Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sale Thread: New Inexpensive 18650/cr123a Host Kit - $25 Shipped!

where do you get those little blue caps in 10mF... stupid place around here only has pF rated caps that small...only other alternative is to go those big bulky electrolyc caps which are not easy to squeeze into a DIY build.

anselm

I just pull them from busted PC PSUs.
Theres always plenty of those for free from your friendly neighborhood PC repair shop.

rhd

Ya, but for 25 cents, it's hardly worth the time of disassembling a PSU. Unless you're really lucky in your local electronics parts options, you're probably going to have to order the 1085s anyway, so it's not like there are additional shipping costs to add to that 25 cents :)

Helios

I'll be making some more kits soon. Glad you like yours!

I can't make anymore just like these until I get the parts to fix my mill.

Hey I would like to put an 12x 405 in this bad boy. What driver and mA would you recommend baring in mind the super duper heatsink?

Helios

Hey I would like to put an 12x 405 in this bad boy. What driver and mA would you recommend baring in mind the super duper heatsink?

500mA seems like a good setting in my eyes. Should give you somewhere between 600-750mW. It'll be hot but the host will wick it away no problem. Check out the mW vs mA chart for the 12x diodes in the 405nm subforum.

Helios

So could I use a groove driver as their max is 500mA?

I cant remember if the groove can supply enough voltage or if its designed for reds. Im sure someone else will chime in. Alternatively check out rhd's thread about the led driver he has been using. Its CHEAP like a few dollars shipped and he used it successfully with a 12x.

I'm running a 12x in one of my Helios hosts with a V5 set at 550mA & I get about 700mw with a 405-G-1 lens. Daguin can verify this claim in fact because I just measured it while picking up my modded S3 Arctic from him & I borrowed his LPM :D

I also haven't timed any duty cycles yet because I built this just before leaving for California and I don't have a battery charger with me (using my 18650 sparingly) but I've had mine on for up to 2 minutes before any noticeable heat :beer:

Last edited:

anselm

So could I use a groove driver as their max is 500mA?
I suppose you could, that is if you can fit two LiIons in series into that laser...
The groove is a linear driver like for example jibs driver or any LM317 based, isn't it?

jibs drivers are 1117 based LDO regulator. I believe it should have a MAX drop out of 1.5V...less at lower currents or something. for blu-ray its fine, for 445 its ok too. but for reds, being a linear regulator, two cells would = an excess of 4.5V or so, at 500mA thats over 2W of heat. im sure thats ok for this host. the groove is based off the same 1117 chip as well. I personally like to keep the voltage as close to the required as possible. two 3V batteries would be best. since their max charge would be 3.3... i believe Li-MnO2 cells are like that. Im not sure where you guys are located, but Fry's Electronics in my town has them for sale, as well as chargers. 2 rcr123 Li-MnO2 cells + 3v charger for 15 bucks. thats probably the best choice for reds....like i said you could use regular li-ions and Helios's host does have incredible driver heatsinking so its probably not that important, but im just presenting an alternative.