Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Lasers - Offical thread

I plan to order some products (over US $2000) from Sanwu Lasers.
However, your comments have made me uneasy.
Sanwu Lasers quality is not good?
The city Shanghai is in a Covid lock down. The very same city where Sanwu Lasers is located.

This. I have ordered multiple lasers from them, and I have had no issues. Flawless communication, no problem with delivery. Except with the last order, where I ordered a 2W 470nm Challenger II, which only lit up for a moment and then died. I have written to them 1-2 weeks ago regarding another planned order (and planned to talk to them about the broken laser) but there was no reply from them either. I assumed it might be due to the catastrophic COVID-19 situation in Shanghai. I will wait patiently until their situation is resolved, especially since I had really good experience with them so far.
Your assumption is correct.

Cosmicray

I have ordered 3 Pocket lasers and 2 Challenger II lasers from them. All work flawlessly, except for this one blue Challenger. But stuff happens and overall their lasers are robust and work well for me. So personally, if they get back to me, I will certainly order from them again.
Thank you for the useful advice.
If Sanwu Lasers responds with an appropriate guarantee to you, I will initiate an order with Sanwu Lasers.
I will refer to your comments on what product warranty you got later.

kmanmx

Mine has eventually arrived after about 10 weeks. Ordered in early March. Striker 7.5w and beam expander. All good and somehow managed to avoid paying any import taxes.

That said, i'm probably going to sell it on. It burns incredibly but I guess I was expecting a greater brightness difference compared to my 2w blue.

Last edited:

Podo

We have resumed business last Tuesday as restriction has lifted in our area(still unable to ship directly from Shanghai airport, have to send orders to other province(state) to ship them), we were unable to access our workplace and factory for an entire under the lockdown which makes it very difficult to keep track on things...Now we are working to get all April orders sent first. Please reach us on facebook or email us: sanwulasers@gmail.com if you have any inquiries in regards to your order.

-Podo
AKA Francis from SANWU LASERS

Jody373

Well I'm new here. I ordered a sanwu striker a year ago with no problem and then my last order was in april. I texted them and francis said pretty much the same thing to me about the shanghai lockdown so I'm waiting for my april order as well

Jody373

Mine has eventually arrived after about 10 weeks. Ordered in early March. Striker 7.5w and beam expander. All good and somehow managed to avoid paying any import taxes.

That said, i'm probably going to sell it on. It burns incredibly but I guess I was expecting a greater brightness difference compared to my 2w blue.
I bought a striker 7.5w myself and found i was not impressed with the beam divergence. My first laser i thought more power would go farther so I'm wishing i could trade it for a green 532nm, something that goes far. I got beam expander for it and it doesnt do much good on the 7.5w blue.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I bought a striker 7.5w myself and found i was not impressed with the beam divergence. My first laser i thought more power would go farther so I'm wishing i could trade it for a green 532nm, something that goes far. I got beam expander for it and it doesnt do much good on the 7.5w blue.
That’s inherent to the diode and nothing to do with Sanwu.

Russdog

One thing no company is offering are lasers with beam shaping optics. Personally I quite find lasers that produce a line and not a round spot a very compelling reason not to purchase. I had my eye set on buying a 462-465nm laser until I found out the diode produces a line, not a spot. Beam correction optics could be offered as a laser ready made or as an optional add-on.
One way to do this is to send the beam through a very small circular pin-hole. Unfortunately it means blocking a lot of the output, but the smaller the hole, the more circular the beam will appear over at least midrange distances.

Sowee7

One way to do this is to send the beam through a very small circular pin-hole. Unfortunately it means blocking a lot of the output, but the smaller the hole, the more circular the beam will appear over at least midrange distances.
473nm DPSS lasers produce a circular (TEM00) beam and SM ≈470nm diodes can have a good, almost circular beam

Russdog

That’s inherent to the diode and nothing to do with Sanwu.
It would probably cost the manufacturer a lot more to make circular surfaced diodes that produce high output (at least to >5 watt 450nm diodes).

Last edited:

Russdog

473nm DPSS lasers produce a circular (TEM00) beam and SM ≈470nm diodes can have a good, almost circular beam
I remember older DPSS green lasers also having elliptical, almost circular shaped beams. I also have a 1 watt ~445nm blue laser that has a somewhat less divergent beam. It just seems that the higher the power, the more likely the diode surface is to be a long thin strip. I would like to know more about the manufacturing process.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Diodes like the 405nm BDR-209 are rare exceptions with laser diodes that they are capable of high output power in a single mode TEM00 output. Diodes of higher power operate in multimode.

I recommend having a quick read of this page. https://www.laserglow.com/content/Laser-Beam-Profiles

Some multimodes have had impressive beam specs still. So not all multimodes have poor specs, but won't be as good as single mode diodes. And DPSS is a different technology altogether. The lasing crystal produces its own independent beam that is non dependent on pump beam specs. The beam the crystal produces will often be superior to the diode that pumped it. This beam is then frequency doubled with no loss of quality.

As for costing the manufacturer more, it has little to do with cost so much. It comes down to scientific advancement. We are yet to mass produce single mode diodes with such high power levels.

Last edited:

Warthog570

I know there is a review section, but this was more of a review of Sanwu itself. I made this account because of how impressed i was with the build quality of my Pocket Laser. It was my first “nice” laser purchase and, even though it was only $100, it is honestly one of the highest-quality things I now own. I am just blown away with, not only it’s performance, but how it actually feels. It is so small, but so incredibly dense. There are no visible lines for the battery compartment, until it unscrewed, it is impeccably polished. The attention to detail is phenomenal and is exactly what I was looking for. Will certainly buy another, and will not even bother checking another company. I did not even expect to receive it for many weeks, it arrived around 16 days after ordering. Very impressive, considering the lockdown. Many thanks.

Im Greek

I ordered 488 nm Cyan Sanwu Pocket a 14 days ago for 160$ in Bitcoins, it's will be my first laser and i a little woried, becouse i maked full prepayment and Sanwu doesnt returt money when you pay in Bitcoins. And there are no any guarantees that i will get my laser. They resently end the holydays and i still waite my laser. Im a little disapointed