Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

S-KY 150mW 473nm Blue DPSS laser

drlava

A lot of people have been waiting for this, here is a review of a 150mW rated S-KY blue dpss laser.

Review in PDF form here

This laser was good in some areas, weaker in others but in the right conditions performed very well. The thing is, those 'right conditions' may not exist inside your common laser projector! Read on for more detail and to see some totally different test methodologies. This is more than your typical 'I got it and wowsa it was bright and keeps working' review.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Fantastic review [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Maybe not so interesting for laser pointer people who just want to burn things, but that was a very 'laser scanner' orientated review. Very interesting.

I was surprised at the stability of that thing. It seemed to be pretty crazy. And with the modulation too, pretty crazy. I know blues are less stable than greens, which are less stable again than straight diodes, but I would of thought a lab module would have the cooling to compensate for this. Hmm.

So what's the price tag of this puppy? For those of us interesting in making our own RGB scanners ::)

Kenom

That was a very comprehensive review. The laser is probably way out of my budget.

DrLava ---

Super review. Perhaps SK-y should add a TEC to the design. My 473 from Extreamlasers has a TEC but it takes about 15 minutes to get stable. I've never graphed it however.
Your 180+ mW of Blue is impressive and the ms noise you graph would not be seen by most observers.

Mike

WOW! 150mW of blue?? what kind of IR diode is in that thing??

drlava

Kenom, the price quoted for this laser is 1,550 USD.

Mike, true the power fluctuations aren't usually noticed by the audience at all, it's the people that pay a grand and a half for a laser that notice them :)

mikeeey, the pump power of a laser of this caliber is about 10-20W 808nm.  That and the crystal rarity and difficulty in assembly and beefiness of the power supply are the reasons for the nice price!

drlava said:
Kenom, the price quoted for this laser is 1,550 USD.

Mike, true the power fluctuations aren't usually noticed by the audience at all, it's the people that pay a grand and a half for a laser that notice them :)

mikeeey, the pump power of a laser of this caliber is about 10-20W 808nm.  That and the crystal rarity and difficulty in assembly and beefiness of the power supply are the reasons for the nice price!
WOW!
I wonder how hot it gets...
I'd like to see the power of that IR diode by itself!