Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Register your drone

APEX1

They can and will tax what ever they want!

Last edited:

GSS

IE im still laughing at the fat ass cop thing, ive looked out the window an seen them jump into their cruisers just to check out a car 2 spaces down in the parking lot. Cowboy are you talking about the factory top speed goveners? Andrew124 thanks for pressing me into fighting the citation but its too late, the citaition was issued for the 2nd of Oct and they only give you 20 days to pay it or appeal it. I really thought I had at least 60 days as I believe I did mabey 15 years ago. I should of done it ASAP like you said and I trully believe you would of been right. Now its $105 instead of the $50 because I past 20 days. Members are right I believe the landlord does have a agreement with the Police as far as cruising the lot but I thought it was more of a parking sticker for the building check. Thx everyone:)

Last edited:
Yes, right now cars being produced have a top speed limiter that is set based on the tires speed rating that the car is factory equipped with.

Later that may change to a government mandated limit.

Here's a tire letter chart.

Rating Tire - Tire Speed Rating

GSS

Yes, right now cars being produced have a top speed limiter that is set based on the tires speed rating that the car is factory equipped with.

Later that may change to a government mandated limit.

Here's a tire letter chart.

Rating Tire - Tire Speed Rating
But officer my tires are rated at "Y" thats why I was doing 185:whistle: I wonder how long at their rated speed do these tires need to be classified

Last edited:
I suppose this top speed limiter is disabled in all police vehicles so that no one can outrun them. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so no one could exceed the speed limit, but then if they did that it would cut into the revenue of every city and state. They would have to make up for that loss of income somehow.

Alan

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I suppose this top speed limiter is disabled in all police vehicles so that no one can outrun them. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so no one could exceed the speed limit, but then if they did that it would cut into the revenue of every city and state. They would have to make up for that loss of income somehow.

Alan
Yeah agreed, why buy a vette if you cant go faster than 65 mph, yes you can bring them to a track for organized lap runs but if you practice safety on the street once in a while seeing what your car can do is your privlage. Im guessing that 1 out of 1000 corvette buyers might bring it to a track. How fast would auto makers go bankrupt if 65 was the limit. All honesty I dont blame a cop for opening up a police intercepter, come on they basicly have a liscense to do so but those days are coming to end also because of that black box " thing". Pi if 65mph cutoffs did come into effect how do you think they would ticket for revenue? Going to "slow"

Yeah agreed, why buy a vette if you cant go faster than 65 mph, yes you can bring them to a track for organized lap runs but if you practice safety on the street once in a while seeing what your car can do is your privlage. Im guessing that 1 out of 1000 corvette buyers might bring it to a track. How fast would auto makers go bankrupt if 65 was the limit. All honesty I dont blame a cop for opening up a police intercepter, come on they basicly have a liscense to do so but those days are coming to end also because of that black box " thing". Pi if 65mph cutoffs did come into effect how do you think they would ticket for revenue? Going to "slow"

I expect there would be several things to make up for the loss, maybe an increase in vehicle license fees as well as the cost to renew your drivers license, an increase in gas tax, and maybe sales tax too.

Alan

Teej

Most people get the car based on image. If they feel that they are practical, etc, they get a volvo/corolla or whatever that fits the self image.

If they feel they are sportier, they get a sportier car, or a more luxurious car, etc.

So, most jeeps don't go off road, most vettes don't ever see a track, and so forth. They're bought more typically because the cars CAN do those things, not because they're going to.

:D

As far as speed limits, for most real world use, its how fast it can GET to the "speed limit" and not the top speed that is useful. The speed limit is in quotes, because most people go as fast as they think its safe to, regardless of the legal limit.

So, acceleration is more important than top end in use, but, top speed is what sells more often.

BTW - If you recalibrate the speedometer to say you have smaller diameter tires, or, leave it alone, but mount larger diameter tires, or re-gear your diffs, you can easily exceed the actual governor limit speed....by a lot.

:eg:

Obviously, if your tires are not speed rated to handle that, they should be upgraded as well, in addition to stopping ability, handling/suspension, etc...as proportional to what you are actually doing.

GSS

There a a few exceptions, I not sure if its mandatory but buying a new Porshe 911 series its "somewhat" required to take some track courses as these rear engine models are basicly steered through the corners with the throttle. That design has been around for decades but still does the job but its not for the normal experienced driver. Also the newest ZR-1 corvette is basicly a track car for the street so while waiting for your order they highly recommend you go to the General Motors proving ground to take some laps. Again I dont mean its mandatory but highly recommended. I believe a Jeep may be a status thing or more for living where it snows but when it comes to Viper, Vette, or anyother supercar its bought to be driven. If someone bought a viper for show they would get very tired driving that car around town. This is just my opinion

I suppose this top speed limiter is disabled in all police vehicles so that no one can outrun them.

Actually most cop cars do have a speed limiter as well, it's just set higher. Usually at least 120mph. At least I can tell you form experience I had no trouble hitting 120mph (closed road) on my 2003 crown vic.

GSS

Actually most cop cars do have a speed limiter as well, it's just set higher. Usually at least 120mph. At least I can tell you form experience I had no trouble hitting 120mph (closed road) on my 2003 crown vic.
I remember now you mentioning that crown vic, did you stop at 120 or did the speed limiter cut in?

The other avenue that is already perfected is the HERF guns, that is high energy radio frequency, but they fry the cars electronics and the engine stops, now that steering is becoming by wire the HERF guns can't really be used on certain new cars.

@Cowboy I know that you have quite the lab setup in that GA underground bunker of yours lol. How would you like to build your own HERF/EMP device. If you think I am kidding, I'm not. There is even one available based upon a 10 stage Marx generator built with ten 10nf per stage providing 1nf of capacitance.

How about 400 to 1200 joules?

emp400.jpg

emp400-2.jpg

A home Marx generator is fun just by itself:

marx-animation.gif

And if anybody wants to compete with DARPA, the company can build one of these for you so you can generate your own lightning:

supermarx.jpg

Of course no home should be without one of these. They are great for the ultimate security in terms of wiping out data on hard drives:

btc70.jpg

If anyone really wants to build any of these, PM me. Christmas is coming. I do need to know you are of legal age. :san:

I remember now you mentioning that crown vic, did you stop at 120 or did the speed limiter cut in?

I didn't try going past ~130... didn't feel comfortable pushing it beyond that point. They are supposed to be limited to 128mph, not sure if mine was or not.

IE im still laughing at the fat ass cop thing, ive looked out the window an seen them jump into their cruisers just to check out a car 2 spaces down in the parking lot. Cowboy are you talking about the factory top speed goveners? Andrew124 thanks for pressing me into fighting the citation but its too late, the citaition was issued for the 2nd of Oct and they only give you 20 days to pay it or appeal it. I really thought I had at least 60 days as I believe I did mabey 15 years ago. I should of done it ASAP like you said and I trully believe you would of been right. Now its $105 instead of the $50 because I past 20 days. Members are right I believe the landlord does have a agreement with the Police as far as cruising the lot but I thought it was more of a parking sticker for the building check. Thx everyone:)

I am sorry that you did not get a chance to go to court. I think there are some things you can do to deal with the points and insurance increase. I don't know who your carrier is, but Geico gives you some credit for taking one of those safe driver tests.

Then there is this. I am assuming your driving record is otherwise good. You might speak with the department of your insurance company that assigns risk and see if they might reconsider. Since we are speaking of a technical moving violation, that is to say that your failure to have the vehicle inspected is really not like going through a red light or a stop sign, you might be able to call around and see if another insurance company might give you a better deal. While the points are there, the companies know that what transpired was a technical violation that what happened does not make you a bad driver and thereby increasing an insurance companies risk of a payout. Your company is depending upon the fact that looking for another company take time. However, another company, realizing you pose no increased risk, might be happy to take your business. You know how companies are about money: :drool:

IE im still laughing at the fat ass cop thing, ive looked out the window an seen them jump into their cruisers just to check out a car 2 spaces down in the parking lot.

I forgot to mention that in Virginia, they have personal property tax on your car. It used to be pretty high. It is not so bad now. However, you have to have a county sticker in order to park. The cruisers go around from parking lot to parking lot looking for missing stickers.

In MD, they don't have PPT. However, they have rape and pillage private toying. If your registration or inspection is out of date you get hit twice. First you might get towed by the private folks the apartment complex hires. Then, you get fined by your local constabulary!

The private company that works in my complex is staffed by retired or off duty Montgomery County police. The towing company has the same video surveilance plate sniffing cameras that the state police have...you know, the cameras on the trunk both left and right.

That said, I do have to say that I really like the Montgomery County Police. For the most part, they don't nickel and dime you...really....I have never seen anything like this. Just recently I was really tired and went through a blinking red light which is realy dangerous. The officer said, when I run your license, I am not going to find a lot of moving violations. I told him that he wouldn't. He just told me to be careful. They actually save their energy for real crime...something interesting and unusual!

In Fairfax Virginia, they will lock you up for looking funny!

Reactions: GSS
What if I build a drone?

Also whats the logistics on an American car with OnStar in Canada? Can the USA track me? Can Canada track me? Should I wrap my car in tinfoil until I find the OnStar module?