Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should we add a flashlight section?

Should we add a "Flashlights & Other Lighting" section?

• Yes

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Well I'm normally more patient than this, and would allow randomlugia more time to start a poll, but I'm ready to make one now. I'm stuck with only part time work this summer. Dang economy.

EDIT: Randomlugia, you're faster than I am!

Last edited:
I agree with Lasersbee. A "Tools" sections could be beneficial as well. It could hold the discussion of presses, machining, meters, mounts, etc.

Back to topic: Perhaps a few more options need to be considered when making the poll. Adding a flashlight section? Adding a Tools section? Adding both? Neither?

This guy has it right :)

I vote yes for the "Tools" section as well.

Dave, can we make subforums? I don't mean it like we have them on the front page, but something like:

Lasers by Colour
405nm, 445nm, 532nm, ..., 1064nm

^ Clickable links

...and such for all other sections. This would reduce frontpage size and will work as a much better organized way to keep track of threads.

I'm for a flashlight section, but just keep it at that.

If you add sections within the flashlight forum and get really detailed with it's organization they we may start to drift away from being just a Laser forum. It seems appropriate since many of us are already familiar with LED flashlights since we use them as hosts. It would be nice to see reviews and have discussions about LEDs and batteries and such. Besides CPF has a laser forum... lol.

-Tony

Arayan

This guy has it right :)

I vote yes for the "Tools" section as well.

Dave, can we make subforums? I don't mean it like we have them on the front page, but something like:

Lasers by Colour
405nm, 445nm, 532nm, ..., 1064nm

^ Clickable links

...and such for all other sections. This would reduce frontpage size and will work as a much better organized way to keep track of threads.

This section seems to be a very good idea... my positive vote is for the "tools" :)

He never added a tool section as requested. Also he didn't make the poll so we can see who voted.

HIMNL9

Well, if for c0ld is not a problem, then i don't see why not .....

True, this is a forum mainly dedicated to laser pointers, and then lasers in general, but, first, speaking about DIY and buildings, can be helpful have also "correlated" sections, and also, i have seen more other forums have added some sort of laser sections, so why not add laser related sections also here ? (i mean, flashlights and other light sources, related for "light" and for the use that we do as hosts, tools and machinery related for the ones we use for make hosts and heatsinks, and so on)

Ofcourse, the main arguments must remain about lasers ;)

Things

Isn't that what the geeks corner forum is for?

It could be a good idea, however LPF is already pretty large ...

Niko's idea of combining some of the boards into one section
sounds good to me as well...
We need to make it easy for a new member to find the area
he is looking for from the main page...

Jerry

Niko's idea of combining some of the boards into one section
sounds good to me as well...
We need to make it easy for a new member to find the area
he is looking for from the main page...

Jerry

Thanks for the support.

Combining sections would really help people find stuff. It'd also normalize all section names and even reduce the front page vertical bar :)

Another example:

The BST could be just named "The Marketplace" or something like that, then add sub-sections like the Pro BST, regular BST, non-laser related BST.

Same with all lasers, it'd take out 4-5 sections (that's a lot of space) and cram them into just one.

Thanks for the support.

Combining sections would really help people find stuff. It'd also normalize all section names and even reduce the front page vertical bar :)

Another example:

The BST could be just named "The Marketplace" or something like that, then add sub-sections like the Pro BST, regular BST, non-laser related BST.

Same with all lasers, it'd take out 4-5 sections (that's a lot of space) and cram them into just one.

I also like this idea... Even though I don't think the front page is too big, it would definitely make it simpler and easier. But you would have to color the different wavelenth links, or put green, blue, etc. instead, so the new members know where to go.

As for the flashlights, It's starting to look like a maybe, seeing as 2 to 1 isn't a very big majority. Page views don't happen too much in the administrative section.
tongue.gif

Not too many people view the Help, Suggestions, & Administrative Announcements section. Just add the new flashlight section and give it time. It'll grow. And if not then take it down. Where is the harm in that?

-Tony

If it grows too large it might be necessary to move it to its own domain, I for one would like it, the atmosphere is a lot better here than it is on CPF, and it is a lot easier to find stuff here too.

I say give it a shot, and if it starts to get out of control it can be deleted.