Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RT 3W Hits the clouds

if you use a 3 element the power goes down drastically but you do get a better shaped beam.

I have a 3 Element on my 500mw 638, and while the beam is much narrower, the amount of splash is absolutely insane. Plus your losing a ton of power, and creating more heat around your diode, from all that back-splashed laser light that cant fit through the lens.

Both have their benefits and their problems.

You really gotta try all the lenses with these reds to see what pleases your eye the most.

You remedy that kind of power loss by spending a little more money on a much better grade of optics

Sweet, i don't have a laser that powerful... yet :eg:

you don't need a 3 watt to hit the clouds. I can do that any given night with my 60mw wicked greenie.

But it is pretty sweet to see the rectangular bar on the clouds!!

Michael.

I took that shot with the laser at 45 Deg. I could still see it hitting the clouds down to about 20 Deg, But that would have had the beam going over half the city. In humid conditions like it was this morning the beam is very visible from the side. Did'nt want any one banging on the door saying :wtf: are you doing?

I wonder how far away those clouds are. For the dot to be that visible and that large I'd say 500-1000 feet AGL.

Intellacast said the celling was 1000 feet at the time. Which works out to 1400 ft, give or take.

you don't need a 3 watt to hit the clouds. I can do that any given night with my 60mw wicked greenie.

But it is pretty sweet to see the rectangular bar on the clouds!!

Michael.

You certainly can. You can even do it with a 5mw laser. It all depends on how close to the ground the clouds are. It becomes more interesting when clouds are thousands of feet up.

In general, to this thread, I say, 'Meh..' I can clearly see my 2W 445 hitting a windowless grain mill 7 miles away.

I live immediately below Class B airspace or I would do something like this... looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics!

-c

Kap, you just keep being safe. I'd rep ya, but it wont let me again.

norbyx

I get to hit the clouds all the time... maybe living at 3300 ft helps a bit.... :)

Laik

The clouds are very high up where i live, they are rarely low.

Interesting.... I've never managed to see the dot of my 1.3W 445nm on a cloud while I can do it all the time with the 400mW 638nm (even if it's very unfocused). In fact that's my only laser that can hit clouds frequently! Go figure...

You think living under 3B airspace is bad, I live ON base. Pretty much screwed lol

Nice pics!