Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review:: Ehgemus host (prototype)

cust11

I managed to aquire the first piece of Ehgemus's new/smaller o-like module host. It arrived in 1 day (We live 40 miles apart.. lol) and was packaged well. The host itself if very light! It feels really sturdy despite the weight. The tailcap threads are very smooth and of a tight tolerance. I have yet to put a module in it but it was dry fit with a 50mW module before it was sent my way. I tried to show its small size in these pictures. It is along side my jayrob chrome mini GGW build. Although the set-screw is exposed on the outside of the host, it does not distract you from the machine work. I am very impressed with the mounting of the switch. It was epoxyied into the tailcap and is very smooth.

Pros:
Price! Very affordable at $35 shipped.
tight tolerances (very nice threads)
lightweight yet solid feeling
perfect fit for a CR2/15266
one of a kind!

Cons:
Wasn't free...:whistle:
it was cheaper to mail vs me driving 35-40miles to pick it up (gogo economy)

I would change:
Mill a small line (maybe 3-4mm thickness) down the host so it does not roll when placed on a flat surface.

Would you purchase from Ehgemus again?:

Without a doubt! His machine work is a very high quality as well as attention to detail.

Final thoughts:

For $35 bucks I got a lightweight CR2 host for an o-like module that is only slightly bigger than a jayrob chrome mini/pocket mini.

(Excuse the bad photos. They were taken on a Motorola Evoke. The GF has the good camera in NC at the moment.)
(uploading and resizing now)

-Mike

2qc2zip.jpg

28whuzn.jpg

2dt82ly.jpg

2mrtvtv.jpg

jrz9xz.jpg

15hl5kg.jpg

Attachments

• Zfish 014.jpg
    Zfish 014.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

jeffd

Well i know what host i will be picking up now when i order a green module!

I ordered one for a 6x build. I'm excited also. I got mine with a smooth grip though, how do you like the grooved grip?

cust11

I ordered one for a 6x build. I'm excited also. I got mine with a smooth grip though, how do you like the grooved grip?

I have no complaints with the hand grips. There really wasn't a lot that I would change on the host. The price is too perfect.

-Mike

Nice host, Mike - What are the exact dimensiones compared to his "first-run" hosts (those were 1 1/16" dia and 5 3/8" long BTW) ? Also, my camera's in the van (which is in the damn shop again, grrr) but I'll send u a pic of a neat little item I found at our local True Value hardware, it's a small chrome snap-in plug that hides the grub-screw hole fairly nicely (although it doesn't fir perfectly flush) - a whopping $0.30, too!

Too bad you didn't know someone willing to sell you a 150mW module when they get here, hey?

cust11

Dale, the host is 5x7/8. very compact. Gee... I wish I knew someone with a 150mW..

-Mike

You may have the first of these host but I have one also. LOL

Also milling a line down the side can be done just let me know.

Anyway thanks for the review, very nicely done.

Ehgemus: If you're using the same size grub screws as you used in my hosts on the newer designs, PM me your address and i can send you a handful of those chrome plugs I was referring to above, see if you like them and if you do you could toss em in with the hosts ...

And Mike, you should hang onto that host for awhile and start saving for a Hercules, just a thought...

I just got mine today also. This thing is sweet! It is the same size as yours Mike, but I got mine with a smooth handle instead. I'm going to be using this for a 6x diode that daguin is working on for me. As soon as I get the money, I'm gonna buy another one for a green build. Here are the pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

EDIT: Since I'm using this with an aixiz module, the focus ring sticks out the front. In the future, I'll probably ask if he could also make a focusing ring that matches the host.

Last edited:

cust11

Very nice!! Ehgemus does really great work for a wonderful price. His shipping is lightning fast (that or I live 30miles from his place :p). I am just waiting on Brew to get his modules in so I can swipe one from him and have a sweet 150mW pocket green with superior heatsinking.

-Mike

Very nice!! Ehgemus does really great work for a wonderful price. His shipping is lightning fast (that or I live 30miles from his place :p). I am just waiting on Brew to get his modules in so I can swipe one from him and have a sweet 150mW pocket green with superior heatsinking.

-Mike

You mean those SXD modules? I want one! (Cue BMC)

Last edited:
LMAO ... Looks like I've been "cued" ....

The supplier I get the SXD modules through isn't actually a "supplier" of the modules, it's actually one of my suppliers for laser displays that I use in our shows and resell. My rep has a few "ins", so to speak, and when I order the displays she's pretty cool about hooking down a module or two for me as a bonus (but I've never gotten a straight answer regarding actually being able to order them, it's kinda weird).

They're really nice modules, but it's the "Forrest Gump Box of Chocolates" as I never know what the power is until I get them (I've gotten them as low as 82mW and as high as 173mW peak) ... The good news is that I already have enough to feed my own "Jones" so as I can get them, they'll be going up here for sale or trade...

I really like these new-style hosts - this is the first one I've seen set up for an Aixiz as versus the standard greenie, which brings things to a whole new level!

Now Bryce, please change your damn signature, this will be the third day I'm going to end up humming the "Max Powers" song until at least lunchtime! :)

Now Bryce, please change your damn signature, this will be the third day I'm going to end up humming the "Max Powers" song until at least lunchtime! :)

Oh the signature is staying! Well anyway, it looks like Mike has dibs on one, but if you get another 150+ SXD, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
I just got three more of these hosts in, I'll post a little review of them here instead of making a new thread (hope you don't mind Mike).

Ehgemus shipped these hosts on Monday, and I got them today (Wednesday, super fast!). I got a set of three matching hosts, one for an o-like module, and two for aixiz modules. Also in the pictures, is my first host I got from him.

Here are the pro's and cons of these new ones compared to the original one I got a little while ago.

Pro's:
-Price. $35 shipped is a great deal.
-Unpolished aluminum. IMO, it looks and feels much nicer than the polished one.
-This one is little longer and has more grooves in the front.
-No bevel on the tail cap, which means it looks more like one solid piece.
-I like the silver color button better.

Con's:
-Wasn't free
-The button sticks out past the end of the host.

This isn't really a con, but I didn't know that there wasn't going to be springs inside the tail caps. It doesn't really matter for the aixiz hosts, because I have to attach a spring to the drivers anyway. But for the o-like host, it matters a little because not all the o-like modules are the same length and some modules need to use a CR2 instead of a CR123a. However, I did ask him to make it to hold one 16340, and it does fit my 62.5mm module with a 16340, but I have to mount the module lower instead of flush against the top.

My plans for these hosts:
EDIT:
Since I just bought a 200mw RPL, I'll probably wait for a while on the green host. Maybe I'll wait till BMC has an extra module, lol
GGW 6x
BDR-S03 8x (if my diode works)
and LOC in the polished one

Here are some pics with the new unpolished matched set, and my original polished host:

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Last edited: