Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sci-fi Laser : Ironman

Greetings all ,
Hammy here.

As you know , 650nm C mount at 5W+ has just recently been made available to the hobbyist world .
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/testing-new-650nm-660nm-5w-diode-82919.html

P6020038_zps79739394.jpg

P6020036_zps751d2a36.jpg

Great news!
Opening a brand new sphere to the world of red lasers.

However, that raises an interesting question.

Ironman lasers!
rbf.gif

How much watt of power does it takes to slice 40mm thick titanium carbide alloy and through layers and layers of machinery with a flick of the wrist?

The most powerful dedicated laser cutter we have today are only at 6kW , and its in IR.
Even it can't slice 13mm steel as quickly as shown on the gif.

Heck!
Even plasma cutters can't do it.

So here comes the question.

How much power does it take to slice up droids like ironman ?

:lasergun:

ARG

Also depends on the beam size as well as the power :p

Should be an interesting discussion. I've always thought it would be a laser so powerful that the heat from it would burn his wrist.

Also depends on the beam size as well as the power :p

Should be an interesting discussion. I've always thought it would be a laser so powerful that the heat from it would burn his wrist.

well for the sake of .... lol .... practicality .. (can't say it with a straight face :crackup: )

Lets say as long as it can be mounted on an exoskeleton eh?

You had me going when i first saw it. I thought it was for real (watching it on a mobile phone didnt really see the ironman just the cutting effect) and thought WOW how much power is that which is your question ..Good question thanks for the post

Last edited:
Wouldn't the energy be so big, that the opposing force from the photons coming out, propel the user back? Like a... light propelled rocket? :eek:

Wouldn't the energy be so big, that the opposing force from the photons coming out, propel the user back? Like a... light propelled rocket? :eek:

Photonic Laser Thruster eh?
Well according to Journal of Spacecraft and rockets .
http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JSR/2008/PVJA32284.pdf

Photon thrust obtained follow the formula below.
tnzu.png

(Read the abstract if you want to devise the total thrust)

There is a problem tho , although in classical physics .
Reactions and actions should be in pair .
Does it apply to photons tho?
Photons are not matter , they are simply discrete energy packets as according to Einstein.

Yet, those energy packets DO have mass .
All in all ,making this a VERY confusing scenario for someone not educated in Laser Physics.... like ... well... me :(

Photons are not matter?
:eek:
It has mass... so its matter, no?

but its also pure energy .

lol here we go again.
Wave–particle duality of light lol

The problem is , I am not really sure what part of photons are they using in the PLP system.
Are they treating it as a momentum transfer process from the photons to the mirror surface ?
Or are there some higher level physics involved where EM is transformed into KE .

Last edited:
Well the photon thrust theory you posted comproves the photon is matter.
Anyways I didn't say it isn't a wave too.

Heheh. I'll read the link
I feel a language barrier. I can't say what I want to say :p

Well the photon thrust theory you posted comproves the photon is matter.
Anyways I didn't say it isn't a wave too.

Heheh. I'll read the link
I feel a language barrier. I can't say what I want to say :p

For the scope of our discussion...
What I wish to know is .. what creates the Radiation pressure that drives the PLT.
What gives EM radiation its momentum ,why does photons have mass??????

And since it DOES have mass when its not at rest , does that means that classical physics do still apply and the reaction pair from the ironman laser create a MASSIVE recoil??

Last edited:
You had me going when i first saw it. I thought it was for real (watching it on a mobile phone didnt really see the ironman just the cutting effect) and thought WOW how much power is that which is your question ..Good question thanks for the post

How gullible are you?

Trevor

With a 1mm beam, I'd say probably well into the hundreds of megawatts, potentially into the gigawatts.

Figuring out exactly how much power it would take would require a degree in materials science though... and I lack that. :p

Trevor

By the way, photons don't have mass. They have energy. While there is a mass-energy equivalence, it's irrelevant in the case of a photon, since they never slow down (which is the only thing that contributes to mass-energy equivalence in matter). Light exerts pressure though because it has momentum (it has energy, velocity, etc.). Weird to think that something without mass can have momentum, but it can!