Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shooting down flies with laser?

Here it's autumn and the fly-session is over. But I have wondered if it's possible to shoot down the flies with the laser. I shot one with my green laser, but it just wandered around in the sky, and I thougt that was painful for it, bacause it maybe got blind, and thats not my purpose. But with the blue one I may could kill it directly?

Any experience of this?

well... I have had some experience with wasps, not a fly specifically. I found that it was relatively easy to take the wasp out of the sky, but it did not die very fast as it kept moving out of the beam.

So it's not really a practical solution for shooting down flies and I felt kinda bad that the wasp lived as long as it did when I was trying to kill it. You're better off with a fly swatter IMO. Using the laser just seems to be overly cruel as it just isn't fast enough.

There is a laser mosquito zapper that works. Google it, there are also videos of it working. It's pretty cool.:)

well... I have had some experience with wasps, not a fly specifically. I found that it was relatively easy to take the wasp out of the sky, but it did not die very fast as it kept moving out of the beam.

So it's not really a practical solution for shooting down flies and I felt kinda bad that the wasp lived as long as it did when I was trying to kill it. You're better off with a fly swatter IMO. Using the laser just seems to be overly cruel as it just isn't fast enough.

Thank you!
I don't want to be cruel to them, so I suppose it better to smash them. But I could not let to be, to shine att the flies when I've gone to bed and sometimes playing with my lasers, to shoot in the ceiling at the flies!

There is a laser mosquito zapper that works. Google it, there are also videos of it working. It's pretty cool.:)
Should check it in! Thank you!

Be careful when chasing the fly around because you may be paying to much attention to the fly and not enough to whatever you may be hitting in the background ;p

You're asking a LOT of crazy questions, man.
My advice: read, read, read!

Can it be done?
Yes.

Is it practical or safe?
No.

MojoLA

Yeah i would guess that if the laser is powerful enough to kill a fly in an instant it is also going to leave holes in your walls from all the misses.

The only way that might be avoided is if the laser is only strong enough at the point of focus - let's say you make the focus 15 feet - sure, if the walls are more than 15 feet away, maybe it won't scorch them - but good luck getting a fly to come into range at exactly 15 feet!

Yeah i would guess that if the laser is powerful enough to kill a fly in an instant it is also going to leave holes in your walls from all the misses.

Why not just look it up on google before posting all that other logic and reasoning?

Last edited:

ya, but I think there are a few key differences between that laser and a hand held model...

1. I don't recall the exact power of the laser system in question but as I recall it's more powerful than our current 1w models.
2. The laser tracking system actually tracks the mosquito, so it is easier for that system to keep it in the beam.
3. Mosquitoes are much smaller than a fly (ie they would burn faster). So it would take far less time/power to take out a mosquito.

Anyways, like mentioned before it's possible, just not really a reasonable solution.

MojoLA

Comradmax: What the hell are you talking about?? It's perfectly logical and reasonable to assume that if a laser was strong enough to instantly take out a fly at any reasonable distance, it would also be strong enough to leave marks on your walls.

And I can't even imagine what sort of results i'd get trying to look THAT up on Google!

What are you getting at? That was a very strange comment.

During the summer I would kill bugs that would cling to the outside windows of my car. 1-2 seconds of exposure caused them to stop moving.

Benm

Well, it can be done obviously. You can clip of a wing quite easily with a 200 mW laser. This will not kill the insect, but it will ground it so you can get a flysquatter and get to work.

Personally i prefer the electrified tennis racket to hunt bugs down though - much easier to aim, and much more effecive in killing them right away.

Well, it can be done obviously. You can clip of a wing quite easily with a 200 mW laser. This will not kill the insect, but it will ground it so you can get a flysquatter and get to work.

Personally i prefer the electrified tennis racket to hunt bugs down though - much easier to aim, and much more effecive in killing them right away.

There's a huge difference from reading about physics from a book and actually experiencing it.

Only a machine could be as precise to focus the beam at the right distance and at the right location. The beam is large enough to damage the entire fly. It's body is black and burns nearly instantly yet the wings are more transparent than anything. It's more likely to burn the whole top of the fly than just the wing

Jaxz

Someone already posted on youtube how he zapped a mosquitoe with a common 125mW blue handheld laser. The video shows that the mosquitoe was not able to die instantly but it obviously it is incapcitated and unable to fly anymore. The 125mW just continues to burns its body with smoke arising. I think that is a very good video camera because it very clear.

I believe with a 1w Spartan (Dragon Laser, obviously overspec), it should be able to take down flies easily.

My Spartan 1W just arrive, but I am still wating for my Tenergy's. I will post my results once I got my batteries.

Someone already posted on youtube how he zapped a mosquitoe with a common 125mW blue handheld laser. The video shows that the mosquitoe was not able to die instantly but it obviously it is incapcitated and unable to fly anymore. The 125mW just continues to burns its body with smoke arising. I think that is a very good video camera because it very clear.

I believe with a 1w Spartan (Dragon Laser, obviously overspec), it should be able to take down flies easily.

My Spartan 1W just arrive, but I am still wating for my Tenergy's. I will post my results once I got my batteries.

A good spot for bugs on your cars windows would be a little place near water and tons of foliage. My moms got a place in Scotia and tons of plant life around which means more bugs!:gun:

When Sketers are around you know theres a body of water somewhere those damn little devils