Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp New Favorite!

My favorite diode was always the Sharp 473 that we had a while back, since they are all gone it has been the 488-490,s now I’m not sure what happend exactly but I now have a new favorite, and it’s not like I haven’t seen these before,
This 505 diode is just insane, I should have put it in my desktop heatsink instead of the 490, Could it be much lower than 505 I don’t know!

I also added 2 pics of a different 490 diode that went LED after heatshrining the pins for too long, no big deal but I’m not sure if it’s normal I’ll show a vid of the LED diode changing wavelength while adjusting the current, from blue to lime and then compleatly dying!

https://youtu.be/w0D3-F1rMcE
https://youtu.be/vOaNF3RC-8A
https://youtu.be/qJ8aKDkZzBQ

Attachments

• R6xWl58.jpg
    R6xWl58.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 0hhZkkK.jpg
    0hhZkkK.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IJacXz8.jpg
    IJacXz8.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 64
  • VGvhpqJ.jpg
    VGvhpqJ.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 66sm85J.jpg
    66sm85J.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 61
  • MR7f8Ld.jpg
    MR7f8Ld.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Fmaw6dU.jpg
    Fmaw6dU.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Billy, depending on the accuracy of your photos, I agree that your "505nm" does look to be a lower wavelength doide.
It looks more like the 502nm ~ 503nm wavelengths that a few members have built.
Beautiful wavelength either way! :yh:

Last edited:
Yeah it looks stunning, I’m going to have to put It into a build!
It looks the same colour to me in person as do the pics and the vid, I had a 505 before and it was more towards 510 and I really didn’t like it, but this one is just stunning!

It really is difficult to make out the wavelength of these diodes from photos as they are rarely done justice by a picture on a monitor. I have a low 505nm that is just under 502nm and my photos of it look nothing like the beam in person. It is still obviously green, but not nearly as much as 510nm. Good luck with your new build.

Benm

Well, computer screens cannot render monochromatic light, so we'll just have to stick with whatever is in the RGB gamut of a monitor, and pure 500 nm certainly is not.

But the effect of still lasing at a different wavelength just before death is interesting.

I wonder what could have caused that - it seems to big a shift in wavelength to be just thermal in nature, but then again, why would it shift? Obiously it would be a bit expensive to try and reproduce this effect if it kills the diode, but i wonder if there is some method to do this without killing it - like high peak, low average current PWM.

That should do nothing if the effect is purely thermal, and at sufficient frequency also be fairly safe for the diode to handle.

Well, computer screens cannot render monochromatic light, so we'll just have to stick with whatever is in the RGB gamut of a monitor, and pure 500 nm certainly is not.

But the effect of still lasing at a different wavelength just before death is interesting.

I wonder what could have caused that - it seems to big a shift in wavelength to be just thermal in nature, but then again, why would it shift? Obiously it would be a bit expensive to try and reproduce this effect if it kills the diode, but i wonder if there is some method to do this without killing it - like high peak, low average current PWM.

That should do nothing if the effect is purely thermal, and at sufficient frequency also be fairly safe for the diode to handle.

I’m glad someone noticed the wavelength shift, it was like a 490-510 in a single diode when I was watching it,
these photos and vids are all done on my iPhone X, I don’t use a computer lately, I’ve had both these diodes in the past but when I saw this 505 just had to take some pics and a vid simply becouse the colour was just as stunning in person!

Thanks SingleMode!

Last edited:

DTR

That does look pretty blueish for the 505nm diodes and if it was one of the ones from me they were usually landing about 508nm. Can you get a pic of the number on the top of the can around the window?

Hi Jordan
It’s from existotem or newgazer I’ll double check but here is there discription,
I sent you an email yesterday can you have a look and get back to me please!

No it is Newgazer just went back and checked my PayPal purchaseas, This purchase was a while back!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/112426078090

Wow it was $40us when I purchased it a year ago, know they are only $17us!

Attachments

• LYUnq7Z.jpg
    LYUnq7Z.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
  • xRELnhZ.jpg
    xRELnhZ.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

DTR

Yea sorry my internet has been down or at best like dial up since late last ween due to high load so been a bit disconnected. Yea you mentioned on a 505nm build for a 510 host it works when you try connecting wires to the contacts of the adapter but when you screw it into the mech mod it will not power on. First thing that pops into my head there is some of the 505nm diodes were either case positive or case negative and mech mods are very simple unregulated power source that is case negative. Could be that you are shorting out when you connect it and do be careful as that is how most every ecig battery explosion you hear about happens. An unregulated mod shorting out in a tube without proper venting protection turning it into a pipe bomb basically. One reason I posted here as I always meat to put something up about that when i was offering sinks for those but since non of the units I offered were case pos/neg all neutral I never got round to it. Anyway maybe try a continuity test on the body of the unit and the positive 510 connection which would tell you if it is case positive if case negative I thing you might have already blown the diode by bypassing regulation so probably not that and if you wanted to test it you would have to open it up.

Yeah all these different pinouts is extreamly annoying, it’s still fine thankfully but I was thinking maybe I need to isolate the diode if it’s case positive, witch isn’t going to be easy,

Even when attaching the 510 cap it dosnt fire up, but removing the cap and using the wires to the driver it’s fine, Last thing I want is to LED this wonderfull diode!

Actually, these diodes came as case neutral or case positive. I think all the current ones on eBay are case positive now. I had an early case neutral one and used a Nano Boost driver with it. It was a low wavelength one too. Ever since I have had to deal with case positive diodes, I use the SL Blitz Linear driver. It is the only high Vf driver that is continuous positive.

Actually, these diodes came as case neutral or case positive. I think all the current ones on eBay are case positive now. I had an early case neutral one and used a Nano Boost driver with it. It was a low wavelength one too. Ever since I have had to deal with case positive diodes, I use the SL Blitz Linear driver. It is the only high Vf driver that is continuous positive.

So my choice of Groove 2 just becouse I had many lying around isn’t a good idea, It is fine at 200ma out of the host!

Just got home, I really need to trouble shoot this and get you guys some lovely photons happeneing, and ideas I’m listening!

Attachments

• cPnfZZE.jpg
    cPnfZZE.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

DTR

Yeah all these different pinouts is extreamly annoying, it’s still fine thankfully but I was thinking maybe I need to isolate the diode if it’s case positive, witch isn’t going to be easy,

Even when attaching the 510 cap it dosnt fire up, but removing the cap and using the wires to the driver it’s fine, Last thing I want is to LED this wonderfull diode!

Yea since Paul noted they are all case positive now, the 510 connector uses the body to carry ground and the case negative way you have it set up it is shorting as soon as the 510 adapter is screwed on. You could switch it around and have the ground be positive, reverse the direction of the batteries in the Mech mod and use a driver that regulates via the negative and can operate with a continuous positive. Most IR drivers you find in DPSS 532nm lasers will be like this (edit) but not sure if many can work with the high forward of the diodes.

Just note to be mindful all the time about putting the batteries in the right way and to screw the module on the right mod. Maybe non case isolated diodes are not really a good pairing with these setups. Just worry about that having one unit that has a completely different setup and mixing up can be dangerous. It could be very easy and maybe you even did for a bit screw it on and say not sure why it does not work and set it down not realizing it is shorting out without any sighs till it is too late. Kind of like those that stare into a 532nm laser when it does not come on to get a dose of IR to the eyeballs.

Last edited:
They are tough diodes though as you know, reverse the polarity on your power supply and they are still fine! I was actuall at thinking about using the pin for negative and case for positive but will it work with the groove 2, it seems to be fine with 8.4v