Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB Laser not working properly

pnutsnz

Hi guys - just wondered if any body has encountered my problem..... Just recently I purchased an RGB Laser projector from the U.S. (2W). Upon arriving, I powered the unit up, but seems to have a slight problem - requiring service. The unit switches on okay, I have mains indicator light on, Menu screen powers up, and can read files from the SD card. Cooling fans run perfect. And I can see the X-Y mirrors at the output rotating as they should. The only problem that I have (and it is kinda of a biggie :), is the lasers don't switch on. Completely blank. But when I switch the unit off - I get a quick laser pulse at the output, then dark.
Anybody have this problem?. Any help would be great. I have to delve in for a board level service but thought I would check if this has been encountered before.

The seller did say the unit was going before it left the dispatch, and I 'saw' a video of it working. But upon arrival, not so much :)>

Cheers everybody,

Pete
New Zealand.

diachi

Does it have individual knobs on the back for the R, G and B channels to adjust brightness? Some pictures of the unit may be helpful, or at least a link to the product.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

pnutsnz

Safety interlock (key) may be turned off
Hi, and thanks for the reply. That is a good point. I had turned the safety lock on (Key switch) - but it may not be wired up inside. Will check that!. Thx

Who makes it?

I would have saed safety interlock, but the "quick pulse" bothers me. The safety interlock shouldn't allow the lasers to even pulse

Encap

Not much chance anyone can help you on LPF or elsewhere if you do not identify the unit by model, manufacturer, and provide pictures.

Consider contacting the seller if it is a used eBay type "used thing" purchase or the manufacturer and seller if not the same if it new and unused. and the problem can not be resolved remotely.

Return it if not fully functional and it is not your doing that it doesn't function properly/is broken or defective.

You say "The seller did say the unit was going before it left the dispatch, and I 'saw' a video of it working. "
The seller should resolve the problem or take the hit whether due to shipping or having shipped you a non-functional unit for whatever reasons.

Last edited:

pnutsnz

Safety interlock (key) may be turned off
Yes, a thought I initially had. But the safety interlock should 'lock' off all operation of the lasers - including after the unit is powered off. So thought maybe not?. Its a direction worth looking at. Cheers

pnutsnz

Not much chance anyone can help you on LPF or elsewhere if you do not identify the unit by model, manufacturer, and provide pictures.

Consider contacting the seller if it is a used eBay type "used thing" purchase or the manufacturer and seller if not the same if it new and unused. and the problem can not be resolved remotely.

Return it if not fully functional and it is not your doing that it doesn't function properly/is broken or defective.

You say "The seller did say the unit was going before it left the dispatch, and I 'saw' a video of it working. "
The seller should resolve the problem or take the hit whether due to shipping or having shipped you a non-functional unit for whatever reasons.
Sorry will upload photos of the unit asap.

Yep. have been in contact with him, and for the start we started with a hiss and a rage - but further into the problem, he stopped making contact. So thought I would see what was out there for a fix. Will try and make contact still.....

pnutsnz

Hello everyone, and thanks for the help thus far. Please find enclosed photos of the unit - and a link to a video of me testing it out. These were also sent to the seller for analysis. Thx!.
The images are of the unit opened up, as per the sellers request.Laser 1.JPGLaser 2.JPGLaser 3.JPGLaser 4.JPGLaser 5.JPGLaser 6.JPGLaser 7.JPGLaser 8.JPGLaser 9.JPGLaser 10.JPGLaser 1.JPGLaser 2.JPGLaser 3.JPGLaser 4.JPGLaser 5.JPGLaser 6.JPGLaser 7.JPGLaser 8.JPGLaser 9.JPGLaser 10.JPG

sorry to hear of this..
AND shipping two MORE times should a VERY last resort.
I remember a few projectors that made the 'flash' iirc it happened on start-up. VERY brief and imo no big deal--it could be a sign that the your lasers are ok.
Did you say it never worked for you?

Could there be a 'safety lock switch' that shuts everything down when the enclosure is opened?
It would be independent of the scan fail and the E-stop afaik.
Do you know it this kit is FDA Varianced??

Are there any power knobs for the RGB on the back? No dip switches. ?
Are you using software-- QS ? sry we have to ask these questions ..LPF has help for you..
Do the galvos 'twitch' on power-up>? (resetting)
sure looks like a great rig... we will respect your choice on the subject of who made it..Besides that does not matter.

be back with help.. diachi has built projectors. Give him a chance to see these pics. (good pics btw)

hak

Hey Pete,

First, I'd like to invite you to post this into Photonlexicon.com instead of LPF. LPF folks are more focused on laser pointers, whereas photonlexicon has a broader base of projector builders and laser professionals. (No insult to any LPF folks.)

The symptoms you describe (galvos moving but no lasing) indicate something faulty in either the interlock (as others have noted) or a problem with the file(s) you are trying to play off your show card or a problem with the little player card itself. The fact that the lasers flick on momentarily upon power-down is typical for most diode drivers although a laser projector with better safety mechanisms would have powered down those drivers previously.

If you have a way to test your laser with either DMX or ILDA control (e.g. using Quickshow and a DAC), that would help to identify if it is an interlock issue or an ILDA file format issue with the files on your SD card. Some of those ILDA file readers only read older versions of the ILDA file format, so that would match up with your symptoms. There are a few experts on this topic available on Photonlexicon. If it still doesn't lase with other control options, it is likely either your laser's controller card (the one with the LCD panel) or an issue with the interlock. You should be able to short the two lines going to the keylock to see if that helps. (You can test the wiring and lock with an ohm meter.) I'd also triple check to make sure you've done everything regarding the LCD controller that it indicates in the instructions (if any).

There are local Kiwis that may be able to help if none of this turns out to be the issue. Good luck with your debugging.

-David

pnutsnz

Hey Pete,

First, I'd like to invite you to post this into Photonlexicon.com instead of LPF. LPF folks are more focused on laser pointers, whereas photonlexicon has a broader base of projector builders and laser professionals. (No insult to any LPF folks.)

The symptoms you describe (galvos moving but no lasing) indicate something faulty in either the interlock (as others have noted) or a problem with the file(s) you are trying to play off your show card or a problem with the little player card itself. The fact that the lasers flick on momentarily upon power-down is typical for most diode drivers although a laser projector with better safety mechanisms would have powered down those drivers previously.

If you have a way to test your laser with either DMX or ILDA control (e.g. using Quickshow and a DAC), that would help to identify if it is an interlock issue or an ILDA file format issue with the files on your SD card. Some of those ILDA file readers only read older versions of the ILDA file format, so that would match up with your symptoms. There are a few experts on this topic available on Photonlexicon. If it still doesn't lase with other control options, it is likely either your laser's controller card (the one with the LCD panel) or an issue with the interlock. You should be able to short the two lines going to the keylock to see if that helps. (You can test the wiring and lock with an ohm meter.) I'd also triple check to make sure you've done everything regarding the LCD controller that it indicates in the instructions (if any).

There are local Kiwis that may be able to help if none of this turns out to be the issue. Good luck with your debugging.

-David
Gee David, thank you so much. You have been very helpful and detailed.
The thing that raised concern with me was at power up I expected some activity from the lasers at output, even to switch on to go to standby - but I might have that wrong?. Makes sense that the lasers don't work until being controlled perhaps.
At the bequest of the seller, he did inform me that the unit was initially setup for DMX control. I would love to try something with Quickshow or Beyond. but only ever have seen videos and websites due to the fact the software and Dongle are very expensive, and that on top of a decent laser puts the price too high. So anyway, I plugged in my DMX 512 controller, and set for channel 1. Had nothing at the output. So adjusted the addressing for channel 2-3-4, still nothing. But, I will shoot back and do that again to make sure.
I shall also check the safety interlock as mentioned. Although I did rule that out because of the quick flicker at shutdown. But one never knows :).
I shall do all this, and if still failing, I shall follow your other instructions.

Once again David, thanks so much! Pete, NZ

pnutsnz

I do not believe this :(. <LASER IS WORKING> When I plugged everything in for the test, I thought maybe the Key interlock switch operates back the front. What I had been doing is switching the key 'On' - then switching the rocker mains switch on after that. Turns out the key switch was already in the 'On' position, and I was switching it off each time!. Over here we have hard left for <OFF>, and hard right for <ON>. So I left the switch in the left position, switched the unit on, and voila! - I have lasers at the output. Could I have been any more dim ;).
Sorry guys to waste time, but she is all go now..... Thx. Pete

I'm glad to know you got it figured out, Pete. I suppose I figured you had already tried the interlock switch in both positions, especially if it isn't marked. I will look forward to some photos of your laser projector working in the future. :)

pnutsnz

I'm glad to know you got it figured out, Pete. I suppose I figured you had already tried the interlock switch in both positions, especially if it isn't marked. I will look forward to some photos of your laser projector working in the future. :)
Yes, thanks so much. Will put to through its paces. esp creating my own .ild files - which I have not done before. Any ideas with the best software to use?.
Again, thx a lot.