Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Revealing: The WolfFocus

Hey everyone.

So I recently got my hands on some taps and, after working out how to get it right, I managed to make a prototype of this new product (along with all of the other people who are more effective on a lathe than I am).

So what is it?

P1170046.JPG

P1170047.JPG

P1170048.JPG

It's a focus ring (should have been obvious from the title)!

What makes this focus ring different from all of those other people's? This one is designed specifically for the Aurora C6, considering the popularity of that host. It's threaded for an M9x0.5 lens thread and the ring grips the lens once it is screwed in all the way. Finally, it's knurled, something that isn't seen around here often due to the difficulty of acquiring a knurler. It makes for a lot easier focusing.

This prototype is probably going to go into my personal collection, but I will be selling others for a reasonable price, considering the time I put into these: $15 each.

So why am I writing this thread? I want to get a gist of how many I should be making at a time. For that reason, I'd like those of you who would be interested to voice that sentiment (as well as how many you would be interested in) so I can put you on the list and keep count.

Starting probably tomorrow or Friday, I will be going down to the machine shop to start making these in larger quantities.

Obviously, I am not taking payment now because I don't have the product yet. But voice your opinions and whether or not you would want one/some.

D

Deleted member 22482

Hey everyone.

So I recently got my hands on some taps and, after working out how to get it right, I managed to make a prototype of this new product (along with all of the other people who are more effective on a lathe than I am).

So what is it?

P1170046.JPG

P1170047.JPG

P1170048.JPG

It's a focus ring (should have been obvious from the title)!

What makes this focus ring different from all of those other people's? This one is designed specifically for the Aurora C6, considering the popularity of that host. It's threaded for an M9x0.5 lens thread and the ring grips the lens once it is screwed in all the way. Finally, it's knurled, something that isn't seen around here often due to the difficulty of acquiring a knurler. It makes for a lot easier focusing.

This prototype is probably going to go into my personal collection, but I will be selling others for a reasonable price, considering the time I put into these: $15 each.

So why am I writing this thread? I want to get a gist of how many I should be making at a time. For that reason, I'd like those of you who would be interested to voice that sentiment (as well as how many you would be interested in) so I can put you on the list and keep count.

Starting probably tomorrow or Friday, I will be going down to the machine shop to start making these in larger quantities.

Obviously, I am not taking payment now because I don't have the product yet. But voice your opinions and whether or not you would want one/some.

Try making them with a CNC machine, that'd make it a lot cheaper and I'd buy 2-3 pieces if they went for $4-7.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a CNC machine. Anyway, where's the fun in that? And as far as I know, no one on here makes focus adapters with a CNC.

rhd

Try making them with a CNC machine, that'd make it a lot cheaper and I'd buy 2-3 pieces if they went for $4-7.

I'm sure that if Wolfman had access to a CNC, he would have mentioned it. And he would be more popular than a (insert generic "foreign prostitute" joke here).

you also dont have to qoute the whole OP....

looks pretty cool good job wolfman :beer:

That said, I think I would drop the prospective price to $12 a piece, considering the price of Moh's focus adapters.

Those would look fine on black and gold pen lasers! -GH

You think? Even though it would be so much wider?

I think what Glenn is suggesting is a smaller version in place of the commonly used, cheap looking aixiz focus ring.

I would be in for three of those.

As for quantity to make, ask Jayrob, and Flamynpyro, I mean you would be competing with them, but I doubt they would steer you wrong, and since they both make custom knobs for c6 lasers... they could tell you whether it's worth it to make a bunch at once or just a dozen.

Hmm. I could do that. Just make fancier focus rings... yeah, and I will have some chrome pens I need them for in the future, anyway. We're looking at 12mm for your standard pen, right? Yeah - that's doable. May go make a prototype this afternoon.

This should probably be moved to general instead of sale since this is becoming more of an advice thread than a sale thread.

Hmm. I could do that. Just make fancier focus rings... yeah, and I will have some chrome pens I need them for in the future, anyway. We're looking at 12mm for your standard pen, right? Yeah - that's doable. May go make a prototype this afternoon.

This should probably be moved to general instead of sale since this is becoming more of an advice thread than a sale thread.

Yup, exactly what I meant.

The c6 hosts are great and popular, but I think you would be better off selling something more generic and applicable to a greater range... I hate seeing a nice custom laser topped off with the standard aixiz ring personally.

Those look great. I might eventually be up for a few of those.

My only issue with them, and this is an issue for all custom focus adapters, is the fact that you can't use clicky covers for dust caps. I have a bunch of Moh's focus adapters, but I never end up using them because I like to keep my lenses dust free. (or as much. I can)

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone.

I suppose I may make both of the varieties then. The 12.9mm type and the C6 type. I'll just start stocking up and selling ^_^

rhd

The one piece of advice I'll give you - is that you don't have to heed everyone's advice ;)

With an item like this, you're always going to get a lot of diverging input on design characteristics. If you take all of it in, you'll end up with a camel (a horse designed by committee).

With "non-custom" products like this, you're best off to find one variant that represents a decent middle-ground, so that you can find a way to get the price down by producing in *relative* quantity. I think a non-custom focus knob is best priced at $10 or under.

Then let people know that you'll make them custom knobs for say $15, etc. Anyone with specific requirements, can get those realized for a price, without killing your ability to be efficient for the masses.