Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

should 445 subforum only be accessable for "members only"?

members only?? daguin?

• YES MEMBERS ONLY!

Votes: 87 77.0%
  • NO ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL SPIDERS, BOTS, GUESTS, NEWS JOURNALISTS.... ETC

Votes: 26 23.0%

• Total voters

oikos

another reason to limit access is that i made a mistake by having ppl post their order #s ..... many have cencored out 1-2 digits but many haven't..... perhaps for security purposes?

in addition, i hate if WL is here watching our every move.... (maybe reading this one right now)... and even our tactics against them if they all the sudden decide to screw us over :undecided::undecided::undecided::undecided::

Elektrofreak said:
Generally I agree with you 110%. The only reason I suggest that we hide the class4 blue info at least for now is because of the shit-storm you just mentioned. It could become a legal expense for the forum admin regardless of whether the reasons behind the legal actions are valid or not. It costs money to hire lawyers to defend yourself from unjust charges. Better to keep these sections members-only than to have them shut down like over on PL.

I must also agree with your post. I must admit I did not take into consideration the potential legal problems. Taking into account this issue I have no problems with restriction.

Last edited:
I have to wonder what drove them to these new diodes? Is the 1W power? That's kinda of scary. If they were so into lasers where were they before?

Perhaps my perspective as a new member might be useful. I'm what's laughingly called middle aged, which means I'm getting old but refusing to admit it ;)

I've used lasers before, however the reason I joined was because of the Arctic. Not to ask questions, but because having purchased it and concerned about shipping issues I've delved into this place a bit more deeply.

Being able to interact is more useful than just perusing and therefore I joined. It seems to be a forum of informed users who don't have a chip on their shoulder.

So for myself, I joined coincidentally because of the Arctic, however not because I didn't have a clue. I do.

Why THIS diode?

It's blue and it's bright and it's cheap. It can be operated continuously and it's blue and it's bright and it's cheap. I take kids (don't cringe) out on field trips occasionally at night and use lasers as pointers. I find that I keep their attention better if that pointer is something out of the ordinary. When I point out Cygnus you better believe they'll pay attention.

To be sure that isn't the sole use of it, but it's bright it's blue and cheap. Did I say that already? :)

I recently lost my 60MW green and have been looking for a replacement. This falls into my price category and while not as "pocketable" as a pen it is nonetheless portable. I am aware of what laser light can do and that while it looks like a toy (the light saber thing) I know otherwise.

Does this make me a typical new member? I don't know because I'm not them, but I suspect that there are a lot of reasons people join other than because something is in the news, or at least I hope so.

I heard that you don't want the current to drop below threshold. Apparently, there has been a problem with these things sporadically lasing at uncontrollable powers and TEMs when they are run below threshold..

Just a consideration to those who are going direct drive.

Sounds more like someone has issues with their driver. I have the modulation circuit on my driver set to go below threshold, I've run the diode below threshold for long periods of time. I'm testing my third diode and never seen any sporadic lasing..

daguin

I heard that you don't want the current to drop below threshold. Apparently, there has been a problem with these things sporadically lasing at uncontrollable powers and TEMs when they are run below threshold..

Just a consideration to those who are going direct drive.

Link? That makes no sense.

Plus, how are your statements even relevant to anything being discussed?

Peace,
dave

Generally I agree with you 110%. The only reason I suggest that we hide the class4 blue info at least for now is because of the shit-storm you just mentioned. It could become a legal expense for the forum admin regardless of whether the reasons behind the legal actions are valid or not. It costs money to hire lawyers to defend yourself from unjust charges. Better to keep these sections members-only than to have them shut down like over on PL.

This is a public forum where anyone can join. If LPF was sued for it's content it wont matter if it was freely available or a membership was required. Since anyone can join and it takes like 30 seconds to sign up it'll still be consider publicly available information. I don't think it will make any difference in court. However, I'd really doubt it will come to a lawsuit.

-Tony

Morgan

I haven't decided on how to vote but...

I don't think it's the safety information, responsible use or discussions on how to run, build or improve optics, etc., that should be limited. I think it's the supply, and information where to source these diodes that should be restricted. Responsible selling was brought up right at the start of this affair and I'd like to think the members here have done their best but can they prove it to a court? It's the legal issues that are the most relevant here whether it be regulation for all of us; individual prosecution resulting from an accident or; admin for allowing arguably dangerous items to be sold.

Whichever it is, the sections that should be members only or invisible should be the sales ones. This may not stop the, "I just joined to get hold of 1W 445nm diodes!", people but it may discourage membership if it's not immediately obvious they are sold here.

If it is considered irresponsible for WL to be selling this product then don't allow posts or ads for it specifically, or hide those too, (and any other dubious product in the future. Has LPF ever, "banned", a product from the site before?). I personally don't like to see any ads in peoples sigs for companies they are not affiliated with but particularly not for the WL product.

M
:)

Last edited:
I haven't decided on how to vote but...

I don't think it's the safety information, responsible use or discussions on how to run, build or improve optics, etc., that should be limited. I think it's the supply, and information where to source these diodes that should be restricted. Responsible selling was brought up right at the start of this affair and I'd like to think the members here have done their best but can they prove it to a court? It's the legal issues that are the most relevant here whether it be regulation for all of us; individual prosecution resulting from an accident or; admin for allowing arguably dangerous items to be sold.

Whichever it is, the sections that should be members only or invisible should be the sales ones. This may not stop the, "I just joined to get hold of 1W 445nm diodes!", people but it may discourage membership if it's not immediately obvious they are sold here.

If it is considered irresponsible for WL to be selling this product then don't allow posts or ads for it specifically, or hide those too, (and any other dubious product in the future. Has LPF ever, "banned", a product from the site before?). I personally don't like to see any ads in peoples sigs for companies they are not affiliated with but particularly not for the WL product.

M
:)

I agree! I remember a time when everyone hated Wicked Lasers for selling underspec units. And now people are advertising for them in the siggys. :scowl:

-Tony

If the n00b may make a couple obvious comments and a suggestion.

The concern about a "member" only forum is driven by publicity, almost all of it given in ignorance.

We as a community of individuals with a specific interest tend to want to bring in others who are like minded, namely interesting, intelligent and who have nice judgment and manners. Many of us also support the dissemination of knowledge on principle, and the ability to freely provide it. These are good things.

The potentially bad ones:
There are individuals driven "shoot first and ask questions later"- that is those who's desires lead their sense. We might be reluctant to provide knowledge which can be used to harm themselves or others, sort of like handing a loaded firearm to someone who cannot be trusted with the responsibility.

There is also the practical consideration of the well being of the person or persons who own the site, namely legal concerns. While I cannot imagine the legal grounds Casio would have for causing trouble for this site, I can imagine that under certain circumstances they might try.

While this site is supported in part by members, the owners bear the brunt of any adversity. Sites like this aren't public corners on which to stand and say whatever we will. We are in someone else's "home" and courtesy demands that we not endanger our host.

These concerns are at odds, but not irreconcilably so.

I'm an admin at a very large computer site and I am familiar with vB. It's possible to restructure the 445 forum so that safety information is available to anyone who visits. It is also possible to have other subforums visible but inaccessible to guests. The public is aware that these exist and by registering can participate in them BUT if they decide to do so a separate TOS must be agreed to which says that by viewing the content the individual doing so whether for their own purposes or acting as an agent for another hold the site owners and posters blameless for any content and further all postings are copyrighted and it is NOT permissible to use it for any purpose whatsoever without the express written consent of both the poster and site administrators.

While the above isn't protective against all conceivable circumstances, it at once gives access to safety information to everyone, let's others know that there is more "meat" to the subject and at least makes an attempt to protect against damages to our hosts.

What say you?

Exerd

I would link to it, but it was on PL... ironic yes?

Are you aware of anything you posted?

You said that you don't want the current to drop below threshold. Well, no shit. It won't lase at all if it's below threshold. That's the whole idea of a threshold.

:thinking: