Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: SKYlasers PL650 1000mW

Pman

I'm with Blord on this one. I think the hazard potential is greater with the 5 sec. delay unless you boldly label it that it's there. At this point I don't have any units with a delay as most of us probably don't.
For me personally I would go to switch it on and be counting out 5 sec. in my head a bit edgy hoping it's going to come on (not that it wouldn't, it's just not like what I'm used to).
Of course the laser shouldn't be stored with batteries in it and in my opinion be locked up like all units with this kind of output.
Could go back and forth on this for sure. Part of the issue comes down to your household and who could potentially get their hands on it.
Love the red by the way! Blord is building me a 638 when the parts come in with the steel host you can see under his sig.
Nice to see so many pics. I really apreciate that from all of you out there.
:thanks:

Lol, you guy's take it too hard on the neg point of the 5 sec delay.
''it's all i read ^^''

It's just that i think all high powered lasers should have this. (all my high powered lasers have this, except for the custom builds)
A laser is personal, and if you can't handle it then that's your own problem a.k.a you didn't read up etc... (were talking high powered lasers here)

For that mather there are more scaryer things you can buy of the internet.
Someone owning a high powered lasers should never get one in his hand in the first place when he/she thinks it doesn't work. (that's why these lasers have key's in the first place) (and i'm even more afraid about people selling DIY lasers to unknown)
Same with gas lasers.. it takes a while to power up.
If they wanted full FDA requirements (sticker say's FDA approved), the 5 sec delay should be on it., it's not there for a high powered laser.
Even dpps handheld lasers have a delay on it (and even then it takes them to power up/warm up) (talking high powered ones once again)
Lasers that don't do that are not FDA approved, or are low powered, are not registrated.

Last edited:

DJNY

I'm with Blord on this one. I think the hazard potential is greater with the 5 sec. delay unless you boldly label it that it's there. At this point I don't have any units with a delay as most of us probably don't.
For me personally I would go to switch it on and be counting out 5 sec. in my head a bit edgy hoping it's going to come on (not that it wouldn't, it's just not like what I´m used to.

The lasers with built-in-delay I have/had, always had a light signal showing that the laser is at ON mode. For my Nova Alpha f.e. when I press the On button, a red light above the ON button shows me that it´s powered up. When the beam doesn´t come out after >5sec, I know that I forgot to turn the rotary lens cover :beer:

The lasers with built-in-delay I have/had, always had a light signal showing that the laser is at ON mode. For my Nova Alpha f.e. when I press the On button, a red light above the ON button shows me that it´s powered up. When the beam doesn´t come out after >5sec, I know that I forgot to turn the rotary lens cover :beer:

Yes! same thing.... thanks for this :beer:
What's the purpose in this host when the laser and led turn on the same time :confused: with a FDA sticker on it being 1000mW
It would be more scary for people that do know the requirements of the fda, turning it on and it shoots right away.

thnx DJNY.. for keeping it simple ^^ as it is.

Hey, even if this sticker is there for customs sake, i can understand...... but...these are not toy's and i feel sorry for those that just want one for the 10 sec joy untill they blind themselfs with or without delay's , reading up basic laser basics.

Remember i'm doing this review for you people, and just pointing out the things that matter. non biached

Last edited:

Pman

Like the idea of the light indicator. Like the idea of a key and pin. Don't like the idea of people leaving these out where wandering hands can get ahold of them. Just have read too many posts where people don't buy/have glasses to start and purchase high powered units. Gives us all a bad name. I would "assume" that those above would know proper safety precautions. Just Personal preferance on the 5 sec. delay for me. Love the reviews guys!!! Always have great appreciation for all the work that goes into them. Thanks as always :thanks:

Coby

Nice review and very nice shots. Some day I'll get myself a fancy camera so I can also take these cool macro shots. What resolution are those shot at?

Also I might go for the HL650 if we do another groupbuy (PLs are so expensive :() because I still need a red colour lased for my collection :]

Pman

Couldn't agree more wiht the pics. Love the details! Keep them coming. GREATLY appreciate the time and effort as always:)

Nice review and very nice shots. Some day I'll get myself a fancy camera so I can also take these cool macro shots. What resolution are those shot at?

Also I might go for the HL650 if we do another groupbuy (PLs are so expensive :() because I still need a red colour lased for my collection :]

Hi there, I'm glad you like this review :) (also Pman ;) )

The pictures were original 4896×3672
I just have this camera new :)

The HL650 is amazing for it's price!
Would be even better if you set a beam expander on it.

Cheers, Sm.

Last edited:

Blord

You pictures convinced me. I am going to buy this laser from the new groupbuy. The 5X BE will fit on this host.