Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: CNI PGL-III-C 532nm (500mW Nominal)

Updated review

Hello there everyone.
It has been quite a while since I've been on the LPM forum and I think its time to do a little updating on my reviews , clean it up and lets see how does it hold out almost a year after I've purchased the laser.

No more wordy and length review. Lets let the video do the talking.

Last edited:

DJNY

Toughtrough review and you really put work into this, like it (+1)!

For the missing shutter shutter, it sucks! Would talk to CNI according this.
For the LPM reading, 99% of the time CNI inspection sheet readings are way under the pople LPM readings. Would check with different batts / temperatures and you may have access to another LPM..

Pman

Great and fair review. Have had plenty of my own issues with the same kind of things you mentioned here (although I own no CNI products). I think some of the output discrepancies may be that the reputable manufacturers do their testing under ideal conditions and with a good constant power supply. I have seen some very large jumps in output with voltage increases in my laserbtb (Sky) units.
+REP

More importantly, I want those spring rolls NOW!

Pete

Last edited:

gismo

Good personal review:)

The missing part is not a happy event at all, contacting the seller (CNI) is more than recommended.

Rep added!

Trevor

Something important to note about the LPM readings is the response time of the LaserBee 2.5W USB. Because the response to power changes is very slow, it might have covered up a peak at or above what CNI stated on the piece of paper. The power can often drop back down to a lower power before the LPM fully or even partially responds to a peak.

Especially with DPSS, you'd need to test on a fast LPM to get an idea of what the laser is doing.

Trevor

Great review! I'd plus one ya, but I'm in the spread rep penalty box :)

I've never read a single negative thing about CNI other tan price, so imma watch this closely to see how they handle your shutter issue.

Congrats!!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review EpicHam!
I've got to agree with you, the host could be updated, but it's a good solid design as is.
A real bummer about the missing shutter, especially when their own data sheet shows the shutter on the unit!
The 589nm's from the recent CNI G.B. all seem to have come with shutters.
Let us know if new batts., or a different LPM reading shows improved output results.
It would be nice to see at least as much as CNI got out of it.

A +1 for you. :)

Last edited:
Something important to note about the LPM readings is the response time of the LaserBee 2.5W USB. Because the response to power changes is very slow, it might have covered up a peak at or above what CNI stated on the piece of paper. The power can often drop back down to a lower power before the LPM fully or even partially responds to a peak.

Especially with DPSS, you'd need to test on a fast LPM to get an idea of what the laser is doing.

Trevor

Yeah, I guess thats something to keep in mind for DPSS lasers.
But then again , peak output for 100-200 cycles isn't really an "output" realistically speaking isn't it :crackup:

Great and fair review. Have had plenty of my own issues with the same kind of things you mentioned here (although I own no CNI products). I think some of the output discrepancies may be that the reputable manufacturers do their testing under ideal conditions and with a good constant power supply. I have seen some very large jumps in output with voltage increases in my laserbtb (Sky) units.
+REP

More importantly, I want those spring rolls NOW!

Pete

That IS true . Perhaps I should test the laser later when I get myself a PSU.

Great review! I'd plus one ya, but I'm in the spread rep penalty box :)

I've never read a single negative thing about CNI other tan price, so imma watch this closely to see how they handle your shutter issue.

Congrats!!

Will do matie!
Just wrote a little letter to CNI about the shutter problem..
Hopefully they'll help me sort it out without having me to send it all the way back .
Shipping Fedex is MIGHTY expensive

Aw man that's one ugly PGL-III-C! It looks like they ran out of the right parts for your shutter... doesn't look like the lens assembly is built the same as the others with yours :p

I look forward to seeing how they fix this as well.

Good pics though! Any... any... beamshots or anything?

Aw man that's one ugly PGL-III-C! It looks like they ran out of the right parts for your shutter... doesn't look like the lens assembly is built the same as the others with yours :p

I look forward to seeing how they fix this as well.

Good pics though! Any... any... beamshots or anything?

Ahhh... shucks.
I guess I got the lemon .....

As for the beamshot.

I tried mate.. I really did.
But the greenie keeps on attracting a crowd of people asking... "WOW THATS REALLY REALLY BRIGHT!!! Try aiming it at the pylon on the top of the mountain!"
*then the crowd goes.
OOOOOOOooooooooooh and AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaah

It was like a county laser fair

I will try to take one tomorrow eh?
A tad further from the crowd this time.
:beer:

The data sheet also says it runs on 2 C batteries. Can you review how they fit into the host aswell?

The data sheet also says it runs on 2 C batteries. Can you review how they fit into the host aswell?

Well. I would.
But the one I've ordered is the
PGL-III-C series and its designed for 18650 Li-ion batteries

The one that takes 2 C batteries is the
PGL-III .

So I can't really help on that one.
Sorry mate .

Isn't this the datasheet for your laser.

http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PGL-III_-C_-532.pdf

Indeed it is , but its the one on the right.
The one I ordered is
PGL-III-C ,which uses 18650 cells.

The one you are asking me to show you is
PGL-III , which runs on 2x C cells.

ctn5.png

In case I misunderstood you... are you asking me to show you if a PGL-III-C can fit 2 C cells?

Last edited:

Pman

This is personal preference but I don't really like the very plain look of the unit either. Don't like the look of any of my Sky HLs. Didn't think I would like the PL but love them in comparison to the HL hosts. Don't understand why the expensive units come with a cheapo plastic button while the pens come with a nicer weighted metal one either (seems so out of place compared to the rest of the unit).
Trevors comments on response time are REALLY important especially with 532nm! Can't imagine not having my Ophir. Keep my TEC LPM only as a back-up.

Last edited:
This is personal preference but I don't really like the very plain look of the unit either. Don't like the look of any of my Sky HLs. Didn't think I would like the PL but love them in comparison to the HL hosts. Don't understand why the expensive units come with a cheapo plastic button while the pens come with a nicer weighted metal one either (seems so out of place compared to the rest of the unit).
Trevors comments on response time are REALLY important especially with 532nm! Can't imagine not having my Ophir. Keep my TEC LPM only as a back-up.
The way I see it , CNI isn't really a company that's about making handheld/portable lasers.
We are more or less just a niche market.
Kind of like radios really. How many people actually would dish how hundreds of dollars for some pretty lights?

As for the Ophir head..... Ehhhhhh not sure why do we need such fast response time coz in the end , 100-200 cycles of max output doesn't really concern me since they look the same anyway :crackup:
Maybe for mode-locked lasers ,but does OPHIR even do pico-seconds??
Doh well , everyone has their needs and desire I guess.

NEVER try to use 2x CR123A cells on this, you´re right!!

Lol, ok ok. No 7.4V for the PGL