Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Retro laser!

Well I found a home for my first 445nm build in the form of an old power supply. This thing was thrown in the bin at work and I pulled it out, stripped the transformer, bridge and rheostat and made use of the switch and fuse holder. It had a 0.5A fuse in it which, unsurprisingly blew the first time I fired it up. I'm currently by-passing the fuse holder but it'd be cool to get a 1A fuse and keep it inline for protection, why not! I love the old fashioned hammer paint finish and cooling vents.

A130-retro.jpg

On a side note, I'm now getting a lot of side-splash which I think MIGHT be dust or something on the actual diode window... what do you guys use to clean them safely?

I don't know about cleaning diodes but I used a piece of soft leather to clean the plastic
lens on my laser pointer because it's the only thing I've found that won't scratch the CD
or DVD discs when you're trying to repair existing scratches.

To clean the window, use a microfiber cloth and some lens cleaner, that seems to be the best method.

Kevlar

Very nice!! I love how you "recycled" something to make a very cool, retro looking host. I like the older look. This makes me wonder if anyone has considered doing a steampunk type labby, I'd like to see that!!

Try to take a picture of the splash for us. If it is the diode window that's dirty there will just be a fog of blue around the dot.

kevin that sounds like what I'm seeing, I'll have a go at cleaning it and then take a picture if it's still bad.

Thanks Gryphon, photography is another hobby of mine and I've got a nice camera, so that helps. I struck a match to get a bit of smoke in the air and then wafted it around before taking a long exposure in a dim room, then lightened the whole image, just using levels in photoshop. No selective editing on ay individual colour channels and no selections either! I don't believe in cheating like that when you're trying to show something "as it really is".

Of course a lot of laser advertising you see around is edited, most of it BADLY! Some companies obviously just draw in a beam LOL

Update: sat down with a small bottle of lens cleaner and a micro-fiber cloth and cleaned the diode window and the lens. Bingo! Perfect, I'm so pleased. I have been stressing over my driver not pushing enough current but tonight I turned on my other lasers with a bit of smoke. WOAH!!! I had to back the 445 right back because it was overwhelming the other colours. I have no need for more power than this. I'm not interesting in burning holes in everything in sight, just producing beautiful beams!

Last edited:

suiraM

This makes me wonder if anyone has considered doing a steampunk type labby, I'd like to see that!!

I thought about a steampunk CD player in turntable style with a HeNe as the pickup, but I decided it would be too much work with my feeble machining skills. Gas lasers are definitely the way to go for steampunk, though, not diode lasers. That, or a solar powered DPSS or dye laser where the parts are clearly visible.

Isn't it insane what companies and schools throw out as old equipment? They're such classic looking enclosures and stuff. I've been collecting a lot of them over the years as best I can afford--and store--them. All that great stuff from Northrop and Leeds, big ol' fancy dials, black plastic and knobs.

Nice and classy looking laser there and I love that heavy-duty switch on top.

Trevor

I like what you did there.

I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm at the scrap yard for hosts like this.

-Trevor