Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp 490nm GH04850B2G 55mW Laser Diode

Where will you be going? How long before you have to go back? I have tracking on all your packages coming to me. Should get them all in the next week or so.

I’ll be going to Oklahoma. I’ll be there about 8 days. No rush, Paul:D I know you’re a busy guy. Everything can be sent back to my APO address though. I’ll probably be back before you get everything in and get to it. Thanks for everything again, Paul!! Shoot me a pm an Lemme know your fee whenever you’re about done, and I’ll get it to you ASAP.
SGD:beer:

Where will you be going? How long before you have to go back? I have tracking on all your packages coming to me. Should get them all in the next week or so.

Thanks, Josh. I'll get it done when it all gets here. The tough part is setting that Blitz driver. I wish they would find a replacement for the pot they use.

Does that pot have chatter or tight spots? I’ve never played with one yet. I saw in LPF past there were once Blitz boost and buck drivers... wonder what happened to those if the linear is produced...
Anywho, thanks Paul!!
Josh

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
No, Josh. It is just a very tiny pot and when you apply pressure to turn it, it tends to stick and won't rotate. I have been grasping the adjustment wheel with a very small pair of dikes and gently turn it a little at a time. Then I power it back up and see if it needs additional adjustment. It is time consuming, but not as bad as it was before I discovered this way to adjust it.

I finally built my dtr 490nm laser its built in a cr2 jayrob kit the driver is set to 275ma its a microflex drive v5 i used a cr2 3v battery i know the laser driver should not handle the big forward voltage of the diode but it does no prob i also filled the heatsink with arctic alumina thermal adhesive i must of got a lucky diode because its very blue no green at all the color is nice i am very happy.

Last edited:
@evans965

It is likely you got a low wavelength diode. I am also curious how it compared to the PLT5-488 diode build that you sold?

BTW, why did you use thermal adhesive between the module and heat sink. If you ever need to take it apart for repair you will be SOL as it is in there for good, now.

Last edited:
i have a thinking and i guess i'll ask everyones opinion.
in my thinking there is a very good chance those diodes to not be the final 488nm diodes that sharp will mass produce.sharp is making various batches till the production of the final product,we have already seen the first batch that was(maybe) those 473nm diodes that had pure quality(some DOA) and then vanished.now we have this batch that are very close to the target 488nm wavelengh but looks like a small percent lasing at that wavelengh.

lets see the previous diode that sharp produced that was the 505nm diodes,we had a hell of a different batches with different wavelenghs pinouts etc,all had tha batches marked on the can as everyone remember but the actual end product came after those marked as GH05030C2LM and i have 2 of those diodes myself and now the interesting part....those doesn't have any batch printed on the cans :eek:

so my point is what if all those sharp diodes that have batch numbers printed on them are earlier and testing batches and not the final product?

I personally don't think the 473nm diodes that Sharp produced were defective in any way. Of the ones that were lost, many were mistakes in building or pen hosts with no heat sinking driven at 275 mA and not relying on short run times. Though those will not be coming back, these diodes are anywhere from 486nm to 493nm. That is a 7nm spread, which can happen among any batch of diodes. I think the hubbub is because these diodes are in a part of the vis spectrum that changes color with only a few nm difference. Otherwise, no one would even notice the difference.

Last edited:
The color is bout the same as my plt5 488 diode but it has that box around the dot and the osram one did not the beam quality is very good and thin i then filled the full back half of the aluminium heatsink with thermal epoxy and around the driver because its in a really small host and its running at 275ma i need to get the heat away somehow so then i wrapped kapton tape around the aluminium heatsink then pushed it in the cr2 host i have run the laser for 2 mins and its not even warm :)

Last edited:
I have had confirmation the 480's (measured 473-478 on most) were a step toward the 488s. They were never intended to be stocked as a product, I think some suppliers just ended up with them and managed to sell them off.

Now considering the diodes model # use the low power identifier, where the 495's use the higher power identifier... and that they are the same power... I think that they plan to eventually release a higher power 488 in the future. I'm not sure what the model numbers mean in the short term though, do sharp's 635/650nm diodes have a number on the can?

__

And yeah evans I think you got lucky both times with low WL diodes. My argon 488nm is just starting to dip its toes into green, but my 485 has no trace of green in it whatsoever.

The color is bout the same as my plt5 488 diode but it has that box around the dot and the osram one did not the beam quality is very good and thin i then filled the full back half of the aluminium heatsink with thermal epoxy and around the driver because its in a really small host and its running at 275ma i need to get the heat away somehow so then i wrapped kapton tape around the aluminium heatsink then pushed it in the cr2 host i have run the laser for 2 mins and its not even warm :)

Does your CR2 host not have a set screw on the heat sink to hold the module against it for good heat transfer? At most, I would use thermal heat sink compound, not thermal epoxy. If your diode is in a small host with no heat sinking, I would be concerned that you don't feel heat on the host after 2 minutes of run time at 275 mA. This indicates poor thermal transfer and not what the diode's temperature is during run times. I would limit run times to under 1 minute in this case.