Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red Gball coming soon

My heart lands in the 70's....Sigh.....Passed that exit on the Freeway...a long time ago !!....The music...was...perfect !! Whatever !!

Wait... Step into the Time Machine Boyz....in 2058....you 20 something's....will
be....er...65...IF we don't blow up or SH$T up the planet b4 then !!!..Enjoy the ride !! But...Someday.....you will be..." Tyrannosaurus Dex "...just like us....HAHAHA

On the G Ball saga....OK..." On the Jump " ...Jordan !! :D:D:D

Beam Out

Last edited:

jors

It seems this divergence is measured after Gball lens. Otherwise have no sense for me.
It could be great to know divergence before Gball to compare with G84.
I purchased one G84 (dual beam) direct from mitsu to test, and divergence from each beam is worse than even NUBM44.
So maybe for pointer or some kind of red ‘cannon’, or lumia...but not for laser projector, even if it was single beam.
Also it must be very well cooled otherwise power drops very fast, even not possible to reach its max. Have the G84 new here if anyone is interested.

I appreciate your input, jors. I had a feeling about these "new" diodes that the divergence would be awful, but until you test one, it is considered just speculation. I am not holding my breath that we will get a direct 638nm diode with greater output at less divergence.

Thanx Jordi for the facts. Well...I think we are still stuck with the Mitsu /Oclarro ....pushed to 1W Red. Seems Odd....as we have had such technology leaps in Blue and Green....but....likely still not Red.

I thought the Red-Oclarro 63193 was hard to tame...did it....then....I thought the Blue-NUBM044 was even harder to tame....did that too.

Other than wasting my time in the speculation in this thread....I assure you....This " New Red ".....2 beams....and a worse raw divergence than the 044....I will not waste any time attempting to hammer this output into something for a HH unit.

The Earth will just have to take a few more trips'round the Sun....and...maybe then we will have more useful raw red power....sigh !!

Beam Out

It would seem so, CD. Wish it weren't the case, but what're you gonna do?

Wait !! And hope that there will be enough of a commercial need for a 2W Red LD, with an emitter size that is optically able to be corrected ! sigh...it has been many years since the 63193 was introduced. :whistle::whistle:

Beam Out

I am not holding my breath that we will get a direct 638nm diode with greater output at less divergence.

Thanx Jordi for the facts. Well...I think we are still stuck with the Mitsu /Oclarro ....pushed to 1W Red. Seems Odd....

From what's been reported, the Sharp GH0637AA2G (700mw @ 638nm) seems to have a far better divergence (at least in most reports) than the Mitsu P73 or the Oclaro and appears to have less beam trash to boot. See 1st picture and description at

https://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-my-new-635nm-900mw-diode-two-pins-102321-2.html

and also the picture I have attached to this post that was originally posted by thanhtung, in the same thread linked above (I magnified using a nice fractal based enlargement plugin for Photoshop, it was a little hard to see the details before enlargement).. showing the the spots after traveling what appears to be well over a few hundred feet of the Sharp 700 next to an Oclaro PLTB450B which has quite good divergence to compare the Sharp against, better than a M462 or M140. The Sharp 638 appears larger.. but not by much.

I'm really quite surprised that this diode hasn't taken the position of the P73's successor in the community's mind, perhaps I'm missing something or maybe the good word just hasn't spread about it yet.

Attachments

• 40077126002_518f69be84_z.jpg
    40077126002_518f69be84_z.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Got a link to where one could be purchased? That, or the price, could be a reason.

Got a link to where one could be purchased? That, or the price, could be a reason.

he is talking about the newer red diode that came from DTR.the price is quiet good thought.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/sharp-700mw-638-diodes-gh0637aa2g

i think we don't see it in builds because everyone already have a red oclaro or p73 build so most of us would't make a new one for small gains.i agree that if someone is going to make a new red build would be the best choice

Maybe it isn’t getting as high as 1.1-1.3w like the mitts, Don’t know just saying!

When theres more peaple that have tried 1.2-1.4a on this diode we will see!

Edit: Ok I just saw 1w at 1.2a not bad at all!

Last edited:
I wonder why Jordan hasn't shown these divergence comparisons? He is usually pretty good about that, especially when the divergence is supposed to be so very much better than what is already out there. It would definitely increase sales if this were true.

I wonder if the only comparison we've seen is a good comparison? Using the same lenses and pushed to their optimum maximum power?

Thanks for that information, logsquared. I look forward to your side by side test after correction between this diode and the P73.