Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rural areas compared to city dwellers with lasers

GSS

Thx Lifetime, of all the things that would make it so hard to setup an leave out a mirror setup to enjoy isnt my lasers but my (yes) cat, as I live mostly in the 1 bedroom apartment. Like any cat this one is crazy for them just hearing the click or me just saying "click" puts her in psyco phase I actually feel horrible for her when she runs around looking for the dots, relentless. My neighbor takes her for 4 or 5 hours to play with her rescued sister to give me some time, but I have to put everything away when shes back. As for when I go to stay at the house its hard an a pain to transfer everything and I always seem to forget to bring something but mabey thats somehting I have to do. I can build at the apartment and play at the house. Also I really dont have any lasers with more than a 60 sec duty cycle im thinking thats an issue if I were to try photography. any recomends? and as always thx:)

Hi,
Well you have an open window when your cat goes to the sisters house for some hours.
60 sec duty cycle is more than enough time to set things up. start wit 2 mirrors adjust them click off, set up the 3rd one adjust from the 2nd one click off. You see by the time you have 4 or 5 mirrors set your ready for the epic beam shot. just when you set up the mirrors make a small diagram of the layout, so the next time with a different laser set up won't be that long. And you can add more mirrors to that diagram little by little. While the cat's away GSS will play LOL !!

Rich:)

Gabe

I was gonna suggest the same thing for ya GSS, get into photography! Even just bouncing the beam around the room with a few mirrors and some smoke can be a great time.

Hi astro,
wow down under it's an awesome place that you live. The sky at night must be full of stars and do you see many meteor showers.\? Hey take some night shots it's a beautifull country over there. Thank you mate that's great to hear from you

Hey yah Rich.
Yes beautiful sky here, we do see a few meteor showers.
Have a look <click>through the threads I've posted <click> on here, you'll see some of my images.
I'll be posting more soon.

:D

Last edited:
Hi Gabe,

yes i'm sure Gss can do this mirrors and smoke is a great effect with photo's and i the dark also. I'm sure he'lllhave a good time doing this to

@RB Astro,
i will check out some of your pics tonight when i get home from work Awesome and thanks again looking forward it. Pal..

GSS

Haha thats my new motivation when the cats away GSS will play:). My apartment isnt a very well lit unit I have no over lights in the living room and use table lamps plus im a smoker so as of now I dont have a fog machine but ive used a medical nubalizer to make a little fog the point being I can see beams pretty well at times so using a lower power pen is doable. For now il go to some hardware stores and remodeling places like Home Depot for mirrors and potential mirror stands etc. I guessing it would be cheaper for now than ordering online plus I can see whats in front of me. Gabe thx also I dont want to lose interest in this hobby. I have showed friends cell phone pics and they do always enjoy. This photography idea is really starting to grow on me and if I can take a pic that is a fraction of what the members are posting here im all good. Thx everyone again

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
Hey you don't need big mirrors 3x3 or4x4 is fine. Or see i there's a glass and mirror shop close buy to see if they can sell you scraps about that size or what they can offer you cheap.And you can make the stand out of cheap pieces of moulding like 1x1. Glad to see your getting into it fun and imaginative .

GSS

Hi Lifetime, the glass shop thing sounds right im going to have to look for some stores but im curious if I find those bathroom tile size mirror ones if they are the way to go I realize they are reflective but wondering about the thickness. I also like Harbor Freight tools like alot of members here and thats a good place for cheap plastic clamps. I guess alot of the fun will be in building. thx and always please feel free to give me ideas.......I am talking about the 4x4 tiles not the tiny 1in.

Last edited:
HiG,
4x4 are perfect size it will give you more room for adjustment.Thickness doesn't matter much it's a4x4 mirror. You can also glue some paint stirring sticks on the back and have them stick out of the bottom a little so the clamp holds that and not the mirror.

GSS

HiG,
4x4 are perfect size it will give you more room for adjustment.Thickness doesn't matter much it's a4x4 mirror. You can also glue some paint stirring sticks on the back and have them stick out of the bottom a little so the clamp holds that and not the mirror.

OK clamping the sticks gives alot more adjustment options I would think, my taste isnt in mirrored bathroom tiles but I assume they are true mirrors and will give the best reflection.........Again I always appreciate the help

Last edited:

Gabe

I would imagine FS mirrors to be the best, giving the cleanest reflection with no internal reflections and double beams. Is that what tiled bathroom tiles are like?

GSS

I would imagine FS mirrors to be the best, giving the cleanest reflection with no internal reflections and double beams. Is that what tiled bathroom tiles are like?
Hi Gabe an Lifetime I havent yet gone to look for any but exactly what im curious about, would the extra thickness of glass on a bathroom tile be an issue even if its a true mirror. I realize this part of the hobby is new to me and I would learn from trial an error but any help is always welcome.:thinking::)

Last edited:

Gabe

I don't think the extra weight would be an issue, just re fact that the beam would reflect off the front of the glass first, then the silvered coating behind the glass afterwards at a different point, giving multiple reflections... That's why I would go with front-surface mirrors if you can find them cheap. I thought I remembered seeing FS mirrors on O-like for cheap, but I can't check cuz their website is all screwy on my phone.

@Gabe,
Thanks for the info I myself will look into this tonight. I'll grab a few and see if there's any difference between the two. I've Benin using scrap pieces and the photos come out fine . But I'll try a few of o- like mirrors to check them out

GSS

Thats what FS mirrors stand for I was too embarrassed to ask and I was just going to do a search:eek: So are these FS mirrors made for optical use in general I assume. Im thinking the same from both of you that the extra glass might cause issues with a tile mirror. Lifetime if you can look at the O like ones it would be great. For now im just going to go and try to find regular mirrors from a stores scrap or what ever else is out there. Thx all:)

Gabe

Oh, sorry about that GSS, I sometimes forget not everyone uses the same terms for things, I know it's rude. But never be afraid to ask, though! Good luck finding some good mirrors
:)