Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scam-baiting. What do you know?

Morgan

Hi All,

I've recently been a little hard up on funds so have found a little free entertainment. It's baiting the scammers. I've read a few very funny outcomes from others and now am talking to a couple of scammers and giving them the runaround. Has anyone had experience of this pastime? Has anyone got any cool tools I could use to befuddle and generally iritate the hell out of these underhanded people? I will, of course, publish my findings, (there is some funny stuff already to post but it's not complete yet!).

The kind of tools I'm looking for initially are IP and MAC masking, (those here know me enough to know this is a white/grey hat operation!). I've had a search and couldn't find anything totally suitable so some links would help. I would suggest any links be posted in a PM to me so they're not in the public domain but any help from you guys would be appreciated. I honestly think the results, to be published here, will be entertaining!

Thanks guys.

M
:)

Morgan

Thanks guys, that's the kind of resource I needed. I just signed up with 419Eaters.

I think it's IP stripping email I need.

It's a Russian love scam. Funny as hell but could be safer!

M

Last edited:
Maybe you could use your new found skills... once
they are honed... on some banned LPF scammers
that are still running their BS businesses elsewhere....:whistle:

Jerry

You can try to see if you can scam them, if they promise you money say that you need a small amount of money to get to your bank account (divorce or something) or ask them to send a small amount to "verify" the bank account.
But what I always to is supply fake information via a gmail account (gmail doesn't send IP adresses AFAIK) with the bank account number being that of the CJIB, the dutch Central Judicial Collection Agency that sends traffic tickets. If they ever mess with that bank account, they're messing with the wrong guys :D

Last edited:
I always wondered why the authorities dont go after some of the bad guys using stings- they do that for a lot of crimes that in reality have almost no victims. I do see some that make sense to me but a lot of stings dont really help the general public. Scammers are easy to find- I have gotten a lot of spam that is clearly am attemp to either scam me at worst or just phishing at best-- one claimed to be from the director of the FBI-- some balls they got-

another claimed to be from UPS and said I missed the delivery of a package and they were going to return to sender unless I opened thier attachment-- I fell for neither.

The elderly are often scammed. And THAT is a dirty shame. Go getem Morgan take up thier time and you may be helping out some potential victims!!! hak

Morgan

Yep, taking up time is the idea. I do like the idea of scamming the LPF scammers though!

Gmail? I've been told that. I'll look into it.

I have read that if you do get evidence of demands or threats, and you have some bank account details, you can get the contents seized and the account closed so they do get clobbered sometimes.

We'll see how it goes though. Much to learn...

M