Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu saber attachment

Pman

Wasn't sure where to put it so here we are.
I had noticed the saber attachment on their site before and since I was ordering a couple of their lenses, and a beam expander with adapters I figured why not check out this $10 attachment and see what's what. That other stuff should be here soon as Podo said the sabers get mailed separate.
I had no idea really how large it was as it didn't seem to be like a full saber like you have seen on anything and it isn't. It's about 18" long by 1/2" wide.
I knew that it was supposed to fit Sanwu products but the question was what else would it fit since I don't own any of theirs.
It comes in what is basically bubble wrap wrapped around it and then taped over plus the shipping label:
xgymso.jpg

After looking at the end adapter I didn't expect it to fit anything I had but somehow I had open a small case that had my 2 all brass builds in it and it screwed right into the front perfectly. Really strange how it went down but it's the truth and there's no other laser I have that it will fit. It needs a simple adapter on it to be able to screw it into the same threads that a regular lens screws into or so a lens could screw into it as if it was a focus adapter. I am trying to figure out a way to adapt it.

I should have shined up the brass before the pics but here they are:
13MxFx.jpg

FrRJqT.jpg

Obviously these were meant to have something that could attach to them or they wouldn't be threaded. I don't know squat about where they were originally purchased from but I bought them from Trussmonkey as non-working units and the builds can be found here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/twin-462nm-all-brass-builds-bonus-2-a140-builds-98092.html

FOZtt3.jpg

It was a bit disappointing that the saber came with a lot of scratches on it. I don't know if they look pristine before they are sent out or they are just in a pile at Sanwu or shipping did it but I don't think it was shipping as it was wrapped well enough to not have it happen. Maybe the 3 more I'm getting will be better but I'm not holding my breathe on that.
mz6OTK.jpg

ewP4k6.jpg

So you are looking at NDB7675 462nm:
DlAaYi.jpg

What I am showing is there is no "beam" stop on the end so it is very bright off the end like a flood flashlight:
ij9Ms4.jpg

If I put a cap like the ones I showed in an earlier pic that is either the black one or has something reflective in it then that goes away:
uScOTk.jpg

Here's a pic with it laying on the floor with a cap that is lighter to it still lets too much out the end:
ZDro0p.jpg

Here's a pic with a cap that is the dark blue one but with a piece of reflective tape inside:
53aX9x.jpg

mBZc4R.jpg

VpCTPD.jpg

OK, so why do I keep talking about the output and using the caps?
The laser itself with no saber on outputs about 1.2W with the 3 element lens on it. With no cap on the end of the attached saber there is almost 800mW coming out! With a cap that has some transparency which is basically every cap except for the black one there's still about 80mW or so out the end. With the black cap or the dark blue one with the piece of foil tape in it to reflect back there's less than 5mW as in more around 2mW. Nuff said;)

I just ordered 3 more as I have 2 of those brass lasers plus I'm going to figure out a way to make them work with almost any laser. Would look really cool on a pen laser since it is only 1/2" wide.

I did take a pic holding it with me in it but I don't really want to post that:)

Last edited:

Yep, indeed very cool accessory. Though they scratch easily they work great, and if you look closely with a lower powered laser you'll notice that the beam actually stays pretty collimated through the material, so be careful as the end of the attachment is still an eye hazard.

By the way, Podo sells an adapter that converts the threading on the saber to standard 9mm lens threads. It will work with any DTR 12mm type module.

Pman

Where is the adapter? I didn't see it unless it comes with it and it's in the other package. Like I said, these would go great with a pen especially one with some real output like some of the ones I have made.
Also, thanks for looking as everyone seems to off doing other things. The most important thing here was to make others aware of not just how cool they are but of the potential dangers so I'm hoping many will read it. Safety has to remain a big concern if not the top one here and it's very possible someone might think something like this makes it safe.

Where is the adapter!?! I just looked again and see nothing. Ugh that would stink if I have to pay shipping again for the adapters. When you add one to cart it doesn't say anything about an adapter.

Last edited:
Where is the adapter? I didn't see it unless it comes with it and it's in the other package. Like I said, these would go great with a pen especially one with some real output like some of the ones I have made.
Also, thanks for looking as everyone seems to off doing other things. The most important thing here was to make others aware of not just how cool they are but of the potential dangers so I'm hoping many will read it. Safety has to remain a big concern if not the top one here and it's very possible someone might think something like this makes it safe.

Where is the adapter!?!

Yea the saber goes great with my silver series, almost like a pen on steroids but it's the perfect size ratio.

That's odd that I can't find the adapters on Sanwu's new website, but it's on their old one. Here's a screencap:
etxgzl.png

Hopefully they're still up for sale, I'd send Podo a PM and see if you can work something out.

Pete that's awesome.
I've got the exact same brass host with a 455nm diode that I'd like to try this on.
Thanks for the heads-up on this to you and ElectricPlasma.

:beer::beer:

BobMc

For a 10.00 investment it looks like you got a whole lot of fun there! Bet they look real nice on a dark night ! Might have to get me one !

Huh. That's different. It's certainly unusual and I can see the attraction. Thanks for showing me something new. A day when I learn something new is always a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Pman

Hey thanks everyone:) Man I sure want those adapters to go with the one I have plus the 3 I just ordered. Thanks for finding that and showing that they did at least exist. I had gotten a PM from Podo asking and he alluded to me that there is one so I sent a message back asking for clarification as I sure didn't see it. Thanks Elec. Lets see what he says back. Hopefully it just didn't carry over to the new site. It sure would be nice not to have to build my own;)
Sorry I didn't shine up the brass hosts first. Anything brass or copper needs attention almost every time I take one out.
I was also thinking that this also may be another decent way to try and show the wavelength differences between diodes which is something I have been doing for awhile now when I show something I built.
RB, that would be great if you have the same host as the threads are perfect as is. Do you remember where you got the host/laser from? They are very substantial which always makes a laser feel like quality even though brass isn't so great for thermal conductivity.

Last edited:

Pman

Just got the rest of the package and the adapter was in it! They must include it now or something. I guess I'll find out when the other 3 arrive in a couple weeks. Don't know why they just didn't screw it onto the end of the saber to begin with.

EDIT:
I just realized that that adapter is the one that I bought with the 3x beam xpander so they don't come with them unless they messed up CRUD! That means the only place I see where you can buy them is at the beam x spot after you click on it and they are $10 each. What the heck, they show $5 more to add with the sabers but there's no option to do it. Got to be kidding me I actually need 4 of them. My order # is 690149 if Podo sees this and I haven't gotten a notice that they have shipped yet.

Attached to pen lasers with the adapter:
638nm
xEZV6v.jpg

405nm
6ClEv6.jpg

450nm
BPfP2o.jpg

650nm:
hi7var.jpg

510nm
jzeORV.jpg

Hard to capture them right.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Cool, Pete; can't beat an instant light saber for $10!
Nice wavelength comp. pics in your last post. Good work buddy. :)
:gj: and :kewlpics:

PS - Congrats on 2000+ I'd add some more, but can't quite yet.

Last edited:
RB, that would be great if you have the same host as the threads are perfect as is. Do you remember where you got the host/laser from? They are very substantial which always makes a laser feel like quality even though brass isn't so great for thermal conductivity.

Pete love those last shots !
Awesome, will +rep you again when I can.
I'll hopefully buy some of these soon.

I bought my unit from a guy on ebay that ships them from SYD.
Same bloke I bought the Thor II optical lens unit from.
But he's sold out now.
Sydney Thor Laser 445nm 450nm Blue Laser Beam Burn Match Paper Military Grade | eBay

They're a very nice solid unit, as you say, with a very nice look and feel although the metal finish is nice and polished, you can tell it's not high grade though.

Here's a couple of snaps of the unit I bought, very happy and quite a good burner.

RB
:D

pro_2A2A2500.jpg

pro_2A2A2503.jpg

Reactions: GSS

Podo

Just got the rest of the package and the adapter was in it! They must include it now or something. I guess I'll find out when the other 3 arrive in a couple weeks. Don't know why they just didn't screw it onto the end of the saber to begin with.

EDIT:
I just realized that that adapter is the one that I bought with the 3x beam xpander so they don't come with them unless they messed up CRUD! That means the only place I see where you can buy them is at the beam x spot after you click on it and they are $10 each. What the heck, they show $5 more to add with the sabers but there's no option to do it. Got to be kidding me I actually need 4 of them. My order # is 690149 if Podo sees this and I haven't gotten a notice that they have shipped yet.

Hard to capture them right.

No problem, we will include four adapters into your order. We fixed the saber page so you can add the M9*0.5 adapter now.:)

Pman

Thanks gents. I wasn't actually paying attention to it and then I noticed. I honestly wan't trying to gain rep, I was just doing what I always do (trying to give back where I can). Find it funny how I'm still ranked class 3B. Just seems out of place.
Man does yours look shiny RB. Mine came well used so even though they shine up OK they don't have that super new look.
Podo, thanks for listening and I kind of feel bad for maybe pushing a bit. I was just frustrated that I couldn't figure out what to do. A+ for fixing the issue too:) Hoping you get some sales out of it as they are pretty cool. It's really interesting how the wavelengths look inside it and they are relatively inexpensive too. I've got a couple of oddball ideas on what to do with them once I have more than one to work with.

Podo is always good at resolving customer problems, he'll always make sure you're happy with your order. Anyway cool photos, also are you sure that host is brass? To me it looks a bit more saturated than brass does but maybe it's the photo/my monitor

GSS

Pman, I would like to see a different green WL comparison using these saber's.
Your on to something here as by far this is the best iv'e seen with the camera you use:)