Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Returning Banned Members

Should banned members be allowed to return?

• Total voters
No. (That's Spanish for "no")

A permanent ban is issued if the moderator team doesn't want to give the offender another chance. It is usually reserved for those who have already had several chances. If another chance was in order, it would be a temporary ban. Asking if permanent bans should be permanent is just a stupid question. Perhaps the question should be: should permanent bans ever be issued? I say leave it up to the moderators.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Using that logic, it makes sense them not coming back. :)

Really random. On google translate type in 'no' and translate it to spanish. Keep switching the language back and forth and you will end up with 'do not do it'. :D

What about implementing a janitor or "sub-moderator" type of system where trusted members (i.e. vets, users that have been active for a certain period of time, users that have a reputation above a certain level, etc.) are granted special privileges?

This has less to do with RBMs than it does trolls, but I think it is still relevant.

I think a system like this would work well:

Users with sub-mod privileges would be able to flag a post or user for moderator approval. While pending approval, the posts (or all posts by a certain user in the event that a user is flagged) would be hidden from the rest of the forum. If the post or user was deemed acceptable by a moderator, it would re-appear on the forum. If it was deemed unacceptable, it could be deleted.

Users that abused such privileges could have them revoked, and any damage a rogue sub-mod could create could be reverted within minutes. Users that showed that they could be trusted with said privileges could also possibly be upgraded to moderator, or be given privileges half-way between sub-mod and mod, though that may be unnecessary.

The only reason I am suggesting such a program is to discourage trolling (of which there has been an increase recently). I think that if a troll were to have their post removed before anyone could even reply, it would greatly reduce their willingness to expend effort doing so. I think our mods do a great job, but they are only human, and can only be on the forum performing moderator duty every so often. With lots of "mods" patrolling the forum, trolls would probably find something better to do.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
This would be good, could it be done that we can also remove spam posts. This could take some strain of the moderators and allow spam posts to be deleted quicker due to the likelihood of someone seeing it.

It is kind of annoying to always have to delete spam posts every day, but must keep the forum clean! :D

-Alex

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I can gather, thanks for doing it though. :) But the effort it takes just to report the spam, it would be nice to be able to just delete it for you. Then the moderators can deal with the serious stuff. :p

Hap took the fries out of his avatar and thought I wouldn't notice.

Rivem

Really just depends on the forum software (vBulletin). That would decide how reasonable such a system would be to implement. There tend to be moderation tiers though, so it should be doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
If moderation tiers are possible, then this would be good news. It was the only aspect of uncertainty surrounding the idea.