Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

small compact laser show / new diode

i bought 4 of these guys here like the one on the picture, they are <5 mW. and i was thinking of buying a new diode to the casing and use the mirrors and all that things.. what kind of diode will fit in this casing which is 15 mm (0.59 inch) long or can i get new casing with diode in it? i was thinking of red ones just like they are in the laser itself but some more power.. and will it work because the new diode will be running more power so that the supply will handle it?
it uses
4 aaa batteries

ps. the yellow lines on the measure thing.. is inches

Attachments

• laser_001.JPG
    laser_001.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 263

DJ --

That's a tough call but it looks like a SUPER project!!! It probably has a 5.6 mm diode in it and you may have to turn up the driver AND use a larger power source.

What is this and where did you get it.

Mike

S

SenKat

Yes, please post where you got it from ! You could easily modify it to accept a more powerful diode, I am certain....and some clown on here happens to be selling some high powered red diodes...erm...wait a sec...NOT a clown...ME ! LOL !! You could even disassemble a greenie to mount in there - what voltage/current is getting to the diode module at present ?

G !

Things

the diodes in those things do have a pot on them, but i don't hink the power can be turned up. i have a similar one to this, and have tried putting a DX30 in there, but it can't supply enough power, so it would have to be a higher powered red diode, or have an external power source for a green laser

S

SenKat

This one says it can be powered by an external 9v adapter....

Things

does it run on batteries aswell? the one i have runs off 4aaa's, or a 6v wall adapter. i don't think that's the problem though, it's the amount of power the driver circuit for the diode outputs, if there is one?

the diode is running 2.9 volts..

can i use that small casing for some larger diode? i have tried taking it apart but it is so well glued so it wont go apart, so can i get a stronger diode in a casing like this running 3 volts?

S

SenKat

Well, depending on WHAT you want - Aixiz sells some low powered reds - in the 20-35mw range I believe that are not too expensive, or you can measure the current (to assure safety) and put in one of the 250+mw red Sony diodes from the group buy ! :)

G !

SenKat said:
Well, depending on WHAT you want - Aixiz sells some low powered reds - in the 20-35mw range I believe that are not too expensive, or you can measure the current (to assure safety) and put in one of the 250+mw red Sony diodes from the group buy ! :)

G !
if I'll buy from the group buy will this casing be enough ? 650nm 5mw 8mm X 14mm case $4.00
I wouldn't probably take the chance of using the power supplied in the unit and would use another battery casing for the diode..

S

SenKat

I would suggest the Aixiz all brass "silver looking" module...I have had REALLY good results with those....I think they are 8.5mmX30mm or something like that...

G !

SenKat said:
I would suggest the Aixiz all brass "silver looking" module...I have had REALLY good results with those....I think they are 8.5mmX30mm or something like that...

G !
the problem is that then the casing wont fit in the unit ... :-/

S

SenKat

MAKE it fit ! :) I dunno - Check with HemlockMike - he has used the brass colored ones before - and they work well for him, not sure of the size though.

G !

Dj-IceLava said:
[quote author=SenKat link=1188428533/0#11 date=1188490199]I would suggest the Aixiz all brass "silver looking" module...I have had REALLY good results with those....I think they are 8.5mmX30mm or something like that...

G !
the problem is that then the casing wont fit in the unit ... :-/[/quote]

Well you can do one of two things. remove and extend the circuit board so it sits outside of the housing, extending the wires to the motors, thereby giving you room to mount a larger laser in the mirror cavity.

Or secondly, do what I did, remove the circuit board altogether, and add a pot in series to each motor so you can manually set the speed to each motor, thereby altering the patterns. The circuit board really just contains a driver for the built in laser and a chip to display and cycle the preset patterns.

this is what I did with my similar scanner.

Jase.

Attachments

• P1010068_001.JPG
    P1010068_001.JPG
    805.6 KB · Views: 353
maybe i can hot glue the casing on the top of the unit and use mirrors to direct the beam inside the unit and to the mirrors on the motors..