Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp GH04W10A2GC 350mW 405nm

You wouldn't happen to know what their average capacity is do you?

Brand new coming from liionwholesale.com they averaged 3300 mAh. I have tested every one I ever got as I received them. Panasonic also made 3400 mAh cells too. They all tested over that capacity too.

DTR

Im using this diode with a microflex v5. A very good single cell lion powering. Is this an optimal setup?

Yea the Flex is a good driver with these. Depending on how high you have the current set it might limit the run time due to the thermal shutoff on the driver that is unless you sink the Flex to your host body or main heatsink. If you are pushing up near 1A or more I would suspect the driver will act just like with the 1W 445's when they first hit. Maybe check out this golden oldie.
https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...uous-driver-duty-cycle-1-5a.56404/#post796360
Started to map it out as the 445's were pushed past 750mA
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/post-your-ma-and-mw.51432/page-7#post-714448
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/list-of-445nm-diodes.51897/

Some similar
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/flexdrive-v5-heatsinking.66568/#post-957350
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/the-imposible.64408/#post-923569
https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...avadrive2-fits-pens.22502/page-91#post-843746

Yea the Flex is a good driver with these. Depending on how high you have the current set it might limit the run time due to the thermal shutoff on the driver that is unless you sink the Flex to your host body or main heatsink. If you are pushing up near 1A or more I would suspect the driver will act just like with the 1W 445's when they first hit. Maybe check out this golden oldie.
https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...uous-driver-duty-cycle-1-5a.56404/#post796360
Started to map it out as the 445's were pushed past 750mA
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/post-your-ma-and-mw.51432/page-7#post-714448
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/list-of-445nm-diodes.51897/

Some similar
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/flexdrive-v5-heatsinking.66568/#post-957350
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/the-imposible.64408/#post-923569
https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...avadrive2-fits-pens.22502/page-91#post-843746
Wow, thanks for the great reply. Unfortunately, I just lost the tiny, really tiny SMD cap near the edge of the diode thru-holes. Tried to clear solder in the hole by the heating and blow method(not sure if its a real method). Unknowingly floated the solder and blew the damn cap(i assume givin its tan color) off too. Found it after an hour of looking only to have it slingshot out om tweezers!!! Said screw it, I'm done. Lol

I have piles of electronics. You dont happen to know the caps value do you?

Attached20191008_165620_HDR[1].jpg20191008_165708_HDR[1].jpg20191008_165651_HDR[1].jpg are the flex drive W missing component and maybe a microboost?? Doesn't work w a single cell.

Hi,
I set a SXD driver to 1100 mA and get over 1700mW's from them . The SXD driver needs no heat sinking under 1.8A . Pushing these 405's to 2W's and over your taking a big chance. I like to be very conservative with driver settings on all my builds no matter what diodes I use.
Better to be safe than sorry. we run these diode way out of of lie that they were intended originally for. food for though.
Rich:)IMG_4806.JPG

Last edited:
I would suggest getting a temperature controlled soldering station that you can set the temperature on. Also, using a smaller tip will help localize the heat and help keeping it from spreading to other components. The inductor on your driver looks like it has sustained a very high temperature, but that could be from something other than your soldering iron.

I would suggest getting a temperature controlled soldering station that you can set the temperature on. Also, using a smaller tip will help localize the heat and help keeping it from spreading to other components. The inductor on your driver looks like it has sustained a very high temperature, but that could be from something other than your soldering iron.
Thank you, I have a ts100 (great iron BTW, highly recommend). It does have a fine tip but I went a bit overboard with the temp. Not sure but I think I used a hot air rework at one point or another,inductor blob may have melted. These drivers are from 2012 2013.

I have a rework station as well that can be set to any temperature from 0 to 500* C. It has an iron and forced air which is also adjustable for the amount of air it forces onto an area. I have drivers going back well beyond 2012, but I have been soldering since the late 1960s. Ask anyone I have done work for how clean my solder joints look and you will hear nothing but compliments. Been doing it every day all of my life. It has been second nature to me for many years now. I guess I would say that practice makes perfect if you are having problems with your soldering.

DTR

Oh sh.... if you have not already don't attempt to power that diode with that driver and I would not worry about trying to replace any components. The board has been fried and so many issuers now can arise since the board has pretty much been reflowed and not in a controlled manor so you might have shorts in places you cant even see like under the IC. I would even sport you a new felx to keep you from trying to use that driver again. Even if you test load it and get a steady current if a solder connection or copper trace has been weekend causing a thermal runaway flash of extreme heat at the point of the bottleneck which itself could cause damage or say flow more solder in the area causing shorts or disconnects. Just too many issues with trying to salvage it.

Hi,
I set a SXD driver to 1100 mA

SXD or X-Drive. The older versions of the SXD had a range where you could go down to 1A or below but the startup on the SXD will always hit around a min of 1.5Aish before settling to the lower currents. Lazeerer decide to aim for 1.6A for the bottom of the first range on the V3 . Just a note as all the SXD I have will be min of 1.4A-1.6A as it can vary bit from unit to unit and some that are rare going down a bit lower but if the diode can not take 1.5A and survive it is not recommend to use the SXD. You can set it as low as 500mA but the regulator will go to around 1.5A on the sweeping start before settling to the set current if lower than that.

Also to be clear it is not a harsh inrush to 1.5A it is still a sweeping soft start to 1.5A so I would not worry if you are using the SXD as probably with this particular diode won't cause much excessive wear to have a extremely brief soft 1.5A start then settling to a 1.1A. The High power 500mW/700mW 638nm diodes are a definite no go with it.

Last point also the buck driver would mean two Li-ions in series where the flex in boost mode with this diode would use just one LI-ion or basically a 2.5V-6V source.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry about the information yes that's correct , for a minute I thought I did, I use the ACS1500 on those 405's thanks a lot Jordan. After I posted it dawned on me . Sorry Barthchris also for the misleading info . yes those flex drives are very tiny and you need a fine point to solder them . I use a conical tip the size is 0.01/0.4 in my Weller station.
Rich:)

Oh sh.... if you have not already don't attempt to power that diode with that driver and I would not worry about trying to replace any components. The board has been fried and so many issuers now can arise since the board has pretty much been reflowed and not in a controlled manor so you might have shorts in places you cant even see like under the IC. I would even sport you a new felx to keep you from trying to use that driver again. Even if you test load it and get a steady current if a solder connection or copper trace has been weekend causing a thermal runaway flash of extreme heat at the point of the bottleneck which itself could cause damage or say flow more solder in the area causing shorts or disconnects. Just too many issues with trying to salvage it.

SXD or X-Drive. The older versions of the SXD had a range where you could go down to 1A or below but the startup on the SXD will always hit around a min of 1.5Aish before settling to the lower currents. Lazeerer decide to aim for 1.6A for the bottom of the first range on the V3 . Just a note as all the SXD I have will be min of 1.4A-1.6A as it can vary bit from unit to unit and some that are rare going down a bit lower but if the diode can not take 1.5A and survive it is not recommend to use the SXD. You can set it as low as 500mA but the regulator will go to around 1.5A on the sweeping start before settling to the set current if lower than that.

Also to be clear it is not a harsh inrush to 1.5A it is still a sweeping soft start to 1.5A so I would not worry if you are using the SXD as probably with this particular diode won't cause much excessive wear to have a extremely brief soft 1.5A start then settling to a 1.1A. The High power 500mW/700mW 638nm diodes are a definite no go with it.

Last point also the buck driver would mean two Li-ions in series where the flex in boost mode with this diode would use just one LI-ion or basically a 2.5V-6V source.

Thanks again man! Yeah, I'll admit, after posting the large image I was like wow, thats some crap soldering! Lol! WTH was I thinking even posting it. Im usually much better, did this without a jewlers magnifier headset. At 45 vision sucks up close unaided! Believe it or not I go through almost a roll and a half of kester 63/37 a year but this is soldering with my other addiction, RC aircraft of all sorts.

Have not powered up and will remove. Need no more blown diodes. Gotta have some persistence to stay in this hobby. Even using test loads to measure current Ive been through MANY over the years!

Hi,
Sorry about the information yes that's correct , for a minute I thought I did, I use the ACS1500 on those 405's thanks a lot Jordan. After I posted it dawned on me . Sorry Barthchris also for the misleading info . yes those flex drives are very tiny and you need a fine point to solder them . I use a conical tip the size is 0.01/0.4 in my Weller station.
Yes, Im eyeballing the ACS1500. Ive had the higher rated black buck drivers are they are awesome.

Hi, They are great drivers and you won't need to bridge the resistors , just hook up to your dummy load with the proper voltage set the pot.
Done ....Kester 63/37 is what used for ever great solder and also Kester liquid flux is awesome to

Laserbran

Where did you find your wife??? Rare species indeed!!! Im probably one of the guys who DTR said needs stuff hidden like a gambling addiction. Good thing about DTR is how fast his shipping is. Two days to Maryland from pulling the trigger.

Anyway, just bought this diode and will use a flex drive v5 in a single 18650 coleman host.

Speaking of 18650s.. Recently hit the jackpot with 400(yes 400) 3200mAh 10C Panasonic and LG MH1 cells. The dockless scooter craze is great for us nerds. Got a hookup for one of the big name rental companies. He puts aside packs foe me that are good but scooter was broken beyond repair. Most have a few(5 max) charge-discharge cycles.

In just got more 18650s and am set for now. Will let ya know if I need more. Good hull! 3200mah are serious stuff. I'm using 2900mah in my builds right now. But anyway thanks again.

Laserbran

Just wanted to say you're a great guy DTR for helping in these ways and whenever there is an issue with a componants you sold or even just some bobbyist with no money but passion for a project you go out of your way to help. Few people today are as standup as you. Next paycheck I'll be ordering more from ya myself!
Have a very good one friend.

Just wanted to say you're a great guy DTR for helping in these ways and whenever there is an issue with a componants you sold or even just some bobbyist with no money but passion for a project you go out of your way to help. Few people today are as standup as you. Next paycheck I'll be ordering more from ya myself!
Have a very good one friend.
I agree. I been a slow but steady customer for years,I will only do business with him for diodes/lenses/drivers. Never got a bum deal and shipping is quick, real quick.