Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

sanwu spiker issues..........

So a friend of mine and myself just purchased a spiker 7w . he received his a few weeks before I received mine. I had mine for a little over a week and it stopped working, it just shut off one day right after I turned it on... just to be clear, this is not my first laser..I am very careful about duty cycle. Actually I never even have it on more than 35-40 seconds at a time..and I make sure it has cooled down for atleast 5-10min before I use it again...(because I really do love my lasers...Especially love my Spiker... So I figured it was just some bad luck and it is still under warranty, so no worries... But then my buddy called me a few days later and his spiker has the same problem... again his is under warranty , no worries..Has anyone else had an issue like this with their 7w spiker, Im wondering if I should have sanwu just put a 5w in , or is it just some bad luck, and I should stick with the 7w... I will say that Sanwu has been very very prompt with responding to my emails, They are great with customer service..One more question, is the duty cycle for sanwu's 5w really unlimited? thank you in advance to anyone that helps out...and Happy Lasing

All your questions would be much better
answered by the builder (Sanwu)...IMO

When I have a product that stops working
I first go to the Seller/Manufacturer for
precise info on their product.

Jerry

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, and I have emailed Sanwu asking them , I was just curious to see if any one else has had similar issues or if they havent had any issues, iIm just simply reaching out. Again Thank you for your input.

diachi

Sanwu is Great.

What kind of batteries are you using?

Also, are they charged...? You never mentioned anything about verifying the batteries are charged, OP. That sort of power being pulled out of your typical lithium 18650 or 26650 is going to drain it fairly quickly.

Last edited:

BobMc

That is kinda weird???

Hopefully it just some bad luck. Havn't used my 7watt Spiker all that much. But every time I ask her to produce photons, she steps up to the plate.

As for which diode the 5 or 7 watt, it up to whether you'd like power or a good looking beam. There's something to be said for both. Or you could just get both? I know I'm a lotta help. :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I wonder if it could be a tail switch issue, it might be worthwile to try to bypass the switch with a wire or paper clip to eliminate the possibility?

Good luck, I'm sure Sanwu/Podo will take care of you! :yh:

Yes, Sanwu is handled by a member here that goes by the user name Podo. Try sending him a PM.

thx everyone, The batteries are the ones from sanwu and yes they were fully charged. I went thru the trouble shooting as advised by sanwu,...check batteries, check tailswitch, bypass tailswitch,... sanwu thinks its probably the diode,..But I was really just posting to see if this was a common issue with the 7watt spiker ,and if so I would probably just go with a 5w and if its not very common of an issue then I would stick with the 7w.. Since it happened to my buddy and myself I thought I would check with forum to get some insight... Again Thank you all for your suggestions and willingness to help troubleshoot, It doesnt seem like this issue is very common, So that is good to know...IM shipping my laser to sanwu tomorrow , and I will post what sanwu finds to have been the problem,. .. Again,...Thank you everyone, .....

And ,...yes Bobmc , I agree with you, I think I need to have a 5w and a 7w,... I find myself drooling over your collection quite often.. I dont think you can ever have too many lasers...

I doubt many members here use their 7 watt lasers very much. So, it might not be something many people here have seen. Unless you use cyl. lenses and a BE, the NUBM44 diode is the worst for just shining a laser to get beam shots with. It has the worst divergence specs of any diode used by our members. I have yet to finish mine as I have all the lenses and stuff, but other projects keep getting in the way. To me, I wouldn't buy this diode in a Chinese laser because I have grave doubts about their stingy use of heat sinking and this diode puts out waste heat like no other. I hope things go well for you and you get your laser repaired or replaced, but at some point you might want to start thinking about building your own. :yh:

paul1598419 , thank you very much for your input,...I guess you are right about most members not really using their 7w very much,... I think BobMC is the only one who actually responded about his usage of his 7w.... I think I will just go with the 7w , and give it one more try. As for building my own,...Ive built a couple so far. And I have 2 builds in progress at this moment. I have a copper heatsink(about 300g) with aluminum sleeve that I machined on my mini lathe and I have 3 drivers from sanwu (multimode) and 2 lazeerer super XD drivers to choose from, I just need to purchase some diodes. So Im getting my feet wet trying to build my own, with the very little spare time I have, I build, service , and repair drones, lots of repairs...takes up most of my time. But I think lasers are slowly becoming priority over drones....Thanks for the input, I think u gave me a new perspective on the 7w....definately not a laser for every day use...

BobMc

And ,...yes Bobmc , I agree with you, I think I need to have a 5w and a 7w,... I find myself drooling over your collection quite often.. I dont think you can ever have too many lasers...

Thanks for the compliment. I agree never to many.

So you fix drones. I'm getting ready to order a Mavic Pro platinum fly more combo, it will be my first drone so it should be all sorts of fun.

I've sent a couple laser back to Sanwu and they always r@r them quite quickly, even sent me a coupon number to off set the shipping charge so things should go smoothly for you. Best wishes and let us know how things go. :)

If it doesnt smell burnt, pergaps the battery isn't making contact with the module fully. I have put a neodinium magnet on the end of the battery in my silver to make better contact. Somtimes the module undscrews forward when adjusting the focus and you lose contact between it and the batteries. This happens in my pocket sanwu as well. Just carfully thread the module a few turns back towards the battery case. Do not

If I was of any help to you, MultirotorBill, that's great as I do try to help where I can and always learn something new when I can. It's also wonderful that you have a lathe and can machine your own hosts. I look forward to your reviews of your own builds in the future. :yh: