Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Self defense

What RedCowboy said above ^^^^

Not to mention the difficulty of dazzling a active bear in both eyes with a 7mm to 10 mm laser dot + time to focus the laser under less than ideal circunstances or while running away--that is if a dazzler would even be effective on a bear which is uncertain/questionable.
You might just be able hit one eye and get him really pi$$ed off causing him to agressively attack/go after you.
Thats the last thing you want...an 800 pound beast that can run 30 mph, climb trees, and swim intent on going after the damn guy who shined a laser light at or in his eye or eyes LOL.

Have you ever heard of a laser beam turning a bear away?
The point is it might be better than nothing. As youve mentioned, you cant out run, out swim nor out climb a bear, and where Im going I dont have any other options besides a sharp stick.

BrownLuther007

I think you would need a powerful laser but even if that works you'll have to point it to its eyes, and that too in a panic situation when encountering a bear. So, I don't think that's a safe option against a revolver or a weapon or a simple fire.

Hi,
The moral of the story I dont F.. ck with them and keep your distance, by the way if you did you can blind the bear forever and thats just plain down right mean.
Rich:)

People always say you can't aim a laser effectively when in a panic situation..Well, the way I look at it that's what you're doing with a gun also. Except the laser stays on and you can see exactly where it's going in order to correct your aim. With a gun you have only so many shots to get it right.. Then you may even have to reload. With a higher powered laser dazzler, it fans out to cover more area and it doesn't actually permanently blind anything... But if they get close enough, it will.. But it's sooooo painfully bright that I just can't imagine a bear wanting to walk towards it at all. They don't have the ability to cover their eyes. They don't think like people.. They aren't trying to get revenge, they are just threatened and protecting themselves and would rather be left alone.. Now, on the other hand if you are carrying food... I dunno, lol!

Benjamax

For self defense, I think a laser is a very bad idea because you're going to have to aim for the eyes, which may be very difficult, even impossible when you're in an emergency and have only a few seconds to react. Also, you are almost certainly going to permanently blind your target, which is too cruel and unnecessary.
Instead of a laser, I would use a good flashlight. I don't believe anything would charge at you if you point..say..>10,000 lumens at it.
Almost all strong flashlights have a strobe feature too.

Screw that, if I'm going around wild animals that can run me down and chew my face off I want a gun !

More like the common sense thread. :)
By all means avoid the bear or if confronted wave your hands and make big noise to scare the bear away, deploy the bear spray if you must, but have a backup plan ( gun ) for those times when old Grizzle want's a flashey light wavey arm you for lunch.

LSRFAQ

Montana Grizzly Bear Notice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear
conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game
is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear scat. Black bear scat
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear poop has partially digested diode lasers and
little bells in it. It also smells like pepper
spray...

Steve