Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Blue Laser - Silver Series Batteries?

I ordered a Sanwu Silver 3W and they do not include batteries.
Their site, https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/silver says.......

Double protected Flat top 2*18650 / 2*18350(not included)

Does it have to be flat top? I want to use 18650's but I don't know which brand.
Orbtronic has a ton of choices on Amazon...

What is "double" protected mean anyways? I know they have 'circuits' that protect them....

Thanks. Cheers.

:angel:

Razako

What? My silver series can't even use flat tops. I need to use button tops or there's no contact.

What? My silver series can't even use flat tops. I need to use button tops or there's no contact.

When did you purchase yours? I just got a response from Podo, the main Sanwu guy on these forums, and he advised that "flat tops" are "preferred"... unless maybe they require some sort of spacer/contact assistance?

This is becoming more difficult than I thought. I'm just trying to find the best batteries :(

I have it and with the extension tube, which requires two 18650's you need button tops and some magnets. Probably actually four small magnets. They just aren't long enough otherwise.

Razako

When did you purchase yours? I just got a response from Podo, the main Sanwu guy on these forums, and he advised that "flat tops" are "preferred"... unless maybe they require some sort of spacer/contact assistance?

This is becoming more difficult than I thought. I'm just trying to find the best batteries :(
If Podo himself recommends flat tops then you should probably go with them. They may have changed the design since I got mine. Mine had the problem Crazlaser had. I actually needed to modify the tailcap contact with solder in order to make proper contact, in addition to using button tops.

Last edited:
If Podo himself recommends flat tops then you should probably go with them. They may have changed the design since I got mine. Mine had the problem Crazlaser had. I actually needed to modify the tailcap contact with solder in order to make proper contact, in addition to using button tops.

That doesn't sound like fun at all.

So, you think I should go with flat tops even though it will probably require magents and all sorts of modifications?

Any suggestions? I'm looking into Orbtronics which are basically Panasonics.

Email podo. Link him the batteries you're considering. See if he says they'll work.

BobMc

I think what Sanwu's trying to say is protected flat tops are longer than unprotected flat tops. I use both in mine, flat tops unprotected with magnets and button tops unprotected with fewer magnets. As far as I know the protection circuit stops the output when the battery voyage gets to low, (which puts more strain on the diodes.) So your ok with either just watch the charge in your batteries that they don't get to low.

Last edited:
How does it put more strain on the diodes? I'm both confused and interested.

BobMc

How does it put more strain on the diodes? I'm both confused and interested.

As far as I know laser diodes are like transistors ( active components not passive ) when you underdrive them they create more heat which in turn cuts the their life expectancy down, or in other words strain the component. Could be wrong, somebody correct me if I am. :thinking: edit~~~~ you know thinking about this, it just might be the driver that gets undriven??? Curious, have to check on this ???

Last edited:

BobMc

I ordered a Sanwu Silver 3W and they do not include batteries.
Their site, https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/silver says.......

Double protected Flat top 2*18650 / 2*18350(not included)

Does it have to be flat top? I want to use 18650's but I don't know which brand.
Orbtronic has a ton of choices on Amazon...

What is "double" protected mean anyways? I know they have 'circuits' that protect them....

Thanks. Cheers.

:angel:

See your new to the forum and welcome also, :)
Forgot to mention that's one heck of a powerful laser you got coming. You do have safety glasses for that wavelength correct?? You will need them, that much power you or someone else can lose an eye real quick. Sanwu are an excellent quality unit enjoy that guy, but above all be safe! :)

Last edited:
BobMc, thank you. :)
Yes, my only experience with them is green lasers. <20mw
But, it's exciting to get into this

See your new to the forum and welcome also, :)
Forgot to mention that's one heck of a powerful laser you got coming. You do have safety glasses for that wavelength correct?? You will need them, that much power you or someone else can lose an eye real quick. Sanwu are an excellent quality unit enjoy that guy, but above all be safe! :)

They have included two pair with my order complimentary because there was a discrepancy during ordering. But nevermind that..

I would say that just by everything I've seen/read so far, Sanwu is an excellent source for laser everything. But, I'm guessing their eyewear is probably not the best???

Someone suggested Eagle. Unless, of course, Sanwu's eyewear will suffice..... HMM

(I still need to figure out my battery situation... If I go with regular button top or flat, will I need to 'rig' it?) I am afraid of using magnets or solder and messing it up or shorting it/explosion.)

Last edited:
As far as I know laser diodes are like transistors ( active components not passive ) when you underdrive them they create more heat which in turn cuts the their life expectancy down, or in other words strain the component. Could be wrong, somebody correct me if I am. :thinking: edit~~~~ you know thinking about this, it just might be the driver that gets undriven??? Curious, have to check on this ???
Oh, I would think underdriving would be totally okay. Less current, less heat, longer life.
But I see what you mean.

Last edited:

BobMc

BobMc, thank you. :)
Yes, my only experience with them is green lasers. <20mw
But, it's exciting to get into this

They have included two pair with my order complimentary because there was a discrepancy during ordering. But nevermind that..

I would say that just by everything I've seen/read so far, Sanwu is an excellent source for laser everything. But, I'm guessing their eyewear is probably not the best???

Someone suggested Eagle. Unless, of course, Sanwu's eyewear will suffice..... HMM

(I still need to figure out my battery situation... If I go with regular button top or flat, will I need to 'rig' it?) I am afraid of using magnets or solder and messing it up or shorting it/explosion.)

I can't speak on Sanwu's glasses ( no hands on experience ) I'm guessing they should be ok because Sanwu is a company of good repute. Eagles are one of the best, higher the "od" number the better.

Back to the batteries, can only give you my personal experience with Sanwu's lasers. I have one 5 watt Silver, have always used battery magnets next the the switch/button ( put the batteries in and than add the magnets) have never had a problem. So that's all I can say, someone else might be able to add something else though??

BobMc

Oh, I would think underdriving would be totally okay. Less current, less heat, longer life.
But I see what you mean.

It was years ago when I learned the difference between active and passive components, as far as I remember all active components need to be run at the stated inputs or they risk being stressed. But that was years ago, sooo??

Last edited: