Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I register my lasers with my university as weapons?

joeyss

Yeah I wouldn't register it unless you have like a 589 then just for the insurance it's yours. Any normal color is asking to be blamed when some drunk frat boys shine a green or 445 at a helicoptor and all they get is a crappy video or none at all. You better hope you were somewhere off campus with someone or if they don't catch them then they could scapegoat you.

AaronT

No, lasers are not weapons, no need to register it and it "inspire" some new stupid rule about lasers being weapons.

No, lasers are not weapons, no need to register it and it "inspire" some new stupid rule about lasers being weapons.

this^

just keep them under wraps.. most people still don't know I own a laser (or three).. job done

With the way things are going these days, the last few times I was shooting into the sky with my laser I would immediately stop if I could see a vehicle was approaching on the road, or someone walking by or watching me outside. I prefer to keep it to myself who is beaming into the sky, just in case someone else anywhere near me points a toy laser at an aircraft and somehow the finger gets pointed towards me for it, instead of the individual who really did it.

Now that I wrote that, I should also add if anyone does want to point into the night sky to see the beam, be at least 10 miles from ANY airport of ANY size and point high, never down to the horizon or in the direction of an airport. It is impossible to see aircraft on the horizon if they are a long way out. I have a cousin who had to go to court a few years ago because he was pointing at street lights and turning them off (also bad), a helicopter was on the horizon and somehow the police caught up with him and charged him. I don't have any detail on what happened beyond this, but he was on parole for a long time. I have shared this story here before, but some may not have seen it.

Yes, we should all do our part and avoid the skies with our lasers as right now is a sensitive time and even a ground sighting, not a direct cockpit illumination could add up in the tally against our hobby, I stay out of the sky these days for self protection and for our hobby's sake, so if you are in a rural area, please be very careful when star pointing.

Reactions: GSS

Benm

Yea, doesn't make sense to me. This is similar to registering your car as a weapon just because it can do damage if misused.

Exactly, it would be insane to be required to do this.

It doesn't end... You car makes a great lethal weapon, but so do many of your tools like hammers, drills, screwdrivers, axes, kitchen knives, scissors, chainsaws, icepicks and pencils.

All of the latter list have been used to actually kill people, afaik lasers have not so far.

Man, there is no way a normal forum member, or even a newbie would come in here and seriously ask such a question.

It's a loaded question, you could get into trouble for just having it on campus depending on the schools policies, however it is not a weapon any more than a shovel, but a person could use a shovel as a weapon.

I would avoid trouble and ask about the schools policy for keeping a table top lab laser on campus, if that requires special permission or restrictions then you know you will have to meet the FDA requirement's for a hand held over 5mw just for starters, if yours lacks the safety features ( aperture shutter, key switch, safety dongle, indicator light, delay start, ect ) then you are in a grey area already, I think you should error on the side of caution and remove the laser from school property before asking about it, then there is the question of when and where you can use it.

I'm afraid you won't like any of the answers you get, likely you would be required to operate a laser over 5mw only under controlled conditions, such as a sealed room with safety warnings and safety equipment, your HH over 5mw is likely not allowed.

Proceed with caution and at your own risk, my opinion is not legal advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Razako

It's one of those "don't ask, don't tell" kinda things. Letting them know you have it just invites trouble, because you might get blamed for the idiocy of some other guy with a laser.

Last edited:

Benm

The latter could be a problem too. If you register your laser, but someone else does not register his, they'll probably come knocking on your door if that other person was lighting up a police helicopter or something similar.

Sure, go ahead and register your laser as a weapon. Don't forget to register your car as well, not to mention any mechanical pencils you might be carrying. They're pointy, and you can even make a zip gun out of them if you're really on the ball.

This was sarcasm btw.

Ha, it's our old friend posting provocative threads, but I do agree, register everything as a weapon, even marsh mellows could be a weapon if you shoved too many of the down someones throat :p