Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Returning Banned Members

Should banned members be allowed to return?

• Total voters

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I can bet you they have. They probably use it a lot in their work. Any CIA agents who like lasers for a hobby? :whistle:

Last edited:
Thought I might quote this I read once.

https://www.google.com/amp/ask.metafilter.com/129208/Online-Author-Comparison/amp?client=safari

"This has been asked (but not really answered) previously:
I'm aware that it is possible to compare different samples of writing to assess whether they have the same or different authors. How would I go about doing this?

From the answers there:

- It's generally called "Stylometry" or sometimes "forensic linguistics"
- That thread will give you some more useful search terms
- there weren't any links to software that does it, but I wrote a quick explanation of how you might DIY:

---

I don't know any out of the box solutions, but I know a little bit about the theory. Back in undergrad, a group of us did a project on author fingerprinting for a CS class. The way we did it was to look at several features of the text. Off the top of my head, some of them were:

- punctuation use and frequency
- sentence length
- sentence std deviation
- word length
- word std deviation
- common word frequency (most common 100 or so words in english lang)
- trigram frequency
- type-token ratio (TTR), which is the ratio of different words to the total number of words used.

The only one that really needs explanation is trigram frequency. A trigram is defined as a set of three consecutive words. You parse your way through some text and store all trigrams in a big-ass data structure (or database), then calculate the frequency of each. The idea is that most authors have key phrases or methods of sentence construction that they'll reuse.

I remember that we ran these all through a training corpus of text from project Gutenberg, and then used some hill-climbing algorithms to find the proper weighting of each parameter. Unfortunately, I don't have that data anymore, so I can't tell you which metric was most informative. (though I seem to recall that trigrams were the way to go) If you're computationally-inclined, coding something up would be a fun little weekend project.
posted by chrisamiller at 8:16 AM on August 4, 2009"

Man... you don't log on for less than a day and all
He!! breaks loose....:whistle:
What did the Watch Guy do to get himself a time-out ?

Jerry

I gave him the ban to cool down, we did warm him to put people on ignore who he didn't get along with but kept picking fights with diachi etc.....

I decided a 1 dan ban would be able to give him time to see that LPF isn't the place to start arguments with members etc... and that we do mean what we say when we want people to enjoy their time here :yh:

-Alex

diachi

I gave him the ban to cool down, we did warm him to put people on ignore who he didn't get along with but kept picking fights with diachi etc.....

I decided a 1 dan ban would be able to give him time to see that LPF isn't the place to start arguments with members etc... and that we do mean what we say when we want people to enjoy their time here :yh:

-Alex

Thanks for the continued good work Hap! :)