Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

REO Ohmeda Raman Gas Analyzer

Tomorrow I'm going to make a big, comprehensive HeNe/Gas thread for myself with all of my current interesting gas units, as well as all future units and experimentation. Theory is that it'll be a good place to read on info, and get decent pics of some rarely seen wavelengths and lasers. Eventually this will be complimented with a better camera...Any ideas on the camera portion? I also have my new fog machine so some cool beamshots will be taken as well. Girls night out tomorrow so I have all the night to do this. Man time :D

Start a "Which Camera do you use?" thread. Some people here are pros.

@BP: Wow, very nice laser. Also glad to see I'm not the only one that takes pics with feet in them. :)

Iirc lower lines per millimeter will spread the beams more but produce less orders of beams.

You remembered backwards. More lines means more spread and fewer beams. 1000 lines/mm should be fine. They're like $2 shipped.

Awesome, Bloompyle. I've been eyeballing one of these for a long, long while now - wondering what they'd actually produce. Didn't Sam have one with some sort of mirror selector on them that would allow beam selection?

I'm just wondering how possible this would be, to make this into something tunable...

He does have one, yes, though nothing was mentioned of it being tunable. I know he harvested a prism from one that allows the passing and splitting of all the WLs. Grabbed it from him to split the lines on mine.

I will definitely ask him about it though. Would be nice to do that to this as well as my other REO 3 line (594/604/612). Seen it yet? Will definitely look into it.

Don't want to deal with cheap film gratings, because as stated earlier, they don't pass too much of the light..

Last edited:
@Aryntha:
Sam Goldwasser said:
>
I had several of these over the years:
Sam's Laser FAQ - Helium-Neon Lasers

Could be tuned between 633, 612, and sometimes 604 nm. But not Raman.

Get him to clarify.

Looks like the mistake was on my part. I believe this is actually a particle counter, not a gas analyzer. Will update if that is in fact the case.

Last edited:
God, I'm so jealous. Where do you get all of your money?! I wish I could afford all of the HeNes you have >.> I just have a single lonely 543nm and then a lame little 633nm =[

Really? All together? o.o Even the ones you bought from the other Sam? How do you manage to find such great deals?

Last edited:
Not all together, oh no no no

Other Sam? Uncle Sam? No lasers from him :p

Sometimes you get lucky on fleebay.

Other Sam because my name is Sam =p So he's always the other one. And that's less worrisome that each one is less than my PGL individually. That's still a lot of money though! D:

It IS pricey... Usually I work with him and make deposits per paycheck.

Either way, any questions on gas lasers, feel free to post here. Sig and I will try to answer them quickly.

To be honest, Sig knows more about the science on all other gas than I do. I know little about argon and HeCd and just about 0 on all other gas. My only gas focus is basically on HeNe.

Will have a ~20mW 633nm Uniphase 1145P to add here next month. I'm doing a bit more research on tunables before I dive into it, not something to play with without understanding. Sorry folks.

Too busy to research lately :cryyy:

Last edited:
A pic I just took after warm up.

5jka.jpg

A video of a cold startup after over a month of inactivity, up shortly.

I forgot that it was a soft seal, so its startup worried me for a minute... :( But it's all good now :D

Took a dark shot, so that you can see the 640 line. Yes, that VERY faded circle between the 650 and the clump.
c3p6.jpg

Same shot with some light. Some decent separation there.
kud3.jpg

Here I've got it going through a diffraction grating, then I took a good spread with some still decent output, passed it through a prism. Then took that spread, and passed it through a second prism. It was shining on my bed, at an angle. I took a blank strip of paper, and held it in the output. This is VERY faded, but you can see the 5 most prominent lines now, for the most part. My brain tricks me that the 640 is there, but good luck seeing it for yourself (and not hallucinating).
qbm4.jpg

The things I do in the name of science :rolleyes: My ghetto as hell setup. Ha. It works though. Biggest hurdle is that the tube is about 3in off the ground.

That's the laser, then a pair of diffraction glasses sitting on the laser's PSU. Then a spread is entering a large prism on top of a 9V battery. That spread is leading to a second, smaller prism. This prism is on 2 quarters, on a large mirror, on top of 2 other PSU's stacked. This is what I had to do to get that last shot for you. Enjoy, hope you get a kick out of it :crackup:
qc83.jpg

Last edited: