Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review -- O-like OL 532-350 (<400 mW)

This is the O-like laser recently discussed as the waterproof <400 mW green portable here on LPF.
I received it today with simple tape and bubble wrap packaging with the tail cap removed and no fancy box. That's good news --- It arrived in good condition.
Since others have posted pictures of this laser, I won't bore you with more. The fit and finish is very good and I like the gun metal gray parkerized finish. It came with an unmarked 18650 cell and a tiny charger which I haven't tried. The focusing tool is as advertised and I will make a "finger proof" focusing ring soon but the adjustment is smooth. The tail cap includes double O ring seals and the threads are smooth fitting. The body will accept protected and non-protected cells easily. Nice....

As received in this "cool" weather here, it easily puts out 300 to 350 mW in what appears TEM00 - Clean dot. When I warmed it in my pocket, the power out was a bit different -- it is, like any other greenie, a bit temperature sensative.
Susie warns to not run this for over 60 seconds --- sorry Susie, I had to push it a bit to show the capability. 2 minutes in a cool environment seems OK but I'd limit the on time to 60 sec if it is in a warmer location.

So here is the "old school" graph.

4058-ol-532-350-laser.jpg

I have not tested this with IR filters yet but I don't expect much dangerous leakage since the design must utilize every bit of pump power to get this output. I will try to test IR later.

OOPS ----- The graph needs to be noted 10x scale -- thats 550 mW peak !!! Current draw off the cell is 2.17 Amps.

For Now---

HMike

OH -- I forgot to mention, it will pop and burn :)

Last edited:

Re: Review -- O-like OL 532-350

With the thread input about 18650 Cell testing from DrLava, I will be sorting my cells and retest. I doubt that I will see much difference in power out but it is a variable.

HMike

X FLY

Nice :) This seems to be a really good laser for 196$

If you could measure it with a IR filter, it would be cool.

Tell us if you find a way to make the focusing easier. It's a pain in the ass to focus this thing.

Tell us if you find a way to make the focusing easier. It's a pain in the ass to focus this thing.

Bend the legs of the tool 90 degrees, so that the head doesn't get in the way of the aperture. This way you can hold the tool in place, and adjust focus by rotating the body.

DTR

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see what it is putting out with the IR filter.:beer:

DTR -----
I haven't used my IR filters in a long time. I'm not sure I calibrated them correctly this time and I need to rethink my process. Filters are not 100% efficient.
Using my IR absorbing lens, I got two readings of 50 mW and 106 mW of IR at 490 mW of total output. The 106 reading seems high.
I am reading this at 1' laser to power head. I moved the head to 3' knowing that the IR is not focused and I don't see any difference in power.
As I said, I need to rethink this since these filters originally attached directly to my Andover LPM. I need to make a more stable mounting.

HMike

DTR

DTR -----
I haven't used my IR filters in a long time. I'm not sure I calibrated them correctly this time and I need to rethink my process. Filters are not 100% efficient.
Using my IR absorbing lens, I got two readings of 50 mW and 106 mW of IR at 490 mW of total output. The 106 reading seems high.
I am reading this at 1' laser to power head. I moved the head to 3' knowing that the IR is not focused and I don't see any difference in power.
As I said, I need to rethink this since these filters originally attached directly to my Andover LPM. I need to make a more stable mounting.

HMike

It's all good. Still sounds pretty impressive.:D

It probably was a handpicked unit for you by Suzie but still. Very nice.

Also I did notice that it takes almost the entire recommended duty cycle to get above 400 before IR. After you do the 60 second off and turn it back on does it get up to power a little quicker?

DTR -----

HMike

So does your filter only let IR through, or only let 532 through? Basically does your reading show 50-100 of green? or 490 minus 50-100 green = ~ 375 of pure green?

@DTR --- It has gotten chilly here and it takes a laser a minute to warm unless I keep it in my pocket. Once warmed, It does come up quickly.

@Aqu--- I have both style filters but I need to remember how they correlate as I haven't used them in over a year.

HMike

Cant you compare it with other green lasers in your possesiom so we may know the mw's?

Addendum to the above review relating to IR emissions:

Tonight, I used my IRC-30 IR Block filter (which ASIR I bought from Edmonds) to test the O-like laser. I first calibrated it with an 808 nM pen and read almost nothing when 190 mW is fed to it. Next, I shined a filtered 532 into the LPM and the power delta was 125/130 mW (with/without) = 96% effic.

The O-like 400 was powered up and some stability was found at 420 mW. The filter when inserted read 350 mW.
Math: 420 - 350 x 0.96 = 67.2 mW of IR while the total output was 420 mW at that moment. Tests are made at 12" between the laser and LPM sensor.

Remember that the IR is unfocused and the green beam is more likely to cause problems with safety than that diffused IR.

---------------------

ALSO: I made a simple focus ring which is not permanently affixed to the laser using a piece of plastic and 2 pressed pins spaced 0.570" apart.

4075-ol-532-350-2.jpg

Be safe ------

HMike

This laser was purchased from Susie at O-like. It is the one mentioned weeks ago as on special for ~$196.

HMike