Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: Reke 500RGB (laserius projectorus-cheapus)

USPS says

I wonder if customs took it :(

Is there a reason they would?

How did you get that USPS information?

This is starting to piss me off as well:

I paid for DHL and they told me DHL couldn't handle it and that they upgraded me to EMS and I paid extra for the best tracking and all it shows is my package in China on the 1st.:yabbem:

How did you get such a good beam show video? Mine turned out super shite even though I filled my entire basement with throat choking fog and set off the smoke alarm.

I wonder if customs took it :(
While possible, I highly doubt it... I don't think projectors are really their target market for confiscation, they are REALLY hard to point at airplanes.
I have noticed often customs hangs on to my shit from China for like months sometimes for no good reason and there's never a charge or anything wrong with it and it hasn't even been opened when I get it eventually.

I paid for DHL and they told me DHL couldn't handle it and that they upgraded me to EMS and I paid extra for the best tracking and all it shows is my package in China on the 1st.:yabbem:

Other than the 5mW pointer law, no there is no reason and this is not a pointer so unless someone there got super creative......

EMS is a downgrade from DHL... Those guys are idiots. Usually EMS will get it to your door within a week of shipping... often their tracking sucks... Did you try tracking it on the USPS website as well as the EMS website?

My latest shipment from China was via boatmail and it took about 3.5 weeks to get here.

IDK

I tracked it and then emailed them

I paid for UPS, and they told my UPS customs would take it

Last edited:
WARNING: 500-RGB does not have ILDA!

I just received my RGB-500 (found here) and I have some bad news:

It does NOT have an ILDA connector

It does have some different laser stats from the website, at least on the labels:

attachment.php

100mW green, 200mW 638nm Red (probably this one), and some sort of Blue (probably 300-400mW).

I'm on the fence whether I want to ship this thing back. I am disappointed that it was misrepresented as having an ILDA connector. At the same time, the lasers are decent and at least supposedly above spec. I was also planning on building a soundcard DAC into the box directly along with the correction amp so having the ILDA connector and board might not be a huge loss.

Regardless, I'll definitely contact DD about this mislabeling and see if they'll make some amends. I'll power the thing on later once I figure out this damn DMX address thing.

Attachments

• 500-RGB.jpg
    500-RGB.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,085
Last edited:
Re: WARNING: 500-RGB does not have ILDA!

I just received my RGB-500 (found here) and I have some bad news:

It does NOT have an ILDA connector

It does have some different laser stats from the website, at least on the labels:

attachment.php

100mW green, 200mW 638nm Red (probably this one), and some sort of Blue (probably 300-400mW).

I'm on the fence whether I want to ship this thing back. I am disappointed that it was misrepresented as having an ILDA connector. At the same time, the lasers are decent and at least supposedly above spec. I was also planning on building a soundcard DAC into the box directly along with the correction amp so having the ILDA connector and board might not be a huge loss.

Regardless, I'll definitely contact DD about this mislabeling and see if they'll make some amends. I'll power the thing on later once I figure out this damn DMX address thing.

They did that to someone else too, I don't remember who..
He contacts DD customer service and they promised to send him an ILDA connector :p I don't remember what he got, if anything...

If you can wire your amp right into the bits than you should be fine... I am guessing that's OK but I have never tried it myself...

Once you get it on tell us more about how ti works...
Maybe post a few more pics when you have a chance....

What DMX problem are you having?

EDIT: The pic of that unit shows L-86 which is a unit made not by Reke but by Ruby...
This unit:
http://laser.china-direct-buy.com/v/4/product_detail/9660865/RGB-580MW.html

It shows that it doesn't have ILDA... Does your have that L-86 printed on the front? Reke doesn't even make anything with a similar model number.

Last edited:
Not sure how they'd get that ILDA connector to fit on that case...

Well, I'm trying to set it up so I can test the output. I think it has an auto mode and DMX input mode for specific patterns. Also an audio mode.

I'm still wondering if these lasers and the whole setup is worth keeping this thing. It is pretty well built and laid out and has some nice lasers in there like that 638nm laser. Still, I'm disappointed that the thing didn't come with what I expected, and I actually have most of the parts in this thing to make my own. Still, for the price ($270) it's a nifty piece of kit.

Not sure how they'd get that ILDA connector to fit on that case...

Well, I'm trying to set it up so I can test the output. I think it has an auto mode and DMX input mode for specific patterns. Also an audio mode.

I'm still wondering if these lasers and the whole setup is worth keeping this thing. It is pretty well built and laid out and has some nice lasers in there like that 638nm laser. Still, I'm disappointed that the thing didn't come with what I expected, and I actually have most of the parts in this thing to make my own. Still, for the price ($270) it's a nifty piece of kit.

I actually did some poking around... I will copy my edit here:

The pic of that unit on DD shows "L-86" which is a unit made not by Reke but by Ruby...
This unit:
RGB-580MW - L-8/L-86 - RUBY (China Manufacturer) - Products

It shows that it doesn't have ILDA... Does your have that L-86 printed on the front? Reke doesn't even make anything with a similar model number.

I don't think it was ever meant to have ILDA... Maybe they confuse this one with the 500RGB and that's why at least one other person I know of got one without ILDA.

If you set it to DMX mode you should be able to control it enough to LPM it assuming you have a DMX controller. If you are just trying to use it put it in sound activated mode and see if it's working...

You could part it out and make something better, or just put your ILDA controller inside the thing direct wired like you said and just have a usb port sticking out of it.

It's probably not worth paying another $60 or whatever to have it shipped back to them...

It Moved!

• Inbound Into Customs
  • Processed Through Sort Facility, November 15, 2011, 3:01 pm, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
  • Processed Through Sort Facility, November 04, 2011, 1:43 am, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
  • Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
  • Processed Through Sort Facility, October 31, 2011, 8:50 pm, SHENZHEN, CHINA PEOPLES REP
  • Acceptance, October 31, 2011, 7:09 pm, CHINA PEOPLES REP

EDIT: What the hell were they doing at ISC NY if it is only at customs now? Lets just make this a speedy ISC stop, USPS.

Last edited:
I actually did some poking around... I will copy my edit here:

The pic of that unit on DD shows "L-86" which is a unit made not by Reke but by Ruby...
This unit:
RGB-580MW - L-8/L-86 - RUBY (China Manufacturer) - Products

I don't think it was ever meant to have ILDA... Maybe they confuse this one with the 500RGB and that's why at least one other person I know of got one without ILDA.

If you set it to DMX mode you should be able to control it enough to LPM it assuming you have a DMX controller. If you are just trying to use it put it in sound activated mode and see if it's working...

I got it to work in auto mode. Looks pretty nice, though as expected, the red could be brighter. The red's beam also isn't as sharp as the others.

No DMX here unfortunately.

You could part it out and make something better, or just put your ILDA controller inside the thing direct wired like you said and just have a usb port sticking out of it.

It's probably not worth paying another $60 or whatever to have it shipped back to them...

Well I did know I was buying that other one, mostly because it had higher power specifications. The thing is, the title describing the Ruby brand laser projector specifies ILDA in it. They actually do have a more expensive Ruby projector at DD that I discovered later the specifications aread mentions ILDA.

I'm still going to bring it up with DD because it shouldn't show ILDA in the product title if it doesn't have it. That that was their mistake and if I do send it back I'll be working to get them to pay for return shipping or something to make up for it.

How did you get such a good beam show video? Mine turned out super shite even though I filled my entire basement with throat choking fog and set off the smoke alarm..

Ah ha.. that's strange.. I did it realy quickly with my old Lumix panasonic picture camera 640 x 480 no sound.

As well i worried about the smoke alarm.. i have two installed in my garage so i disconnected them for that test:beer:

I will post more video done with the 500RGB soon

That is nice to finally have picture of the RGB500.. but a little disapointing to know that it does not have the ILDA connector:(

Thanks for posting firtst pictures of it and let us know that it's made by Ruby

While waiting for mine to arrive, let se some pictures of my 500RGB... took iat my friend Eric's garage.. we used my little Radioshack fog machine:tinfoil:

Doc

Attachments

• DSC03594_800x600.jpg
    DSC03594_800x600.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC03601_800x600.jpg
    DSC03601_800x600.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC03602_800x600.jpg
    DSC03602_800x600.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC03609_800x600.jpg
    DSC03609_800x600.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC03631_800x600.jpg
    DSC03631_800x600.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC03646_800x600.jpg
    DSC03646_800x600.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC03627_800x600.jpg
    DSC03627_800x600.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC03636_800x600.jpg
    DSC03636_800x600.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 230
But... something that i still dont understand is WHY some version seem to have a chip with 10K labeled IC when i have 15K on myne... could i have the 15Kpps version of the RGB500 ??:whistle:

Also i noticed thet Galvo holder seem different.. mine seem really narrow and not as strong as the other shown... usually for better higher frequency response it really worth having a strong holder with natural resonant frequency really high.. it seem that 1/4" thick aluminum is not the best..

Doc

Attachments

• versoin compare_800x600.jpg
    versoin compare_800x600.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 347
I got it to work in auto mode. Looks pretty nice, though as expected, the red could be brighter. The red's beam also isn't as sharp as the others.

No DMX here unfortunately.

Well I did know I was buying that other one, mostly because it had higher power specifications. The thing is, the title describing the Ruby brand laser projector specifies ILDA in it. They actually do have a more expensive Ruby projector at DD that I discovered later the specifications aread mentions ILDA.

I'm still going to bring it up with DD because it shouldn't show ILDA in the product title if it doesn't have it. That that was their mistake and if I do send it back I'll be working to get them to pay for return shipping or something to make up for it.

Oh well at least it works... I saw it says it has ILDA but you may be fighting a loosing battle even trying to get compensation for the lack of an ILDA port from the Chinese... And I think hell will frreeze over before they pay return shipping.

Do bring it up though it's not right what they did.

Ah ha.. that's strange.. I did it realy quickly with my old Lumix panasonic picture camera 640 x 480 no sound.

As well i worried about the smoke alarm.. i have two installed in my garage so i disconnected them for that test:beer:

I will post more video done with the 500RGB soon

I usually just close the door to the bedroom and it doesn't mind but I had it open a crack that time and it was mad. I made my video with that same camera... I dunno why mine came out so crppy... Maybe it was the weird angle I had the camera pointing at the unit... How close wee you to it?

But... something that i still dont understand is WHY some version seem to have a chip with 10K labeled IC when i have 15K on myne... could i have the 15Kpps version of the RGB500 ??:whistle:

Also i noticed thet Galvo holder seem different.. mine seem really narrow and not as strong as the other shown... usually for better higher frequency response it really worth having a strong holder with natural resonant frequency really high.. it seem that 1/4" thick aluminum is not the best..

Doc

the Chinese are mysterious... God only knows why they do things... I have the 10 k scanners for sure cause once I go over 10k I start loosing detail.. I don't think the extra 5k would make a huge diff tho. And their pro ably all under spec.

EDIT I dunno if my mounts are that different than yours though.. I'll have to look at the full size pic later on..

Last edited:
Oh well at least it works... I saw it says it has ILDA but you may be fighting a loosing battle even trying to get compensation for the lack of an ILDA port from the Chinese... And I think hell will frreeze over before they pay return shipping.

Do bring it up though it's not right what they did.

Yeah, I'll have to see what they do, and perhaps see if I'll need to bring in Paypal too (who I hate, but we'll see).

I usually just close the door to the bedroom and it doesn't mind but I had it open a crack that time and it was mad. I made my video with that same camera... I dunno why mine came out so crppy... Maybe it was the weird angle I had the camera pointing at the unit... How close wee you to it?

Did you mess with the exposure of your camera? Sometimes that'll allow you to capture the visuals especially if seeing something like the background isn't so important. Doctorbass's camera might adjust better to bright lights like that.

How did you get such a good beam show video? Mine turned out super shite even though I filled my entire basement with throat choking fog and set off the smoke alarm.

While possible, I highly doubt it... I don't think projectors are really their target market for confiscation, they are REALLY hard to point at airplanes.
I have noticed often customs hangs on to my shit from China for like months sometimes for no good reason and there's never a charge or anything wrong with it and it hasn't even been opened when I get it eventually.

Other than the 5mW pointer law, no there is no reason and this is not a pointer so unless someone there got super creative......

EMS is a downgrade from DHL... Those guys are idiots. Usually EMS will get it to your door within a week of shipping... often their tracking sucks... Did you try tracking it on the USPS website as well as the EMS website?

My latest shipment from China was via boatmail and it took about 3.5 weeks to get here.

I clicked on the button that says receive proof of delivery yesterday and I got a reply dated today:

usps.jpg

I have been checking tracking every morning and I found this just now:

Processed Through Sort Facility November 15, 2011, 3:01 pm ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

Processed Through Sort Facility November 01, 2011, 8:43 pm SHENZHEN, CHINA PEOPLES REP

Acceptance November 01, 2011, 6:45 pm CHINA PEOPLES REP

And USPS wonders why they are going out of business!:crackup:

Anyone else ordering from Dino, don't let them pull that EMS shipping crap on you!!

I figure another week now and I'll have mine (If USPS doesn't lose it between here and SAN FRANCISCO) Mine took a boat ride and not an airplane:undecided:

Xer0

besides, anyone did some ILDA Testframes yet? my DAC ist still DADA so i cant...