Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SciFi lasers

Re: Scifi lasers- how I dropped 140 USD for 4 minutes

I mean, we are talking about a laser diode right? The diode shouldn't be damaged by reverse current.

APEX1

Seriously? You don't actually think that do you?

APEX1

Your assuming diodes are 100% efficient. There's a thread about this already.

Your assuming diodes are 100% efficient. There's a thread about this already.

The diodes would have to be MORE than 100% effecient for my statement to be false :D.
It's a law, less votage with a positive resistance is less current.

Even if the diodes were 100% effecient, taking 1 watt of power, power is directly measured by Volts x Amps, and if the laser is rated for 1000mW on 8.4V, then it was doing 700mW on 6.2Volts

Pman

Well you already said you ran it over a minute and it doesn't sound like you gave it ample off time. That diode is being pushed to hit 1W+. I have a bunch of high powered 405nm units and not a single one hits 1W. Did he actually send you a power certificate that said it hit 1W? That laser says 800-1000mW and it's set for 600mA max which is more likely to be under 1W.
It's all over his site for polarity. NEVER ever assume polarity. I have a lot of lasers and different ones are wired different ways for various reasons. I ALWAYS mark their polarity and sometimes how many cells too. I would bet that anyone who has been into this for awhile has screwed up and blown a diode/driver/diode and driver once from guessing the wrong polarity.
He has the 501b as it is $160 with a G lens. The Arcane starts at $200 and has a 5 minute on/off cycle.

DTR

What battery configuration does he suggest. With the BDR-209 units I have that use the X-boost 5.5V is the max input and 3V minimum. This is ideal for a single Li-ion. Were you using two cells or just one as you had said 6.2V which sounds like you may have been using two cells.

The diodes would have to be MORE than 100% effecient for my statement to be false :D.
It's a law, less votage with a positive resistance is less current.

Even if the diodes were 100% effecient, taking 1 watt of power, power is directly measured by Volts x Amps, and if the laser is rated for 1000mW on 8.4V, then it was doing 700mW on 6.2Volts

Diodes only allow current to flow in one direction only, all diodes have a max reverse current that's a tiny fraction of the operating current, it will destroy the diode, all diodes have polarity. Please have a look at any data sheet of a diode that has one and you see listed "operating current" and something like "reverse current" or sometimes "reverse voltage"

What battery configuration does he suggest. With the BDR-209 units I have that use the X-boost 5.5V is the max input and 3V minimum. This is ideal for a single Li-ion. Were you using two cells or just one as you had said 6.2V which sounds like you may have been using two cells.

He doesn't use a boost driver, he says to use two 16340.

Alan

Well you already said you ran it over a minute and it doesn't sound like you gave it ample off time. That diode is being pushed to hit 1W+. I have a bunch of high powered 405nm units and not a single one hits 1W. Did he actually send you a power certificate that said it hit 1W? That laser says 800-1000mW and it's set for 600mA max which is more likely to be under 1W.
It's all over his site for polarity. NEVER ever assume polarity. I have a lot of lasers and different ones are wired different ways for various reasons. I ALWAYS mark their polarity and sometimes how many cells too. I would bet that anyone who has been into this for awhile has screwed up and blown a diode/driver/diode and driver once from guessing the wrong polarity.
He has the 501b as it is $160 with a G lens. The Arcane starts at $200 and has a 5 minute on/off cycle.

The laser came withno such certificate, just the box and pointer.

Speaking about certificates . I do remember the joker saying he is goin to stop sending certificates and start emailing them. Either way this guy would have only needed to spend another 5 mins on scifi lasers to find the info to be 100% sure about polarity.
I think its better emailing the certs as it gives customs no proof of laser power . Well it actually prooves its a laser too if cert is sent with laser. Instead of them thinking its a torch thingy

Last edited:

As he used it for 3 minutes new laser will be sent to him. We will try fix this one , if it will not work a new one will on it's way :)

As of today manuals and power checks are being sent via email. As it will be stupid to include a paper that says something like "laser" in the package.

edit :

I did run it for over a minute a few times, but not 3 minutes straight.
With the disposable batteries, i had figured that the effective duty cycle would be longer. (6.2 volts vs 8.4 volts)
Edit: no manual came with my laser.

I just now saw that post where you said you over run it.

Hmm please email me again. And we will solve it together. It is clearly said though to run it 1 minute on/off no more than that.

Last edited:

GSS

As he used it for 3 minutes new laser will be sent to him. We will try fix this one , if it will not work a new one will on it's way :)

As of today manuals and power checks are being sent via email. As it will be stupid to include a paper that says something like "laser" in the package.

edit :

I just now saw that post where you said you over run it.

Hmm please email me again. And we will solve it together. It is clearly said though to run it 1 minute on/off no more than that.
Joker I owe you a little apology by mentioning that you should put the manual in with the package. I didnt even think of customs. You do put all instructions on your sight and me being so anxious for my laser to arrive I read those posted manuals over and over so thank God I was prepared when it arrived.:beer::)

Joker I owe you a little apology by mentioning that you should put the manual in with the package. I didnt even think of customs. You do put all instructions on your sight and me being so anxious for my laser to arrive I read those posted manuals over and over so thank God I was prepared when it arrived.:beer::)

:beer:

manual is actually being emailed automatically in the order confirmation after you order :)

Reactions: GSS

rep for this guy. I beleive I caused the section in the manual about polarity to turn bold. so there's that.

tonez

Well that's a good thing for me to remember, batteries the correct way the first time ;)

Benm

Their must be a simple way to prevent putting batteries in backwards from killing the laser. I personally mark the tail caps with either a plus or minus.
Sorry to hear after waiting a month,your laser died the first day.

Being able to insert batteries the wrong way around and making contact is a basic design failure. They have nipples on the positive side for a reason, which holds true from simple alkaline AA's to (normal) 18650's and such.

This makes it extremely easy to prevent a reversed battery from making contact by mechanical means.

From an electronics standpoint there are -plenty- of options to prevent reverse polarity too. If you cannot prevent in mechanically, you could do a series diode. If the voltage drop across that is not acceptable, you can do a fuse + crowbar diode (fuse blows when battery reversed, rest of the circuit is okay). Even better, you can do a reverse protection using a mosfet and a few components that does not suffer any damage when reversed and hardly drops any voltage when properly operated.

In a product where the consumer can insert the batteries incorrectly and they still make mechanical compact, one of these mechanisms should be present. No exuses there.