Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SciFi Lasers SF501b blue 445nm 1.5--1.8W

Here’s my review of the Sci Fi Lasers SF501B 445nm blue 1.5—1.8W laser. It’s my first review so I hope I end up doing a good job of it.
I ordered it on Feb. 27th and it was shipped on March 9th and I received it on April 1st. So, a month and 3 days. Placing the order was pretty simple and I had to use Paypal. I set up a Paypal account since I didn’t have one and that wasn’t too difficult to do. But I did discover that they take a portion of every transaction. Anyway, I kept in touch with Eitan during the entire month that it took to receive the laser. There were some periods where the shipment was delayed in the post office in Israel, and getting a tracking number wasn’t easy, but once I got it, it was easy to track using the USPS website. Eitan even gave me a $30 refund due to the delays, which I thought was very nice of him!

The laser arrived in my mailbox on April 1st. I was told by Eitan that I’d have to sign for it, which is a good thing since I didn’t want it left on my doorstep and be stolen by someone else. However, the mailman just left it in my mailbox and never requested a signature. The package was smaller than I thought at 7 inches by 8 inches, so it fit in my mailbox easily. For some odd reason, I thought the package would be too big to fit in the mailbox. I opened up the envelope which is a bubble-wrap envelope and found the laser in a small box inside. The laser itself was also wrapped in another layer of bubble wrap inside the box, so it was quite well protected during shipping.

Now, about the laser itself. It’s my first high powered laser. About 18 years ago, I had a 5mw red laser which cost $17 from Sam’s Club. Couldn’t see the beam on that one unless it was a foggy night. So this blue laser from Sci-Fi is a whole different animal! The laser’s host has a bit of a “cheap” feel to it, much like some of the low priced flashlights I have, but I think it will hold up to normal use just fine. There is a focusing ring around the lens that can be turned to focus the beam for different distances. It turns very smoothly, but way too easily in my opinion. I had hoped to focus it and then leave it set, but even placing the lens cap (a rubber cap shaped like a hat) on it makes it turn, requiring refocus each time the laser is turned on. I believe someone here used a paper clip to tighten it on theirs, so I tried that by jamming it under the focusing ring to add some friction. So far, so good, even if somewhat unsightly. It’s only a small issue.

The beam is very clearly visible in a lit room, although I can’t see the beam outdoors during a sunny day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG5...H06hoPGvofju5OVxJubJXBHTnmScp9dg1yVj0CGbsDTpA

I’ve seen videos of 1W lasers that showed the beam as being visible during the day. Ultralight (a member here) posted a video showing this with the exact same laser I have. Maybe it was cloudy when he took his video. I also tried it after the sun went down and there was still bright twighlight. I could see the beam then.
The beam is what I expected after doing a lot of reading here. The “dot” is not a dot, but rather a line. When out of focus, it looks like a fuzzy area. Focus a little more and it becomes a blurry line. Focus all the way and it becomes a sharp line. As for burning, I haven’t done all that much since I didn’t get it for that purpose. Truth be told, I bought it to chase away loud birds that torment me in the morning. I figured a laser in the 1.5 to 2W range is something no bird could tolerate. I’ve seen videos of birds being scared off at a distance with a 150mw laser, so I figured mine would make them never come back. Just today, I hit one at close range. The result? He just sat there and looked at me like he didn’t even notice. Just kept pecking the ground looking for food and shooting his beak off with his irritating shrieking as usual! Didn’t even fly away until he was good and ready. Stupid bird! So much for lasers being a bird repeller. Let’s see him try ignoring a .22! :) but I digress. I was about to talk about burning. I put the laser exactly 4 feet, 2 inches from a black snow shovel and turned on the laser for about 20 seconds. It put a very small dent in the plastic. Not bad at that distance.

https://youtu.be/gNPbGtvmGKA

I also lit a match, but it wasn’t easy to do because I was trying to place a match in the laser’s path with (improvised) eye protection which prevented me from seeing the beam. I even started burning my hand at one point while making the attempt.
I ended up putting the match in a vice and aimed the laser by hand, which also wasn’t easy for the same reason. But once I got it on target, the match ignited. You guys who make burning video sure do make it look easy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoX_CW1-iHk

In late evening, I went to a public park. Nobody was there, thank goodness. It was cold. But there’s a great view of a lake below and a lot of distant trees. I took a video of me aiming the beam down by the water and toward the trees. I couldn’t see the beam actually hit anything at those distances, but it must have. I took video of this as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4NM3gz8Pc

Overall, I'd have to say that this laser is a very good deal considering the price. When I first saw 1W lasers on the market several years ago, they cost about $1,000. Now I own one that's almost twice as powerful for only a tenth the cost. I know there are others that may be more solidly built, but they will cost you more as a result. The SF501b from Sci Fi Lasers is the best deal I've come across so far in terms of value.

Here are some photos I also took:

Last edited:

Re: My review of the SciFi Lasers SF501b 1.5--1.8W

Awesome. My wifi is slow right now so I can't watch the videos but cool pictures

Hi LED,
Hey nice beams say whats on the white box to the right on the pic, looks like a penned a hand held what are those and whats in them??

Rich:)

Hi LED,
Hey nice beams say whats on the white box to the right on the pic, looks like a penned a hand held what are those and whats in them??

You might be disappointed to know that the items in order from left to right are: A flip-phone cell phone that cost me $5 and will be obsolete at the end of this year, a white ball point pen, a silver mini-mag flashlight (AA), and an upside down eyeglasses case.

Awesome. My wifi is slow right now so I can't watch the videos but cool pictures

I'm glad you like the pictures! They're probably better than the videos anyway. Other members have produced far more superior videos. I don't know if it's my camera or if it's just me.

Hi LED,
Pics are cool you did well my man,,

Thanks for the review buddy. We are going to make sure Elly get his this week too :)

I just wanted to amend my review with a couple more videos that I thought would be helpful. I had originally stated that the beam on my laser couldn't be seen during the daytime. I should point out that it was sunny that day. Now we've finally had an overcast day with some light rain. I tried it again and was able to see the beam. Of course, I took a video of it to show it off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIfz3L91Yk

Also, I tried again and lighting a match. The way I did it this time was to turn the laser on and have it mark exactly where the beam shines. Then I turned it off and taped a match to the spot where the laser dot was. Finally, I simply turned the laser on and the laser dot was automatically focused on the match head. From the video, you can see that the match flares up almost instantly. The distance from the laser to the match was 4 feet, 2 inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaY60kx0Sc

And now for a few more pictures! I used mirrors to bounce the beam around in my living room, both with the living room light on, and off. I think having it off looks better:

Last edited:
I'm taking requests for more pics like the ones above!

Last edited:

GSS

I'm taking requests for more pics like the ones above! (on the previous page)
LED, No No offence please. I don't think that is the proper laser to do reflection pic's. Yes they are cool pic's and very fun to do I can imagine but its way way to powerful and with that lens its more of a close up burner and I think its only a matter of time before you will get a shot to the face it can happen to most experienced. A low watt greenie will be just as nice and members will still enjoy your reflect pics.
Plus we all love to see things burned my friend!

Last edited: