Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Round 2: Success

I got my 405 module from DTR in the mail today, and successfully got it installed in a 501b. Big thanks to Alaskan for loaning me a diode assembly and to DTR for the ease of getting all the arrangements squared away.

This time around insted of soldering the diode module wires to the wires from the host, I just removed the wires from the host and soldered the diode module wires right to the host connection. Was waaaay easier than messing with heat shrink and stuff.

Heres a photo of the first light
K0KefHph.jpg

Ill do some proper beamshots soon. You guys are right, despite its power its not very bright, but it is nice to have a 405 with a beam I can see. Will definitely handle with care.

Last edited:

BobMc

Congrats on your success! It’s always nice when a plan comes together. Enjoy your 405. That’s a great looking beam shot also. :gj:

+reps

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Looks good BK, nothing like a successful build to get you back into the swing of things after some setbacks! :yh:
:gj: +rep

Last edited:
And to think you would give it all up, I knew better, once a laser fanatic always a laser fanatic, you're in for life man. Enjoy and stay safe. :beer:

Encap

Finally at long last. a nice laser nothing broken or gone wrong. Congratulations.

DTR is a valuable resource --his complete modules w. driver and wires make for trouble free easy assembly

Be careful, don't let the lack of brightness fool you.

Enjoy it! :beer:

Last edited:
Great news and nice picture, I've been wondering when it would come in the mail, happy to see you beaming with 405 nm joy.

Wow, BK, that’s a beautiful beam shot! Congrats on getting back in the laser saddle. I hope that you’ll enjoy it for long time. Please Take Care.

-cd :D

Well, congratulations on a successful build, Blarg. Keep your duty cycles short as a 501B doesn't have much heat sink to handle the kind of heat that little diode puts out when over driven. It is a great diode to have as it puts out a nice slowly diverging beam that can be focused down to a very small point at close distances. Enjoy your new build. :D

Last edited:
Mine doesn't seem to get too hot, though I did get DTR to set the current to a more modest 500 mA than the 600-700 mA that they usually are set to. Its hard to focus with out googles since 405 does that thing where it always looks blurry. I used to know why.

Try focusing it on a black surface. At 500 mA you are putting out more than 800 mW of optical power. They aren't very forgiving little diodes.

I got my 405 module from DTR in the mail today, and successfully got it installed in a 501b. Big thanks to Alaskan for loaning me a diode assembly and to DTR for the ease of getting all the arrangements squared away.

That is nice gesture Chris

Great news and nice picture, I've been wondering when it would come in the mail, happy to see you beaming with 405 nm joy.

I may have something to offer you too.. PM in coming ;)

----
EDIT

what goes around comes around :D

Last edited:

This time around insted of soldering the diode module wires to the wires from the host, I just removed the wires from the host and soldered the diode module wires right to the host connection. Was waaaay easier than messing with heat shrink and stuff.

Heres a photo of the first light
K0KefHph.jpg

Ill do some proper beamshots soon. You guys are right, despite its power its not very bright, but it is nice to have a 405 with a beam I can see. Will definitely handle with care.

There you go...:gj:
As they say...
If you don't first succeed... Try..Try Again...:beer:

BTW.. 405 is near UV. I'd be careful to avoid any body
contact with that wavelength... Just to be safe.

Jerry

Last edited:
Stings like a hornet if you do get it on you for a moment too long. This is also a wavelength I wouldn’t look at the spot it makes, seems dim, fools us into thinking it’s OK when it’s very hazardous at a wavelength in the blue spectrum so close to UV. You may have seen the warnings about how high power blue can bleach the cones of your eyes, this is blue on steroids, even if dim.

Im being quite careful with it. If Im up close to the beam or dot Im keeping my safety glasses on. Even viewing from a distance Im making sure to limit my exposure.

With regards to potential heat buildup, would it be beneficial perhaps to put a small amount of thermal compound between the DTR module and the 501b heatsink to eliminate any potential airgaps? I have a tube of Arctic MX-4 which has good thermal transfer and is non electrically conductive.

Hi ,
Glad you made out ok this time buddy. What no lighter fluid this time? Hey and I brought marshmallows for nothing crap ��

Rich:)

:p

Adding heat sink compound beween the two might help, if the gap is very small and the layer of compound is extremely thin, if it is thick, it won't help much at all.