Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Second time around- 589 DL group buy feeler

I'm the one that talked to Jmillerdoc.

I'll post the whole story later (maybe not today), but long story short DL sold me an underspec laser (averaging <35mW) and told me all the 589nm Spartans they have in stock are underspec, therefore I couldn't get a replacement.

I'm the one that talked to Jmillerdoc.

I'll post the whole story later (maybe not today), but long story short DL sold me an underspec laser (averaging <35mW) and told me all the 589nm Spartans they have in stock are underspec, therefore I couldn't get a replacement.

That's disappointing. One can perhaps surmise that when they changed the listing for the yellow Spartan from 30mW to 50mW, they were in fact the same product, just a very overspec batch. It may be that the really overspec ones have gone and they just need to restore the 30mW listing. To say they can't help you because all their current ones are underspec is a none service. You may consider a chargeback or claim with your credit card company.

Unfortunately it looks like I have indeed missed the boat.. the leather jacket I bought instead of a Spartan several months back does add significantly more to my street cred than a yellow laser though :p

Last edited:
long story short DL sold me an underspec laser (averaging <35mW) and told me all the 589nm Spartans they have in stock are underspec, therefore I couldn't get a replacement.

I'm buying one from DL now. I asked the guy about that, and he said

"Rumors had been sent to me too. I copy my reply to the another customer for you
“Thank you for contact us. Spartan 589nm laser pointer guaranteed to be average around 50mW.
The power stability is roughly 30% to 50%. The laser generate heat quickly and over heat operation will make it unstable.
It is not as stable as green lasers. normally suggest to operate continuously less than 1 min.”

The measurement standard of 589nm 50mW laser had never been changed."

So we'll see. I'm not gonna bust balls over 10mW. I just want something better than my CR2-style pen that slowly warms up from 0mW to 0.3mW.

Here's the post with the full story: http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/underspec-dragon-lasers-spartan-589nm-50mw-buyer-beware-90903.html

That's disappointing. One can perhaps surmise that when they changed the listing for the yellow Spartan from 30mW to 50mW, they were in fact the same product, just a very overspec batch. It may be that the really overspec ones have gone and they just need to restore the 30mW listing. To say they can't help you because all their current ones are underspec is a none service. You may consider a chargeback or claim with your credit card company.

Unfortunately it looks like I have indeed missed the boat.. the leather jacket I bought instead of a Spartan several months back does add significantly more to my street cred than a yellow laser though :p

They did offer a full refund but I don't trust them enough to send it back to China with no guarantees. Wouldn't be fair to do a credit card claim after they offered a refund, since I don't know for sure they wouldn't honor it.

I'm buying one from DL now. I asked the guy about that, and he said

"Rumors had been sent to me too. I copy my reply to the another customer for you
“Thank you for contact us. Spartan 589nm laser pointer guaranteed to be average around 50mW.
The power stability is roughly 30% to 50%. The laser generate heat quickly and over heat operation will make it unstable.
It is not as stable as green lasers. normally suggest to operate continuously less than 1 min.”

The measurement standard of 589nm 50mW laser had never been changed."

So we'll see. I'm not gonna bust balls over 10mW. I just want something better than my CR2-style pen that slowly warms up from 0mW to 0.3mW.

I hope you're more lucky than me.