Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rite aid laser - Can this be brighter??

Lazers

Hey, I got this laser awhile ago at rite-aid. It's a pen / flashlight / laser. The laser is a LOT brighter than the dollar store ones. 5mw laser pointer. After using a wire stripper to pinch the head out, I noticed, no pot. All i see is this big fat head, 2 buttons, and a 510 resistor/capacitor connected to the laser button. Can this be mod brighter? Also, it runs off of 3 button cell batteries. 2 AA wont kill it correct?

I'd have pictures but I'm new...

daguin

Lazers said:
Hey, I got this laser awhile ago at rite-aid. It's a pen / flashlight / laser. The laser is a LOT brighter than the dollar store ones. 5mw laser pointer. After using a wire stripper to pinch the head out, I noticed, no pot. All i see is this big fat head, 2 buttons, and a 510 resistor/capacitor connected to the laser button. Can this be mod brighter? Also, it runs off of 3 button cell batteries. 2 AA wont kill it correct?

Read more. . . . question less . . . . . buy even less (until you've read more)

Peace,
dave

Lazers said:

I'd have pictures but I'm new...

in short - no

the diodes they use in them are junk and not worth bothering with. read up, learn lots and have fun :) (welcome to LPF)

If this is a red laser you are talking about, see this video to see how to modify it.

chido

I hope he doesn't get pissed off like the last dude who I linked that video to. ;D

Razako

Standard 5mw red lasers that you can buy in stores are useless for modding to get more output. They use extremely cheap diodes that you would be lucky to get 10mw from.

Rhith

styropyro said:
If this is a red laser you are talking about, see this video to see how to modify it.

;D First time I've seen that! But that method works perfectly! Sure it may cost a bit for the modifications but it's worth it in the end...

I forgot about that video -- Had to laugh again ;D Thanks.

Oh that thing that says 510 is a 51 ohm resistor. That diode chip is likely running at its maximum. I toasted 5 just to see what they will do ----- NOTHING MORE.

Mike

That video is awsome :D
Anyway, red lasers in general does not have a pot, so don't bother
I'm suggesting, build yourself a DIY red laser with a laser diode from 16x or more dvd burner
It's worth it

Just a side question;
Is it just in Croatia, or anywhere, I took apart couple of 5mW cheap pointers, but, there were no laser diodes,
just a little circuit board with a little red die emmitting light on top of it.
I can post some pictures if you want.

Eudaimonium said:
That video is awsome :D
Anyway, red lasers in general does not have a pot, so don't bother
I'm suggesting, build yourself a DIY red laser with a laser diode from 16x or more dvd burner
It's worth it

Just a side question;
Is it just in Croatia, or anywhere, I took apart couple of 5mW cheap pointers, but, there were no laser diodes,
just a little circuit board with a little red die emmitting light on top of it.
I can post some pictures if you want.

it's a laser diode, the chip is just planted onto the PCB instead of being in a can