very sensitive, and improper installation can easily crush a corner on the die.

The baking trick only works on nVidia cards with cold solder links which fall apart. Even then it's a very crude fix for a chronic problem.

An ESD wristband isn't always necessary, and you can work without one. Be sure to ground yourself on a grounded metal object before touching static senstive components. Leave your computer switched off at the power supply, but still plugged in. Brush the back of your hand against exposed metal to ground yourself and discharge any static.

Hope this helps for next time

Oh well, it was that or throwing it into the garbage can... I'll probably sell it for $50 (pesos) or something.

I always touch the metal frame on my door or window to discharge static elec. Maybe this time I somehow built enough static to kill the card by taking two steps to the PC. :p

ATI makes great cards, but of all the things I've worked with, I've only fried one thing with static: an ATI Radeon 9800XT.

You could try baking it again before tossing it in the trash, but then letting it cool by turning off the oven and carefully opening the door. The idea is that if you pressed on the chips hard enough to make any of the solder ball connections come loose, baking will reflow them. You don't want to bump or jar the card while the solder is still liquid, though. Reflowing may recenter any parts that weren't centered or may have been knocked crooked during the first reflow attempt.

Probably won't work, but it's worth another try, since it's free.

Edit: ooo, evil post #666

Gata

Why were you having to handle the VRAM? Is it changeable on the card or something?

Why were you having to handle the VRAM? Is it changeable on the card or something?

I was changing the original heatsink with an Accelero S1 Rev. 2

ATI makes great cards, but of all the things I've worked with, I've only fried one thing with static: an ATI Radeon 9800XT.

You could try baking it again before tossing it in the trash, but then letting it cool by turning off the oven and carefully opening the door. The idea is that if you pressed on the chips hard enough to make any of the solder ball connections come loose, baking will reflow them. You don't want to bump or jar the card while the solder is still liquid, though. Reflowing may recenter any parts that weren't centered or may have been knocked crooked during the first reflow attempt.

Probably won't work, but it's worth another try, since it's free.

Edit: ooo, evil post #666

The capacitors are all fat now, the head is almost going to explode... I don't think baking it again will do anything :(

Talk about some bad luck :(

Thanks for reminding me though, it's finally starting to get cold outside now and the exhaust fan in the dorm tends to make for very dry air - it's already down to about 30% and the static electricity is really starting to pick up.

Talk about some bad luck :(

Thanks for reminding me though, it's finally starting to get cold outside now and the exhaust fan in the dorm tends to make for very dry air - it's already down to about 30% and the static electricity is really starting to pick up.

I ended up getting a 9800GT Ultimate from ASUS... Always been an ASUS fan, nothing from them ever failed on me. I underclocked it with Rivatuner and even before underclocking the fan on automatic is silent enough so that I can't hear it at 50cm (and I have hyperacusis). Only fan left to replace is the one on my PSU which is making a clicking noise (sleeve bearing... tried oiling it with no luck... spins at real slow RPMs because it's temp. controlled by the PSU)

^^^Time to put on some wool socks and play "sparkie" YAAY! I love winter!!!

*sorry for your loss bro.*