Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sky-Lasers 200mw 532nm RPL-Style Laser Review

This is it. This is my FIRST REAL LASER. Sure, I've had cheapies before, but this is the real deal for me. It's a pretty beautiful laser, and I have to say I'm quite impressed with it's power.

I got this used from Blord, who was nice enough to include the LPM Chart from DrLava.

So here's the review:

This came in a box. This box had more than sufficient packaging to make sure that it arrived safely, and the box has a magnetic lid. Not really important but some people like the details :)

21mb4n6.jpg

This is the basic laser, end cap and dead man's switch (I think that's what it's called anyway)

Yes, this thing is GOLD. I guess it was part of a GB that Blord was in from Sky-Lasers. I remember reading the thread a while ago. Anyway, so Blord got this one and it performs very nicely, and it looks pretty freakin' sweet. I like black and Silver too, but this (to me) looks pretty pimp.

Box and Laser shots. Remember, please be at least 18:

2uptpfo.jpg

Other bits and pieces...

The End cap:

fv90mh.jpg

Inside the laser (Sorry about the blur, my roommates crappy PowerShot)

jt08df.jpg

Annnnd, the output/business end/tip.

wu5579.jpg

This laser DOES have an adjustable focus, a locking ring, and the shutter to protect unintended output.

My 2c about the shutter: There have been several times already where I'd adjust the focus for a little burning action, and I'd accidentally shut the shutter. Not a huge problem, just something I noticed is that the direction you turn the locking ring to tighten against the focus ring are the same direction so you often close the shutter and wonder why there's no output.

About the rings themselves: They're all ROCK solid, very smooth to turn and have enough friction to not worry about accidentally turning when you don't want it to. The same is true for the end cap as well. It turns/slides nicely and is snug enough that I don't fear it falling off/out.

Okay, so a couple of operation shots:

scsuo0.jpg

1737kj.jpg

And of course, no review would be complete without some beamshots!

71r320.jpg

y0vfk.jpg

Annnnnd in the dark. There is no smoke/fog, and it's Winter here in Canada Eh? So there's like no extra humidity in the air for the beam to show up extra don't 'cha know? Eh? /Canadian

When I took the pictures, because I don't have a defined routine for doing laser reviews yet, I forgot to take a dot quality shot. I DO have this though:

2mgmkgy.jpg

I know, the surface isn't a flat surface, it's semi-reflective, etc... But I CAN say that the dot itself is fantastic. There's almost 0 beam splash anywhere around the beam, it's really TEM00, and has a very solid color all the way through. It's 'Delicious' lol

Because I don't have a LPM yet... I have to go on the LPM sheet that was provided from DrLava when Blord first bought it.

23tw5k.jpg

2z8oh8j.jpg

So it looks like it starts out at basically 200mw and climbs up to a peak of around 280mw. DEFINITELY not bad for my first real big laser.

The behavior is solid as well. When I first turn it on, there's no hesitation. It just... BOOM - green light. There's no dimming, no funky mode hopping... It's not hard to tell that this is a VERY stable and very well built laser. It's such a refreshing change from the junk lasers I buy from DX/FocalPrice/PriceAngels.

I can honestly say I UNDERSTAND why people pay 700-800-900$ for 400mw Greenies that are just rock solid. You get what you pay for and this is an example of an understatement.

I will say that I was honestly surprised about how wide the beam was leaving the aperture. It's much larger than I'm used to with the little lasers. I'm pretty sure it's close to 3mm but it's hard to say without knowing exactly how to measure it properly. That'll come with time and the more lasers I get and review.

Now a couple of things that I'm concerned/confused about. I THINK I saw some IR.

I don't know if this has an IR filter or not. Based on a concern I had the other day, I don't know that it actually does but I would hope that something of this quality would. I can't answer that question though.

What I CAN show though is that when I was taking a video, I snuck some screenshots of what I think is IR.

23rlno8.jpg

hswc54.jpg

15wckjk.jpg

That color of purple is very recognizable in that I see it as IR when I'm trying to troubleshoot why a laser might not be working... Maybe I'm mistaken but I noticed it and when I post my beamshot video, you might be able to catch a glimpse of it too. I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on it though.

IR Filter or no IR filter?

I HAVE an IR filter I can use, but then I don't have an LPM to test with to verify that it's actually IR. I'll have to do some more research.

And finally, last but not least:

Beamshot vid :)

The person in the background is my roommate. Yes, he was downstairs because I told him to STAY downstairs while I use my laser. He was a good boy lol

Again, no fog or smoke in this one, just my dusty floor. Shows me that I need to vacuum apparently!

Anyway - please feel free to ask questions - I'll do my best to answer, and I'd be happy to do more testing, taking pictures, or basically whatever else you folks ask. :)

Oh, and as a sidenote, the batteries I used on this one were from an old laptop that I found that had 6 18650's in it. They were running 3.9v at the time of the pictures, so I know there's more power that I can get out of it... But for now it's more than bright enough for me.

Last edited:

Things

No images here either.

Also, to insert youtube video's, all you have to do is get the number on the end, and put it between the [.yt]codehere[/yt] tags :)

Thanks for the advice - I was in the process of figuring it all out and saved it and when I came back, you had already posted :)

Thanks for your help though - if I hadn't gotten it, you definitely would have given me the info I needed!

Trevor

Oh my, was it made in the 80's? :eek:

(Great laser otherwise. :p)

-Trevor

Made in the 80's? You mean the color? LOL

It's a little 80's yeah, but I'm a product of the 80's too so I can't speak TOO poorly of that time period ;-)

Trevor

Made in the 80's? You mean the color? LOL

It's a little 80's yeah, but I'm a product of the 80's too so I can't speak TOO poorly of that time period ;-)

1990. I dodged the 80's bullet. Though it was easy to see it coming, it was all silver and glittery. :D

...sorry, I rip on the 80's too much.

</threadjack> :eek:

-Trevor

This is a brother to the one I got with DrLava a few years ago. Though a bit big, it appears to almost match the PO of my "goldie". Keep the threads and contacts clean. Enjoy !!!

HMike

I've had mine so long I forget if I tested for IR. Why is your "purple" beam always vertical? Do you have the laser always clamped that way ? Does it rotate with the laser?

Last edited:
Thats a cool looking laser you got there.:) Not that many gold laser out there but i like it.

Nice Review.:)

This is a brother to the one I got with DrLava a few years ago. Though a bit big, it appears to almost match the PO of my "goldie". Keep the threads and contacts clean. Enjoy !!!

HMike

I've had mine so long I forget if I tested for IR. Why is your "purple" beam always vertical? Do you have the laser always clamped that way ? Does it rotate with the laser?

That is a very interesting observation HMike... The laser was sitting on a desk and wasn't moving but the camera I was holding was moving. If you watch the YouTube video I added, the 'IR' pics are actually just clips or examples from the video itself. Perhaps it was lens related?

The only other possible indication that it could be missing an IR filter is this thread... Here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/question-about-current-draw-diode-crystals-59753.html#post845395