Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So, here's my new 405nm, 500mA project.

*EDIT* 2/21/13*
I cancelled my order with DinoDirect for the WF-502B. I found a much prettier and bigger host at DX. It's 3 times the price, but I believe I will be 3 times as pleased all in all. The host link is update.

This project is being conducted by me, with the help of my genius daughter. Don't panic; As soon as I know you the eye protection you folks like for such a build, I'll fire up the pay-pal and make it so. She fully understands this is no toy, though we plan on oh-so-much fun.

Host: I ordered my host today. I paid for shipping, so...2 weeks?

Diode: I know I'm going with one of DTR's S06J diodes. What I haven't decided yet is whether we are going to do the module build, the host hookup, and such.

Lens: We are also going to purchase a good, proper G-? lens from one of our fine members here. Your opinions matter.

Battery: 18650. We'd love your input in regards to which brands you trust, etc. Anyone have a good, used charger?

Driver: I understand that we can expect a voltage drop out with this diode high enough to require a boost driver. This is some of the homework I still have left to do.

Heat Sink: We've settled on copper. From what I gather from the forums, this is a reasonably popular build, but I have not determined who can make us a copper heat sink for this host. Anyone know the dimensions of a suitable sink for this host off the tops of their heads?

So, that's it for now. I'm off to scour DTR's and JayRob's tutorials, pick up some pointers on boost drivers, and try to decide how hands on this is going to be.

Thanks for your audience. Wish us luck!

Brian and Bella

Last edited:

Seems like you should do a PHR build first. Good luck. Does Bella read the forums?

I'm curious as to your PHR advice. What are you basing your advice on?

Bella reads some of the posts when she's with me.

ARG

Host Fine
Diode Fine
Lens Fine
Battery Panasonic/Sanyo cells are good.
Driver Check out the benboost at mohgasm or lazeerer's xdrive. 400-500mA is the typical range for your diode.
Heatsink Aluminium is cheaper, copper wont make a significant difference.

Last edited:
Host Fine
Diode Fine
Lens Fine
Battery Panasonic/Sanyo cells are good.
Driver Check out the benboost at mohgasm or lazeerer's xdrive. 400-500mA is the typical range for your diode.
Heatsink Aluminium is cheaper, copper wont make a significant difference.

Thanks ARGLaser. The choice for copper is a personal aesthetic preference. I'm hoping to maybe even have one machined w/ some extra mass protruding beyond the light ring. I assume I'll have to have a lens focusing ring protruding beyond the H-sink fascia.

I appreciate the driver info. 500mA is right where I want to drive this diode. I'm hoping for somewhere >700mW out of the lens. I may even knock it down to 490mA just to add some diode life out of it. I just cannot settle for a one minute duty cycle...

Can't settle for a 1 minute duty cycle you will want to contact mrcrouse for a host and heatsink. I think he has some c11 left that would work perfectly.

Can't settle for a 1 minute duty cycle you will want to contact mrcrouse for a host and heatsink. I think he has some c11 left that would work perfectly.

Funny you should say that. I decided this build will take so long that I just have to have one of his MXDL kits NOW! Off to find a blue or red diode/module for this new build...this is how obsession starts.

I'm under control so far!

Payment has been sent to Mrcrouse for one of his MXDL 3045 kits. Found a cheap, new 1.25A benboost driver already. I guess I'll be ordering my 445nm diode/module this week as well.

Yeah...got it under control...sure...

AHH yes the MXDL kit. you will really like that and it's definitly a far price and if its anything like the other kit or custom heatsinks i've got from him they will be top notch quality!

So, here's a thought...

I'm not building this laser for sheer wattage pushed to the max. I'm building this as a project with my daughter and want a nice stable build. Rather than going with the G-series lens, why not go with the 3-element lens? Is it worth it, in THIS build, to spend the extra $40 for the slight wattage gain ON TOP OF the increase in divergence? Will the 3-element lens not provide me with a just fine, strong, and pretty beam and dot?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.