Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Silver host. Completed (more or less)

Kenom

Ok more pictures anda video..

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175365/Video 4.wmv

It's a link. Kenom, thanks for the wonderful help with the pictures and everything!!!!!! As for the crystals. they are a purple sapphire. they've got a slight color change, they look nice and purple under incandescent light, and in sunlight look much more of a violet-blue. Under UV or a blu-ray beam they glow as red as any ruby does. I figured they just fit quite well on a blu-ray host :D

Ash

WOW. I have to say that is the "prettiest" laser I have ever seen (don't get me wrong, I think it's gorgeous). Very well done. :worthy:

KiLLrB

Ya very nice laser. Maybe this is how I can get my wife into lasers... precious metals and gems lol...

Kenom

now I'd like to say that this is a georgeous work of art in that it's made of silver and all decorative and such. The ONLY thing I personally would do to this baby is polish and smooth out the places that are NOT leaves or stems. Now mind you this doesn't detract completely from this stunning piece but it would only further accent the artwork that this is, if it was nice and shiny all over teh place.

Anywho, it was nice to play with for a short while, I've never personally seen a bluray greater than 230mw. Seeing this one at over 500mw was indeed a treat. I now know why everyone values so much the jayrob focus adapter as stickin fingers or whatever in that beam does get burned very quickly. I've already packaged this sucker back up and she's going into the mail tomorrow insured (I'm not going to be responsible for it's death..) Thank you very much for the opportunity to sample this incredible laser.

As to your earlier question about ramping up. Or as you called it a warm up period. It does start at 450mw and slowly climb up to it's peak, then kind of drop down a little bit... I think tomorrow before I ship this off, I will throw it on the grapher and do a quick graph of the output for you to see..

My other question is concerning the lens. Does this have a 405G lens?

Yep, It's got the LarryDFW lens assembly in it. As for the textured places between the leaves and stems. All aesthetics aside, (some might like it, some might think it's a little too much) There is a double functionality thing going on there. First it expands the surface area, allowing for faster transfer of heat to the air around. It's part of what keeps it running so cool. Also, bright and shiny silver also shows fingerprints much much faster, (just like touching a mirror) So while it would look bright and shiny, it would also get dirty faster. Granted a matte finish would also minimize fingerprints showing, however I wanted to avoid any sort of duty cycle.

As for the aesthetics. :D I like rock. And the texture to me is rather stonelike. But it was done mostly for functionality.

Asherz

That host is so amazing, great bit of skillful work gone into it and it definitely pays off :)

I hope too see some more laser host designs coming from you! :) Maybe as Kenom suggested a smooth version? :)

Kenom

I now understand the rationale behind the surface... You'll have to forgive us laserists. We like to see smooth and shiny pens so it's nothing personal.

no worries :D It's actually useful info. I've been contemplating actually making a few silver hosts for sale, so it's something I will have to keep in mind if and when I design them. I'm curious if you noticed the laser host itself get warm at all when it was on?

It is extremely difficult to photograph polished jewelry properly without a reflection-free lighting setup. With a texture like that, polishing smooth isn't even an option. Taking a closer look, I can see it is more veined than dimpled, as earlier pictures portrayed it. I was also trying to think of a good way to increase surface area, like a rolled texture or something.

That being said, how did you polish it? Please don't say you tumbled with red rouge walnut shell. :tsk:

daguin

no worries :D It's actually useful info. I've been contemplating actually making a few silver hosts for sale, so it's something I will have to keep in mind if and when I design them. I'm curious if you noticed the laser host itself get warm at all when it was on?

< Gets in line >

Peace,
dave

Did you chase all of that by hand or was it pre-textured or pressed or what?

Hand done. Most of it in the silver, some of it in the wax prior to casting. I carved it with 2.1mm hart burrs, and .4mm round burrs for the recessed texture. I've found what I like for a rock texture. take the hart burrs, cur a lot of notches all in generally the same direction. then rotate 60 degrees. carve some more notches, then rotate 60 degrees again and carve the last set. Then go after with a small round burr, any area looking too smooth, or with too much of a pattern to the hart burr cuts. The angled lines gives it the impression of a crystalline pattern to the grains which reminds me a bit of granite. You can also do it fairly fast as you don't need them perfectly in line. Too in line looks less rocky too me. A foredom high speed handpiece to your flexshaft comes nicely in handy for this kind of thing. It's easier to control with less chance of the burr skipping out where you don't want it to.

Do I smell a silverhost competition?

Bring it on! :D :D :D Should be interesting seeing what we can come up with. Besides, any hosts we can make for the general community here will only serve to improve it. :D